fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Splitting up large libraries in 10.1.2 28 Jul 2014 22:59 #50620

How do you split a library into smaller Libraries.
I have all my media for the feature doc I am working on now in one oppressively large Library (8TB+)
This is making FCPX super slow and I now realize that maybe I should have split this up into smaller libraries
ie 2011,2012,2013,2014… but I still want to keep the media all on my 20TB Drobo ThunderBolt (so I don’t want to copy the files I just want to move them) what is the best way to do this without disrupting the order of things?
Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Splitting up large libraries in 10.1.2 28 Jul 2014 23:08 #50621

The first problem is that all the media is inside the library. I would suggest the first thing you do is to set an external location for the media and then consolidate it into that location. You can then split up the library, grouping events together in separate libraries to keep them leaner, while keeping all the media external.

Splitting up large libraries in 10.1.2 04 Oct 2022 13:33 #122365

Hi there, reviving this thread - I have an 11TB library and it is SLOW as heck to edit. Would splitting it up help? Is there an optimal size?

My media is imported 'leave in place' so the raid has the camera card structures still in place. The library does contain the proxies though, but I can't move these out the library because then fcpx would move the external media into its system of managing external media which I don't want - I want the camera card structure.

Last edit: by lukeyo.

Splitting up large libraries in 10.1.2 04 Oct 2022 14:08 #122370

If you remove the media and the cache from inside the library, how big the library after that? For large productions it's really best to use external media.

Splitting up large libraries in 10.1.2 04 Oct 2022 14:15 #122371

Happy to move the media out, is there a way to do that but keep the camera card structure?

Lib is 1.2TB, if I took out the proxies it would be tiny

Splitting up large libraries in 10.1.2 04 Oct 2022 14:19 #122373

Definitely move out the proxies. Unfortunately the simple way to move media out is to consolidate it to another location, but this loses the folder structure you want I think.

Splitting up large libraries in 10.1.2 04 Oct 2022 14:22 #122375

I may have to go with that in the end thank you.

Before I do though - what is the purpose of the 'leave in place' import option if this is not counted as external media!?

Splitting up large libraries in 10.1.2 04 Oct 2022 14:51 #122377

Leave in place unfortunately will not work with media in a camera card structure.

Splitting up large libraries in 10.1.2 05 Oct 2022 19:23 #122399

It is for this reason that many of us use an app called EditReady. Open the app, drop your card/folder structure on it, and choose your output.

If it isn't Long-GOP media, I just re-wrap to a new folder, and then Leave In Place importing works as expected.
If it is Long-GOP, I'll transcode to ProRes instead.

hedge.video/editready

• Page: