fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Could you see Final Cut Pro adding node-based editing in the future? 13 Aug 2022 12:22 #121831

I'm discovering more and more how frustrating it is to go back two levels of nested timelines to do a colour correction and then having to come back out to see how this has effected the rest of the layers.

I also find the arrows going back and forward in your previously viewed timelines more of a pain than they're worth; I rarely get where I want to go.

I love the idea of node editing;

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Could you see Final Cut Pro adding node-based editing in the future? 13 Aug 2022 12:59 #121832

Nodes Editing in FCP as in Flame, Mistika, ...? I think we won't see it. Perhaps Resolve could approach to your need

Last edit: by Buhardilla.

Could you see Final Cut Pro adding node-based editing in the future? 13 Aug 2022 14:11 #121834

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 557

I'm discovering more and more how frustrating it is to go back two levels of nested timelines to do a colour correction and then having to come back out to see how this has effected the rest of the layers...

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do that".
Doctor: "Then don't do that".

It's true -- in some cases -- there may be advantages to color grading the parent clips of (for example) a multicam interview. In that case the lighting is consistent and you may be using multiple small ranges from the longer clip. Doing it once on the parent clip might save copying and pasting corrections to multiple clips on the timeline.

But in situations with changing lighting it can be better to do all grading on the final timeline. Or if you have constructed a nested hierarchy of compound clips where each level has color corrections, that can get confusing.

If you do all of the grading on the main timeline, it is actually easy to copy/paste corrections from one "hero" clip to multiple timeline clips with a single command. You Edit>Copy that clip, then select all the target clips and use Edit>Paste Attributes. You can locate all the target clips by several methods. This tutorial about the timeline index may give some ideas:

Re the timeline history, if you right-click that it shows the history list and you can jump straight to those.

However in general FCP is designed to do all the keywording and rating in the event browser, providing a highly curated list of media from which to build the timeline. It is less optimal for copying and pasting material between timelines.

If you want rapid access to all the clips from a previous timeline, you can open that, select Viewer>Browser>Used Media Ranges, then create a smart collection to filter that. Then you keyword those, e.g, "My Previous Timeline", then when you work on your new timeline, the clips from the previous timeline will be available using that keyword.

You're right Resolve has some nice features. I have the Studio version and I use it every day. However the user's manual is 4,019 pages (!!!) and it's a complex product.

Could you see Final Cut Pro adding node-based editing in the future? 13 Aug 2022 14:38 #121836

Well one of (for instance) the main issues (and one I'm currently having) is that I forget to compound a clip before editing.

I do this so often.

That means that the clip is then spread out all over my timeline so when I want to add a look to all instances of that clip I can't just go into the compound and add it there because there is no compound. So I have to find each one and add it and god forbid I wanted to change something after the fact.

As far as I know there's no current solution to this problem.

Could you see Final Cut Pro adding node-based editing in the future? 13 Aug 2022 15:04 #121838

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 557

...I forget to compound a clip before editing...I do this so often. ...the clip is then spread out all over my timeline so when I want to add a look to all instances of that clip I can't just go into the compound and add it there because there is no compound. So I have to find each one and add it and god forbid I wanted to change something after the fact...

Using the timeline index you can isolate every instance of a clip in one step. Do SHFT+CMD+2 to show/hide the timeline index, then enter your clip name. It will instantly isolate all of those. Select first clip you graded, do CTRL+C to copy. Then select all the others, do SHFT+CMD+V to paste attributes.

See also Macbreak Studio #261 "The Power of the Timeline Index":

Could you see Final Cut Pro adding node-based editing in the future? 13 Aug 2022 20:15 #121841

• VTC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 57
I'd be happy for the opportunity to rename the idiotic and vague 'Color Curves 1, Color Curves 2, Color Curves 3', etc. to something more meaningful to what I adjusted and where. It's like the FCP coders never actually used the program themselves to discover what trips editors up.

George Forman may be able to get by naming all his kids 'George' but l need more separation and clarity in my Iife, thank you.

Could you see Final Cut Pro adding node-based editing in the future? 14 Aug 2022 05:05 #121845

Well one of (for instance) the main issues (and one I'm currently having) is that I forget to compound a clip before editing.

I have a similar problem of forgetting what I am doing or forget to do a step. My solution is to list the steps in the order they need to happen on a 4x6 card and then mark them off as I complete the step. The solution is not elegant, although it works for me.

Could you see Final Cut Pro adding node-based editing in the future? 14 Aug 2022 09:47 #121846

Agreed. I even made a script in keyboard maestro that automates the process of compounding clips. You just enter the number and it does it.

But it's still hacky and it's nuts that I can't go back and colour correct the original. It seems like something that would so easy to implement.

I also always always forget to do it.

Could you see Final Cut Pro adding node-based editing in the future? 14 Aug 2022 10:26 #121847

I was thinking about this only yesterday. It's mad that I can't rename them. Tbh I'm getting more and more frustrated with Final Cut Pro and things that I thought would be implemented by now. Here are some of my current bug bears. 1. Plugins and their user interface.
  • 1. Why do developers have to hack a way for plugin sections to be titled by using drop down menus with only one title? Like this:
  •  
  • 2. Plugins just seem such a mess at the moment. If I have a magic bullet look installed or a track paint and try to view the clip in the browser here's how it appears:
  • 
  • 3. "Show in browser" often does not show in browser at all. It selects the place but then I have to scroll down and down until I find it. 4. There's no way to have quick actions that I can find. Like I had better touch tool with buttons for "custom background" and "insert [particular sound effect]" using command post and buffers. But when I had to restore my computer they were all gone. 5. Ditto Keywords. I have to pull up that bloody un-dockable window that gets in the way and only allows for 10. 6. The sound effects panel always takes forever to load. I don't know why.
  • 7. Custom sound effects I've put into the final cut pro library (which is a pain itself with the alias folder) don't show up as sound effects so I have to mark them as such.
  • 8. What's the deal with imported media? Why does some of my media import and others not. When I use the import function i always make sure the copy to Final Cut Pro button is checked but very often I just drag and drop. I have it set up to copy to the media folder in the settings but very very very often something goes offline and I realise it was outside of the project.
  • If only there were a way of it marking what is not in the library before it ends up being a problem.
  • this is just off the top of my head.

Don't get me wrong I love final cut pro and even used it for editing podcasts because I'm fast on it.
Premiere is an ugly slow mess. Blender and Resolve I find confusing and ugly.
If Affinity ever made a video editor I'd probably switch to them.
Attachments:

Last edit: by jamespeach. Reason: adding to list
  • Page: