fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: How do I stop transitions from showing media that I've cut from my clips?

How do I stop transitions from showing media that I've cut from my clips? 27 Nov 2020 23:54 #111089

I have a million clips that I've previously cut unwanted bits out of, and I have a cross dissolve transition set between each one. My problem is that the transitions are showing parts of the media that I previously cut out. I'd like the transitions to only go over the media that I have visible on my timeline. Is there a simple preference I can change to do this so that I don't have to go back and manually cut the beginnings and ends of each clip?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How do I stop transitions from showing media that I've cut from my clips? 28 Nov 2020 04:28 #111090

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 571
Transitions need extra material on each end to be created.  Because it makes the clips overlap.  If you know you’re using cross fades, plan for it when you edit.  You can also trim the edit points to adjust when the transitions start and stop. support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/ad...line-vercf3c662c/mac

How do I stop transitions from showing media that I've cut from my clips? 28 Nov 2020 14:39 #111096

The quickest thing to do is create, say, a one second freeze frame at the point where you want to transition thus giving more handle to use transition wise. I'll typically speed ramp in these cases instead of freeze frame transitions but if you have lots of them then the most expedient way is freeze frame handles. 

How do I stop transitions from showing media that I've cut from my clips? 28 Nov 2020 15:47 #111100

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Or just trim them properly as most folks do.

How do I stop transitions from showing media that I've cut from my clips? 29 Nov 2020 01:11 #111101

That would make sense but I surmised, correctly I must admit, that this wasn't something he shot or was working with individual clips as no one has ever shot something so exact that the heads and tails were spot on accurate when captured in camera. (Though I have come close to that kind of perfection.)

He's evidently working on an already edited piece and has segmented clips from an edit and as such there isn't anything handle wise for him to work with to keep the head of the trimmed piece from appearing ghost like in the tail of the edit that precedes it. Yep, that's what he's got.

How do I stop transitions from showing media that I've cut from my clips? 29 Nov 2020 01:18 #111102

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
I’ve been in this business for over 20 years now, and I never had issues with trimming for a transition.  Never had to use time-consuming retiming or still frames (which really messes with the visuals badly, very amateur technique).  But, if you work with really bad footage all the time, have a serious talk with your camera crew and director.  But, you’re fairly entitled to your opinion.  

Last edit: by Ben Balser.
  • Page: