10.0.8 - 2013.03.28 112 DAYS Thursday
10.0.9 - 2013.07.30 124 DAYS Tuesday
10.1.0 - 2013.12.19 148 DAYS Thursday
10.1.1 - 2014.01.16 28 DAYS Thursday
10.1.2 - 2014.06.27 162 DAYS Friday
10.1.3 - 2014.08.19 53 DAYS Tuesday
10.1.4 - 2014.11.25 105 DAYS Tuesday

• Bold indicates "Feature" update.

Happy 2015 everyone. I though we might get things started, as we've had over a month since the release of 10.1.4 to put things into perspective.

2014 saw 3 maintenance releases and one feature update [10.1.2] which primarily refined and expanded the improvements to the new Library structure which was introduced with 10.1 in December 2013.

The high and low ends of past FCP X Feature releases puts the next update anywhere between February 9th [76 days] and May 6th [162 days].

The average interval for a Feature releases remains 122 days, which would be a release date of March 27.

As has been the case for 2014, my most wanted improvement to FCP X, along with stability and performance improvements, is improved Roles tagging, and expanded Role use for timeline organization and audio mixing.

FCP X has not had a feature update since the release of OSX 10.10 Yosemite, meaning that we could possibly see an update to the UI to match Yosemite's more flattened aesthetic.

Philip Hodgetts has also blogged about the numerous improvements to AVFoundation in Yosemite, which could point to some interesting developments for the software.

www.philiphodgetts.com/2014/10/avfoundat...upgrade-in-yosemite/

Extensions have seen fairly little use on the Mac as of yet. It's rumoured that Apple's iPhoto/Aperture replacement Photos will use extensions for expanded 3rd party functionality. So that could be an interesting bellwether for Final Cut's future.

I'm tempted to say we should expect the next update just before NAB in early April, but I wouldn't bet on Apple altering their own internal schedules unless the timing just works out. That said, Apple has had some kind of update for FCP X just before NAB for 3 out of the last 4 years- so there's that. My dream is to have Apple back at NAB like they used to, but unless something drastic changes I doubt that will happen.

The FCP X edited feature FOCUS opens February 27th. If we're going to see any promotion on Apple's part about this, it should happen just before or after the film opens.

Guys like Sam Mestman have expressed excitement about this year.

Let's see what happens!
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.
The topic has been locked.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Jan 2015 05:23 #57987

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1279
What determines a release is a "feature update"? Wouldn't 10.1.4 adding MXF be a feature update? I've always wondered how folks determined what previously non-existant functions qualify an update to be a "feature update", and which don't. Never understood that...

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Jan 2015 09:56 #57991

• TGC
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Commercials, music video & film editor at Trim
  • Thank you received: 8
MXF support was actually included in the Pro Codecs update. It enables MXF in back in 10.1.3 and even fcp7. The rest of the updates were bug fixes.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Jan 2015 11:29 #57994

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Something similar happened with the 10.0.8 update. It improved FCPX stability and fixed bugs (which doesn't qualify it as a "feature update"). But at the same time, Apple released the "ProApps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.2" with support for many professional formats. In my opinion, this is not exactly a "FCPX feature", since other applications inside the OS can take advantage of these codecs. That's why it comes as a separate download.
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Jan 2015 14:06 #58000

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Disproportionate Pictures's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64

BenB wrote: What determines a release is a "feature update"? Wouldn't 10.1.4 adding MXF be a feature update? I've always wondered how folks determined what previously non-existant functions qualify an update to be a "feature update", and which don't. Never understood that...

I basically go by Apple's own release notes. in most cases maintenance releases are pretty clear- a lot of line items for "fixes something something" and the oft-used "improves stability and performance".

10.1.4 was tricky, but as others have mentioned, all the new MXF functionality comes via the ProCodecs update, and not FCPX 10.1.4 itself. Philip Hodgetts has mentioned that it appears no underlying code has changed in this release, so he calls it a maintenance update and I'll defer to him on that.

For a long time I wondered if 10.0.5 was a feature update, adding Retina support- but while I'm sure it was a load of work for someone, it doesn't add any functionality to the software, and isn't even mentioned on Apple's release notes page anymore.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Jan 2015 17:26 #58013

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661
Today, this blog caught a lot of attention:
www.marco.org/2015/01/04/apple-lost-functional-high-ground

Wether you share this opinion or not... this two sentences are true and in some sort alarming:

"… We don’t need major OS releases every year. We don’t need each OS release to have a huge list of new features. …"

Now, imagine, a highly OS-integrated app as FCPX has to follow this pace… plus, your main market's (Video makers) first priority is 'rock-solidness' … would be interesting to watch a meeting of Team MacOS vs. Team FCPX :pinch:

... just to add an perspective ............

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Jan 2015 18:03 #58019

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I have to very much disagree with pretty much everything in that article. Much of that is the opinion of one frustrated individual with a chip on his shoulder. There's no solid evidence presented for anything he says.

If an OS did not introduce major improvements and innovations every year, it would get outdated and fall so far behind the competition, it would be a waste of effort to even publish it. Technology is moving fast, faster than ever, it is tough to keep up with, but if Apple doesn't, it will die. FCPX has been following this pace just fine since version 1.

If you think Yosemite and FCPX are not solid, check out any other OS and the top end NLE running on it.

Just to keep things in a clear, factual perspective.

Back to my original question, some of the "bug updates" did in fact have one or two new functions that did not exist before. But they're listed at bug fixes, not features. Does "undocumented" mean it isn't a "new feature" and not a feature update? Just something to think about. There's no real answer.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Jan 2015 18:39 #58022

• Karsten Schlüter

BenB wrote: …Just to keep things in a clear, factual perspective.… ….

… discussing an opinion 'factual' - great! LOL!
I'm always impressed how Americans 'just do' things … great.-

sorry for threadjacking, back2topic .......... :) :) :)

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Jan 2015 18:43 #58024

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
In a Facebook group this came up, and I was back and forth with Philip Hodgetts about what defined feature releases.

At one point he said that he theorized the only true "feature update" may have been 10.1. I'd mentioned that releases like 10.0.3 and 10.0.6 has arguably as many new features as 10.1- he wondered if those all fell under, "improvements to existing functionality".

Under that line of thinking, I wondered if it was pure coincidence that we went from 10.0.9 to 10.1, and that we could have skipped over several of the 10.0.X numbers if they felt that they were ready to make the next "big" step; like they do with OSX releases, which hardly ever get past something like 10.9.5 (as is with Mavericks), before moving on to the next major version.

So far, we haven't skipped any numbers in FCPX development, but many on the boards here keep thinking that at some point we'll jump to 10.2, rather than 10.1.5. It's always possible, but it hasn't happened yet- so I bet against it purely on past history.

As to Marco Arment's article, I listen to his Accident Tech Podcast, mostly for John Siricusa, and I generally agree and disagree with him in equal measure. He did some smart work on predicting that the current MacPro would be left out of 5K displays, and I think he's right there.

It's certainly true that I don't feel as confident about Mac software as I used to. Personally, I think launching the new Photos service without the new Photos app on the Mac was a terrible idea, creating a lot of confusion.

Either way, I think Apple gets dinged. Don't move fast enough and people will say you're lagging behind. Move too fast and people say you're biting off more than you can chew and letting quality fall by the wayside. So it's always a balance between those two.

If I had to choose a side to err on, I'll take stability though- and I think Apple could stand to "circle the wagons" on a couple of things and really nail them down before moving ahead.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Jan 2015 22:14 #58034

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Karsten Schlüter wrote:

BenB wrote: …Just to keep things in a clear, factual perspective.… ….

… discussing an opinion 'factual' - great! LOL!
I'm always impressed how Americans 'just do' things … great.-

sorry for threadjacking, back2topic .......... :) :) :)

Americans? Really? I think you're twisting what I stated. There are the facts of technological development, and there are opinions about it. Don't think I confused the two at all.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Jan 2015 22:38 #58036

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 733
I think next will be a maintenance release. The GUI needs to be updated. Stuff like device compatibility needs to include iPhone 6 and 6+. In addition H.265 Apple device compatibility needs to be included in both FCPX and iTunes and Yosemite. The file format is great and works on mobile devices so it needs to be included ASAP.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Jan 2015 22:44 #58037

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm also hoping to finally see some movement on h.265 this year. I'm very much hoping it's part of Apple's aTV upgrade plans this year.

First, re-encoding all their 1080 content to h.265 at a rate that give both a bit of file-size savings and a huge quality increase- ending the boogyman of digital downloads, micro-blocking.

Second, as is seemingly the trend of CES announcements this year, opening up iTunes to optional 4K downloads.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Jan 2015 01:48 #58040

• whitemax
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I hope the update will support H.265/HEVC decode/encode

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Jan 2015 05:42 #58043

• Karsten Schlüter

Tom Wolsky wrote: …The GUI needs to be updated. …

Save/Load (several!) personal 'window arrangements' is #1 on my list.
Some 'magic' which allows me to finally grab just that insanely *%&§!!-tiny handle for 'fading' in an audio-clip... ! :evil:

What you're thinking of, Tom… ?
Not just Yosemite-cosmetics, I'm sure …  B)

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Jan 2015 06:02 #58045

• Tom Wolsky
There's a long list of feature requests. Either there's a maintenance release soon, or we wait a while for a feature update. The OS GUI changes should have come on Dec. 2nd. Surprised nothing was done to update the app and the dated interface.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Jan 2015 07:42 #58052

• Karsten Schlüter

Tom Wolsky wrote: …The OS GUI changes should have come on Dec. 2nd. Surprised nothing was done to update the app and the dated interface.

I'm noticing a tender smell of NDA in the air, so, I don't further insist, WHAT changes and what's 'dated' ... ;)

We'll see - sooner or later ...
When is 'Photo' announced…? :lol:

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Jan 2015 12:58 #58058

• Tom Wolsky
No NDA. Photos will of course effect development, so the team might be tied to that to that schedule to some extent.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Jan 2015 17:19 #58064

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Tom Wolsky wrote: There's a long list of feature requests. Either there's a maintenance release soon, or we wait a while for a feature update. The OS GUI changes should have come on Dec. 2nd. Surprised nothing was done to update the app and the dated interface.

As the GUI is shared across all ProApps- it's probably not an uncomplicated thing to implement. Who decides on ProApps design? FCPX and Motion had the current look first in 2011, but who made those design calls? And how are they implemented across all the applications?

I don't think Photos for Mac is considered a ProApp, so I'm not sure how much crossover we should expect with the teams involved and overall look and feel.

I'll just be glad when Photos gets released- I'm anxious to see how they've squared the circle between iPhoto and Aperture.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Jan 2015 18:41 #58073

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

Tom Wolsky wrote: I think next will be a maintenance release.

I think it will be exactly the opposite. It already has been stablished quite eloquently by Marcus that 10.1.4 was just a maintenance update. If that's so, then it is the first time in the history of FCPX development that a new OS hasn't been followed by a feature update:

• Mac OS 10.7 Lion was released in July 20, 2011, followed by FCPX 10.0.1 which was a feature update.
  • Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion (July 25, 2012) was followed by FCPX 10.0.6, another feature update.
  • Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks (October 22, 2013) was a big turning point in the OS development, and was followed by FCPX 10.1, which introduced the biggest changes in FCPX as well.
  • Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite (October 16, 2014) also came with major changes in design and functionality, and was followed instead by FCPX 10.1.4, a maintenance release that didn't even incorporate the expected UI redesign.

Why did they make an exception this time? We can all speculate. Maybe the plan is to release the redesigned FCPX 10.1.5 in February to coincide with the premiere of "Focus", the first studio feature cut in X?

Whatever the reason might be, this slight detour or exception in the development cycle of FCPX (until now, a new OS would be followed by a Final Cut feature update) in my mind suggests that 10.1.5 is going to be a very special release. Let's hope it is!
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es
Last edit: by JPM Editor.

10.1.5 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Jan 2015 19:09 #58074

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Just a couple of corrections JPM-

While FCPX releases followed both Lion and Mountain Lion, neither OS updates were required to run the new versions of Final Cut (and so did not leverage OS improvements). 10.1 was the first Final Cut update that mandated being on the newest OS (Mavericks), which was necessary for the new Library structure. And the current version runs fine on both Yosemite and Mavericks...

So I'm not sure there's a specific intended correlation between the two, as far as tying into the MacOS releases, except with 10.1.

But the next release could well lean on Yosemite- Philip Hodgetts makes a good case for frameworks that could be used in FCP X features.

Again, development on FCP is sort of a black box that few have seen (and those who have don't get to talk about). Whether a GUI update and "feature" updates are things that could be done by the team in parallel, or one after another is totally unknown. If they do have to be done in separate releases, which gets priority? A new coat of paint or added functionality?