TOPIC: Shooting exhibition, auto WB or manual

Shooting exhibition, auto WB or manual 30 Jan 2020 23:41 #104232

• Toivonen
  • Toivonen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

I’m going to shoot video in exhibition and I’m wonderig what’s the best and easiest way to set WB. I’m shooting in manual mode with auto ISO. Should I set WB to auto, set pre-defined manual WB or would it be easiest way to use grey card in every different set to make editing easy as possible?

How would you do it?

Thanks,
Tomi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Shooting exhibition, auto WB or manual 31 Jan 2020 03:38 #104236

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 412
White balance is easy enough to do in post, but you really shouldn't. I always leave my cameras on auto WB, but I'm sure someone else may say manually set it. I do set it manually in some instances, every now and then. Depends on th environment and the camera.

Shooting exhibition, auto WB or manual 31 Jan 2020 07:35 #104240

• Toivonen
  • Toivonen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for your reply.

I normally use AutoWB. Shooting in exhibition is a bit different as there's multiple different color light sources. This causes AutoWB to miss quite often and I think it's even harder to fix in post when WB is jumping up and down.
I'm doing some moving and rotating, so there's gonna be same WB variation in each clip. In this case there's motorbikes and if WB is of, I think bikes look bad.
There's no perfect solution, but color correcting with keyframes will fix most of the issues as long there is no huge WB variation in clips. I'm not so worried about variation from clip to another, but the variation in one clip.

Maybe I will start with AutoWB and check if WB is constant enough, I will stay with that.

Tomi

Last edit: by Toivonen.
  • Page: