fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

I'm getting a bit worried while waiting for nMP 18 Mar 2014 06:08 #42894

• Living Smart TV
  • Living Smart TV's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • TV-vært, blogger, fotograf, forfatter - tjek www.livingsmarttv.dk Sprællemand :)
  • Thank you received: 0
Although the nMP is really tempting, I'm starting to get second thoughts in terms of how much time it will actually save us......

In our studio, we do a daily, 30 min. 3 camera technews show in 1080p for YouTube.

Until now, we've been using a 2010 MacPro 8 core 2.4ghz and a MacBook Pro i7 2013.

In our workflow, we record the show in less than an hour. Importing/transcoding is roughly 30 minutes. Multicam editing takes 2-3 hours in Final Cut Pro X. Exporting / encoding takes around 30 minutes. Upload it yet again around 30 minutes.

While waiting for the 6 core nMP D500 we ordered in January, the numbers I see, are starting to worry me.

It seems that the real difference in day-to-day work on the nMP is considerably less that we expected. It's hard to put numbers on expectations, but we were assuming that the nMP with dual GPU would be more than twice as fast as our existing exporting on the old MP and MbP.

The numbers we see in speed tests seems to be all like a few seconds faster here and there likewww.barefeats.com/tube05.html shows us. For us, it doesn't mean much if an export takes 2-4 minutes more or less - it takes longer to go for the toilet or a cup of coffee anyway.

To me it seems that the parts of our workflow, where we can shave of time, is transcoding and encoding. The editing takes the time it takes anyway.

So I'm getting a bit nervous that the investment is not worth it compared to the machines we already have.

I'd really like to hear from you guys that actually tried the nMP - is it all about 14 seconds faster here end 57 seconds faster there or am I missing / misinterpreting the numbers in stuff like Barefeat.com ?

Note: it almost seems to me that faster storage (like a Pegasus) for our existing MacBook Pro, would give us the same speed boost as the nMP in itself???

Note 2: it almost seems that putting a 7970 gpu (or two) in our MacPro tower instead of the Quadro 4000 we use now, will give the same speedbump as the nMP in itself???

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Living Smart TV.

I'm getting a bit worried while waiting for nMP 19 Mar 2014 05:41 #42971

• Living Smart TV
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • TV-vært, blogger, fotograf, forfatter - tjek www.livingsmarttv.dk Sprællemand :)
Anyone? :)

I'm getting a bit worried while waiting for nMP 19 Mar 2014 05:51 #42972

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
I can tell you that the D700 GPUs seems to give a much more significant performance boost than the D500 GPUs do. If you're spending the money, I'd definitely go with the D700s, and a Tbolt RAID will boost performance A LOT!

Here is some additional info that may help you out.
www.fcp.co/forum/hardware/19653-fcpx-per...st-hardware-encoding

I'm getting a bit worried while waiting for nMP 19 Mar 2014 06:38 #42974

• Living Smart TV
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thank you, Ben!

I would agree that there would / should be a huge difference, but I'm not seeing it in the tests?

When you say that there's a big difference from D500 to D700, I don't understand why Barefeat says it's only a few seconds and i some cases less than a second (!) in their www.barefeats.com/tube05.html where D700 in a 2 min. video is only 0.3 second faster than d500 and only 2-3 seconds faster than my old MacPro tower?

Also, the same seems to be the case in the link you supplied, right? In the first test, the nMP is only marginally faster than our "old" MacBook Pro and it seems to be the case through out the test ?

Even more crazy, the encoding - according to the test in your link - is more than twice as fast on the MacBook Pro, compared to the nMP ????

I'm getting a bit worried while waiting for nMP 19 Mar 2014 13:34 #42985

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
The '13 MP on our tests is blowing the doors off of the '08 MP, except for H.264, which is explained. Not sure how you're reading things. We're testing a 2 minute edit. If i do a half hour edit, those speed increases become more significant.

In real world use, I can tell you first hand a D700 '13 MP blows away everything, and I work with RED and BMD 4k, and BMD UHD, mostly. A new iMac will come close, but not that close.

If you have such serious reservations, stick a pair of matched GPUs in your current MP and be done. BTW, the Quadro is far from the best performing GPU for your system, it has horrid OpenGL performance. Get a pair of better GOUs in it, use that for awhile, don't stress over anything.

But it still won't come close to my new system. My '08 MP drags in real world work next to my '13 MP, sitting here side by side in our studio. Something no lab test will show realistically.

I'm getting a bit worried while waiting for nMP 21 Apr 2014 14:30 #44840

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 207
Hey Kenneth,
Did you get your nMP? Are you seeing much faster workflows/times? Have you replaced your GPU in the MP2010?
Dual GPUs maybe?
Love to hear your thoughts/experiences.
Unfortunately, the links Ben gives compares apples to oranges and unless you have the exact set-ups used, then not very informative as a comparison. There is also a basic lack of info as to media management/export. Really comparing a pair of Seagate 5400rpm drives to a Pegasus2 TB raid 5, a hamstrung MBPi5 with integrated GPU, to a nMP with PCIe flash/dual D700s??? Even the MP2008 vs MP2010 adds some mixed fruit.
It would be interesting to have a real world time comparison using the same project going into the different systems.
Thanks, Greg

• Page: