fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
Third Party Products for FCP
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How should I manage my Drives in a 4 bay Thunderbolt Enclosure? 05 Feb 2016 13:24 #72993

• DKatz
  • DKatz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I want to work out the best way to configure: 4 x 4tb drives on a OWC thunderbolt enclosure, for my project.

The overall project is made up of 2 Episodes.

Existing workflow at another site is: Project is being shot on c300, then being transcoded to Prores for use in FCP X.
I'm assuming I'll have a total of 3.5TB's of Original Rushes/Transcoded material per Episode.

Q: Can I Stripe/mirror 1 pair of 4TB drives per Episode or should I create a RAID 5 across all 4 drives.
Either way, I figure I will have to back up media externally per Episode for safety. The benefit for me having 2 pairs of usable drives rather than 1 big one would be I could remove and send 1 pair of drives to the other site for further post or collaboration.

Additional info: I also have a Orico USB 3 dock for importing Rushes. The library I figure would be best on my internal drive.

Many thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How should I manage my Drives in a 4 bay Thunderbolt Enclosure? 10 Feb 2016 12:44 #73183

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
Make the whole thing RAID 5. Dicking around with other cut up configurations will cause more slowdown and confusion than it's worth. You end up with a 12TB RAID 5 that is super fast and will give you about the best performance you'll see anywhere. We're using Pegasus P2 RAIDs for our show, with OWC RAIDs for backups. Because the P2s have faster through put than just about anything else. Our OWC backups are USB 3.0, not T'bolt.

First, the more you cut up that RAID enclosure, the more storage space you lose.

Use the FCPX Library system to manage your media, not cutting up a perfectly good drive.

Once you RAID 2 or more drives, you can NOT remove them from that enclosure. That RAID unit has its own controller board, that ID's those drives, and needs to manage them. If you put them into a different RAID enclosure, they won't be recognized as belonging together.

For collaboration, and we are doing this for a TV series, between 3 editors and a producer, none of whom are in the same city, is we set up our Libraries on our main working RAID during DIT. Then we clone that to a RAID for each editor, and one for the producer (plus backup for storing at the main office). All media is external. This way, we just send each other copies of the Library we're working on (XML sucks in FCPX, too much is dysfunctional, doesn't transfer). They're small enough to zip up and email or Dropbox to each other pretty easily. Plus we have versioning of those Libraries. Each episode is its own Library, BTW.

Yes, you will need a second RAID to back up to. Even if you cut up that one RAID, it is a single enclosure unit, and needs a separate one for reliable backups. Because, although not common, RAID enclosures go bad, and you lose everything on all drives, no matter how they're configured.

Don't put anything on your internal drive, period.

How should I manage my Drives in a 4 bay Thunderbolt Enclosure? 10 Feb 2016 15:53 #73190

• DKatz
  • DKatz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Ben,

That's really useful to hear.. I went round and round with Apple about how best to config drives for their software.
Standard lines were, "keep everything on internal drives, don't worry about RAID and speak to the drive manufacturers."

Good to hear some real world experience. So the library on internal you wouldn't go for? Is there more to it than being a data file and do they work better on the same drive as the media?

Cheers

D

• Page: