• Page:

TOPIC: Best Compressor settings for mobile streaming

Best Compressor settings for mobile streaming 27 Jul 2015 11:56 #66873

• willintheabyss
  • willintheabyss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All, long time reader first time poster (as I need help)

I'm self employed and create short videos (under 10 mins) for clients. Each video is hosted on my Cloud Server and streamed to a clients mobile device directly.

I am using FCPX, a Mac Pro (trashcan) and Compressor 4.2.

What are the best .mp4 compressor export settings for my videos? they need to be:
- small file sizes but good quality
- work across as many mobile devices as possible (android and iOS)
- Begin playing instantly

The current problem I am having on my current settings are that after 30 seconds the videos pixilate :dry:

Hope you can shed some light on this issue for me
Many thanks
Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Best Compressor settings for mobile streaming 02 Aug 2015 15:57 #67091

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
H.264 is pretty universal, with the .m4v suffix. Look at the "Apple Devices" preset (Add To iTunes Library collection).

Best Compressor settings for mobile streaming 10 Feb 2016 23:24 #73202

• fsorvin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Will,

I've got a set of Compressor presets you can try. They're built for streaming, and include mobile streaming presets, from 480x260 at 400kbps to 1280x720 at 3000kbps.

You can downloaded here:
http://web.uvic.ca/~fsorvin/05-projects/CompressorSettings.zip

I've got a page of instructions explaining the thinking behind them that might help too.

http://web.uvic.ca/~fsorvin/02-blog/my_compressor_presets.html

Hope it helps!

Best Compressor settings for mobile streaming 11 Feb 2016 09:42 #73217

• willintheabyss
  • willintheabyss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
cheers man, really appreciate this

I am currently exporting from FCPX uncompressed then taking it into Handbrake to compress it for mobile devices.

I am reading through your site to try get a better understanding of all the mobile device settings etc and what they mean/do but its hard.

for my clients the videos need to stream from our cloud server onto their mobile device, they have a range of mobile devices and OS's from high end to low end both Apple and Android, tablet and smart phone

The footage needs to be good quality but also small file size so it streams quick and works smoothly. the client may rewind/ff the footage on their device regularly

Best Compressor settings for mobile streaming 16 Feb 2016 00:09 #73381

• fsorvin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I agree, it is hard when dealing with so many mobile devices! Two major OS's, loads of models, and who knows what the phone manufacturers are doing with modifying Android. It will mess you up.

Apple's article, https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/technotes/tn2224/_index.html , is a good place to start. Its about the only published article on what do with at the Apple devices. For Android, good luck finding decent documentation. Let me know if you have any ideas.

The only trouble with Apple's article, it's out of date. No iPhone 6 on there.

You're kind of left making some hard choices. For me it comes down to what I can best provide, based on realistic expectations of bandwidth, server storage and capability.

I'd rather make a really nice looking video, at a smaller picture dimensions than a really pixelated and artifacted video at larger picture dimensions. Smaller picture dimensions will scale larger. Artifacts just look ugly, no matter what.

Apple's article recommends up to 8 different variants, from really crappy 416x234 at 12 fps to 1920x1080 at 30 fps. One will not look good on a mobile, and the other will not work well on a moble network.

My thinking these days is to just pick one variant. One that will work best on mobile, no matter what. 640x360, at 1035kbps (29.97) or 868 kbps (23.976), baseline H.264 will play on everything mobile I know of and look pretty darn decent.

Start there and see what you think.

• Page: