fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

GoPro vs iPhone Color Accuracy 24 Aug 2022 00:46 #121941

• Larrie
  • Larrie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 15
I find that iPhone footage needs very little color correction when imported into FCP. This seems to apply to both interior and exterior clips. To me the color accuracy, even with mixed lighting sources, is amazing.

Am wondering if the same can be said for Gopro footage? Does anyone have any experience comparing the same scenes shot with both cameras?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

GoPro vs iPhone Color Accuracy 24 Aug 2022 12:08 #121944

I think it all depends on how critical you are. I wouldn't consider either of them accurate. Both render very high-contrast images. They have a punchy look, but it's not necessarily accurate. I'd say as far as color, the iPhone is pretty good, but better when you use FiLMiC Pro instead of the native camera app. With GoPros, it depends on which model GoPro, since the color science and look has changed over the years. GoPro footage suffers from noise in the shadow areas. Both cameras can exhibit bad compression noise, especially with fast movement. Because of shutter angle, both tend to be very crisp with a strobing appearance to movement. Matching cameras between an iPhone and a GoPro in an A/B-camera scenario is a challenge at best. Neither holds up well to heavy color correction.

GoPro vs iPhone Color Accuracy 24 Aug 2022 16:31 #121954

• VTC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 70

Matching cameras between an iPhone and a GoPro in an A/B-camera scenario is a challenge at best. Neither holds up well to heavy color correction.

My exact thoughts. As long as you're editing for the taste of what I call the 'pedestrian' viewer who wouldn't for the most part pick up on color shift or that much feared noise in the shadows that keep 'pros' awake at night you'll do fine. Merging the disparate properties from both cameras may be a workout but you can get close enough satisfy them, but likely not those perusing this forum.

• Page: