fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Apple Compressor 4.2 & x264 challenge!

Apple Compressor 4.2 & x264 challenge! 18 May 2015 09:13 #64650

• paurray
  • paurray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Absence of Quality is the essence of squareness.
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi, hi

I have recently started encoding videos for Vimeo and frankly find the quality pretty grotty.
I did some research online and found a number of very plausible sources saying that x264 was the way to go for that extra mile!
Some where in the depths of the World Wide Web I down loaded the component and installed it in my Library/Quick Time.
The nearest thing that I found to an explanation of how to use this in Compressor was here:

discussions.apple.com/thread/5682553

I followed the instructions and can actually see the component show up in compressor!
i.e. when I add a new quick time setting and hit that change button the video tab for the Custom QT setting that I set up!

OK so, I select H.264 (x264) from the list and click OK.
But the switch does not seem to happen.
i.e. I see in the setting pane H.264 and not H.264 (x264)
And if i go and try and re-edit/change my setting I see that it has reverted to H.264.

I have tried saving an alternative custom setting in Compressor (e.g. photo jpeg) and this works.
Also it looks as if this is working in MPEG stream clip!!!
i.e. the H.264 (x264) setting!?!

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

thanks in advance

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Apple Compressor 4.2 & x264 challenge! 21 May 2015 13:26 #64786

• Russ Haskell
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
At one time I used x.264 whenever I needed aggressive compressions (smaller files) sizes. Since Compressor offered more H,264 options (e,g., CABAC entropy) I've used it only occasionally. I just tested it and it seems to be working as usual here.

Not sure from your description what's going on. Do you have an Options button in the bottom left of the Compression Settings dialog window? If you click the button, do you get another settings dialog with 4 tabs?

Another thought: if you haven't already, try using Handbrake to output an x,264 file. See whether the quality is superior.

Russ

Apple Compressor 4.2 & x264 challenge! 28 May 2015 09:04 #65041

• paurray
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Russ

Sorry about the slow reply. And thank you for taking the time to post.
I used MPEG Stream clip and that worked technicaly.
However the result was even worse.

In the end I was on Vimeo and saw an encoded file that I really liked (quality) & downloaded.
I then dragged the file into Compressor onto the custom folder and saved it as a custom preset.
Thus I got someone else's encoded settings which were H.264 but looked really good.
Something that I did notice was that CABAC was selected for these said custom settings.
So maybe the CABAC thing is mission critical.

again thanks

Paul

Apple Compressor 4.2 & x264 challenge! 05 Jun 2015 01:24 #65235

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1280
I export a ProRes 422 file, and upload that, let Vimeo do the encoding for me, great results 100 percent of the time. Uploading may take some time if you have a slower connection, but it is worth the wait.

If you're on the latest Compressor version, I have a preset based on Vimeo's own guidelines that works great, also.

Last edit: by BenB.

Apple Compressor 4.2 & x264 challenge! 05 Jun 2015 05:55 #65242

• paurray
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Ben

Thanks for chipping in here.
You probably know me from some of the forums, sites portals etc
www.finalbug.tv/index.php/webinars
If you could send me that preset via mail paul(at)finalbug.tv
I would be very grateful.
Upgrading my internet In September so I should be able to do some decent uploading.
Also currently on the standard Vimeo but this will probably inevitably change too...

thanks in advance a fellow trainer :-)

Paul

Apple Compressor 4.2 & x264 challenge! 02 Feb 2016 21:27 #72858

• fsorvin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I've also tried hotrodding the x264 quicktime component in Compressor.

I played with it a fair bit, but I always found I couldn't have the kind of control I needed over the profile (Baseline, Main, or High). Even if I set it to High, for example, it would produce an mp4 with Main profile. Not good.

I started comparing the results to the results I could produce in Handbrake using x264 to what I could produce in Compressor with x264. Handbrake's files where much smaller, less artifacted and the profile and other settings came out as I set them. Handbrake is basically a GUI for FFMPEG, which is a pretty kick-ass encoder.

So now I use Handbrake when I need a really great mp4, and Compressor (using the Apple codec) when I need something quick and dirty.

If you're interested, I developed a set of Handbrake presets that you can download. You can also see what I'm talking about with samples here:

http://web.uvic.ca/~fsorvin/02-blog/better_compression_with_x264.html

Apple Compressor 4.2 & x264 challenge! 01 Nov 2017 16:39 #91432

• siddhartha.nayanananda
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there, I'm encoding x264 with compressor but we can only use x264 for MOV exports. If we want to export mp4 it only export with H264. And it's hard to edit the settings of x264. I end up bringing the MeGUI with vine to the Mac which have best control with x264. But for now MeGUI is exporting square and horizontal, problem when exporting 16x9 stuff.
You can find some settings in compressor mov x264 on - QuickTime settings /x264 Encoder/Options/Load preset/Use Library native preset/tune/and there are x264 presets and tunes.

I found that Compressor Quality slider is the main controller to control x264 file size. So you don't have to go inside to fine-tune it.
If you need any info please contact me. Thank you.
https://ibb.co/cLE6Xb
https://ibb.co/gUgWyG

• Page: