fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Using Matrox LE monitoring with nMP & FCPX 10.1.2 (is the Matrox unit now redundant?) 07 Jul 2014 22:48 #49394

• jvasey
  • jvasey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
I've made the move from my older editing system based on FCP 7 to FCPX. And I own a Matrox LE which in the older system gave me broadcast quality monitoring and color calibration to a 1080 display screen.

The question is...can I/ should I...continue to use the Matrox LE in my newer system configuration with the nMP 2013? Or might it become "redundant" if I am working with the new Mac Pro's HDMI broadcast accurate output and FCPX 10.1.2's new???? ability to output full screen (w/o showing transport controls) via HDMI out to a third monitor via A/V playback settings?

My new system is looking like this:

nMP

FCPX 10.1.2

(2) Dell Ultrasharp 2713HM monitors (2560x1440)...one primarily for the FCPX Browser clip list and other for the timeline, etc. (these monitors are yet to be purchased)

(1) 27" HP monitor I already own (1920 x 1200 resolution for viewing 1080x1020) as external output for monitoring full screen playback (using the nMP's HDMI output/AV setting). The HP was my display monitor using the Matrox LE when working in FCP 7.

In my old system with a Mac Pro 1.1, a Pcie card inside the tower was outputting to the Matrox LE when then gave me an HDMI out to my external monitor for viewing.

And here is where I ask the key question, it sounds like if I try to insert the Matrox unit into my new system, it might be "redundant"...save it's "old school" ability to live convert incoming tape signals and scale on the fly to different formats that was valuable in FCP 7.

Or does the Matrox still have some value left (superior color output?) for the new nMP/FCPX system when it outputs to a display screen?

Would like to hear others chime in with advice on how to proceed...or not...with the Matrox LE.

Also, a related secondary question....

If anyone has suggestions on nMP cabling to the Dell Ultrasharps, I would love to hear it. I was going to ask if one could go from a mini-display plug (from out of the nMP's TB port) and then thru a Displayport adaptor -- go directly into the Dell that way -- which might (?) hopefully handle that higher resolution (2560 x 1440). The Dell Ultrasharps have Displayport 1.2, DVI, HDMI, and USB 3.

Or if that's not possible, use the pricey "active" Mini-Displayport to Dual LInk DVI adaptor ($99) that Apple sells. In addition that option hogs one of the USB ports out of the nMP as well as a TB out. And to output to two screens, sounds like I would need to buy 2 of those adaptors.

It almost makes me want to further explore LG's 34UM95-P 34" WS monitor (21:9 display, 3440x1440) with Thunderbolt...and avoid the messy cabling issues and consolidate two monitors into one. However, if I'm trying to put FCPX's Browser clip list into a walled off space by itself, not sure I could do that using only the LG.

Many thanks for any advice on Matrox's value (?) with nMP/FCPX -- and any display cabling suggestions with the Dell monitors would be greatly appreciated…

John

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: