fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How i created a game-clock/time-code generator showing source-TC, not projects-TC

How i created a game-clock/time-code generator showing source-TC, not projects-TC 12 Sep 2014 11:59 #52600

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Karsten Schlüter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 647
Hi everybody,

for my hobby weekly sports-reports, I'd like to have a game-clock => a title-generator, automatically displaying the source' TC:

As you probably know, applying a TC-generator to a project displays only the Projects TC... but my audience wants to know, when the scene happened, not at what given position in the timeline I edited that :silly:

The workaround is quiet easy, thanks to forum member Benny, who gave the crucial hint, that the TC-Gen in a Compound keeps the original TC. (!!)

I don't like Compounds … in 90% cases the reason for all evil ;)
But, lucky me, I'm using Multi-Cam for editing my synched 3-7 cameras - and MultiCam is just a special breed o fCompound:

When the MC is done, I create in the MC's timeline view a 'New Camera' and add my custom-made title:

This title has a few settings, e.g. switching the two positions of the teams names (home/outward), team colors; and a tricky one: if the time is beyond 59:24, a rig-controlled combo of rectangles and Text covers the first digit and put a '6' (or 7 or 8) over it, to create a "61:20" instead of a non-standard "01:01:20" ...

When edit is finished, all I have to do is alt-dragging (thanks Ronny for teaching me this trick) each MC-clip, and hit '2' = the title-track:

Yepp, sounds a bit complicated, but it isn't. Much faster than read-out manually the skimmer-info of each scene in the Events-browser and typing numbers into a Title-generator...

I'm open for suggestions - if you know an even more simplistic method, let me/us know.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

How i created a game-clock/time-code generator showing source-TC, not projects-TC 12 Sep 2014 14:10 #52609

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 892
Hey Karsten,

Thank you for sharing your workflow. An interesting solution indeed!

- Ronny

How i created a game-clock/time-code generator showing source-TC, not projects-TC 14 Sep 2014 07:53 #52681

• Karsten Schlüter
Thanks for the flowers, Ronny! :)

yep, it's probably just for my workflow a solution.
and it's some sort-of 'resurrection track based editing', by doubling a (Multicam) clip ... :evil:

But as long as Apple doesn't offer source' TC avail for generators, I have to live with it...

Have completed the first two projects with - works like charm.-

How i created a game-clock/time-code generator showing source-TC, not projects-TC 13 Mar 2018 19:13 #94637

• jacquesw
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Any update to this method?

How i created a game-clock/time-code generator showing source-TC, not projects-TC 14 Mar 2018 05:17 #94643

• Karsten Schlüter
Welcome, Jaques, to fop.co :)

jacquesw wrote: Any update to this method?

… thanks for reminding me to my ol' workaround.
It looks like, there was a fix, which is actually de-fixed by the latest updates.

Story goes like this:
honorable board-member and even more crazy soccer-Dad than me, Tobi noted me, the Timecode Generator in FCPX vers10.3x was different to the one in Motion5,3:
It offered the Option, to show the SOURCE' time-code … aka a perfect method to read-out 'match-time'.

BUT, checking this method this minute, I'm puzzled: Apple seems to have changed that again: you are allowed to select Source, but it doesn't show the TC of the recording, just the TC relatively to the start of the actual selection!

Which makes a huge difference, for example:
your original clip was recorded from 10:00am to 10:30
you select in this clip 10:22 - 10:24

=> TC generator shows 00.00 - 00:02
in vers 10.3, the TCgen would have shown correctly 10:22 - 10:24 …
(and the 'same' TCgen in Motion 5.3,/5.4 does not allow to show ANY source' TC…)

Had contacted others, to check this new misbehave …
Looks like feedback time <sigh> again, and another disimprove …
Attachments:

Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

How i created a game-clock/time-code generator showing source-TC, not projects-TC 14 Mar 2018 17:12 #94654

• jacquesw
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Karsten. Please let me (us) know how to create this 'clock.' I can easily revert back to FCP 10.3.4 if that helps matters.

Jacques

How i created a game-clock/time-code generator showing source-TC, not projects-TC 10 Jan 2020 18:06 #103843

• Hansi2124
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I am looking for some time for this kind of generator as well. I record soccer games with one camera and edit an overview of about 8 minutes in FCPX (always latest version).
Can you tell me how to do this please?
Greetings Hans

How i created a game-clock/time-code generator showing source-TC, not projects-TC 13 Jan 2020 05:35 #103874

• Karsten Schlüter
Welcome, Hans, to fcp.co :)

hmmm…
Hi Hans,

simple request, complicated answer ;)

For a simple 1-cam highlight edit, I would…
• import your recordings
• skim thru clips J/K/L, select the ‘goodies’ via I/O/F
• switch to Favorites only, cmd-a to select all, cmd-e to add to a new timeline

That was the fun part, now to the complicated one …

• Add the Time/Date Title to first clip
• cmd-c copy it
• jump via cursor-right to next clip, cmd-v …
=> you have to add this Title individually to each clip to allow it to grab the ‘content created’ time-stamp individually …

repeat last step to each clip in Projects Timeline…
If you want to customize the design, you have to open a copy of this title in Motion5 …

A real Match Clock, like I did in my reports, is way more complicated, demanding masking, patches, yaddayadda, due to FCPX/M5 do not support ’sports-time-counting’, means TC 01:55:00 = 115th minute; demands lots of tinkering …
The method, I suggested in this thread was only needed due to the fact, some versions of FCPX didn’t read out the content-created off clips …

Just noticing!!!
I remember, in version 10.3 of FCPX, I was able to ‘manually’ read-out the Content-Creation-TiMe/Date via the Skimmer Info - not so anymore (??) …hmm?

Needs more time for investigation … sorry, Hans, for being no better help (I’m not producing any football reports anymore for quiet a while, my son meanwhile plays and studies in the USofA => the whole soccer-stuff is in some boxes, well hidden in the cellar LOL)

How i created a game-clock/time-code generator showing source-TC, not projects-TC 16 Jan 2020 15:14 #103942

• Hansi2124
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Karsten.
It sure is a hell of a job :( and takes a lot of time (wich I usually don't have...). But I will give it a try.

• Page: