• Page:

TOPIC: Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 17 Sep 2020 18:17 #110102

• oldsoul
  • oldsoul's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have to deliver all my final outputs to various outlets who'll use PP. The output types are usually HD XDCAM 422.mov and ProRes422 After upgrading to FCP 10.4.9 none of these files can be opened in PP on my machine or various colleagues on Macs and Windows machines running Premiere. Tried making H264 versions and still I get "We were unable to open this file on disk" I can open the same type of files that were made in FCP before the upgrade. I tried making a new Compressor setting and importing I to FCP but still no go. Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 17 Sep 2020 19:00 #110104

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 361
I just exported a 4k ProRes 422 file from FCPX 10.4.9, also exported from Compressor 4.4.7 an HD XDCAM 422.mov and they both imported OK in Premiere Pro 14.3.2 on the same iMac Pro machine. Machine is running Catalina 10.15.6 and has Apple Pro Video Formats 2.1.2 installed.

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 17 Sep 2020 19:57 #110106

• oldsoul
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the info. I'm also Catalina MBP 16inch 2019 PP 13.1.5 although tested with 14.x.x. also Apple Pro Video Formats 2.1.2.

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 17 Sep 2020 20:15 #110107

• oldsoul
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Just tested exporting a ProRes 422 Master File from FCP and that imported fine. But when using the Share export in FCP NO GOOD. I even tried taking the Master File that worked and running that through a ProRes Built-In setting in compressor and that did not work.

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 18 Sep 2020 02:59 #110109

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

oldsoul wrote: Just tested exporting a ProRes 422 Master File from FCP and that imported fine. But when using the Share export in FCP NO GOOD.

Can you give more detail about "Share export in FCP NO GOOD". I did File>Share>Master File>Settings, Format: Video & Audio, Video Codec: Source - Apple ProRes 422, resolution was 3840 x 2160.

For HD XDCAM 422.mov I did File>Send to Compressor>New Batch, and in Compressor under MXF I added the default XDCAM HD 422 preset, then clicked "Start Batch". Both imported to Premiere Pro 14.3.2 just fine.

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 18 Sep 2020 11:41 #110115

• oldsoul
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Sorry bad communication on my part. Well just tested exactly what you detailed and when I try and import into PP I get an error saying We were unable to open the file on disk.
When I said Share before I meant I had a compressor setting(XDCAM422 & ProRes 422) setup in my FCP Share menu.

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 18 Sep 2020 12:15 #110116

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
On my machine Premiere Pro 14.3.2 opens the UHD ProRes 422 file from FCPX 10.4.9. If the destination machine is on Windows or an older version of Premiere there might be differences.

FIrst I suggest simplifying the scenario. Just take one short test clip, export that to ProRes 422 and see if will import to Premiere. If not take that same test clip and import it to the free version of Resolve, then export it to ProRes 422 and see if Premiere will accept that.

Try putting the file in a different location to make sure it's not a permissions problem. In Finder do CMD+I on the file, scroll down to the bottom, unlock "sharing and permissions" and grant group "everyone" read/write permissions on the file and folder it's in. Make sure it is a local, directly-attached hard drive not a NAS drive, cloud drive, etc. Try the import to Premiere on the same physical machine, not a different machine.

It is likely a config or permissions issue, nothing related to ProRes or the FCPX encoder. You get the same error on H264 exports. If Premiere could not import any ProRes or H264 file from FCPX 10.4.9, we'd have known that long ago.

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 18 Sep 2020 13:24 #110117

• oldsoul
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks,
OK Took a clip exported to ProRess 422.mov and XDCAM422.mxf. Both would not import into PP. I changed the permissions of both so "Everyone" had Read & Write. The .mxf imported into PP. The ProRes did not.
I then took the ProRes and opened in Resolve. Exported out as a ProRes and that imported into PP.

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 18 Sep 2020 14:01 #110118

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
What is the exact error that Premiere gives?

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 18 Sep 2020 14:27 #110119

• oldsoul
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
We were unable to open the file on disk. The file is on my desktop and I tried it from a dire t attached drive as well.
Attachments:

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 18 Sep 2020 16:34 #110120

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I tried the latest version of Premiere 14.4.0 on another machine, and it loaded a 4k ProRes 422 file from FCPX 10.4.9 just fine.

Many Premiere users have reported that error "we were unable to open the file on disk" with various file types, not just ProRes. If that same exported ProRes file will play in Finder and import to Resolve, that might imply it's a Premiere problem or a system problem such as missing Adobe support files.

However it's also possible Apple made some permissible change to their ProRes encoder and Premiere isn't handling it properly. It can't be a widespread problem because ProRes is a common post-production infrastructure. Worldwide probably hundreds or thousands of files per hour are being sent between Premiere and FCPX.

To rule out the possibility of a specific source clip triggering this, if you could reproduce it using a very small source clip then upload it to DropBox, etc, I could test that on several machines.

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 18 Sep 2020 16:45 #110121

• oldsoul
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I exported the same piece as ProRes and XDCAM.
www.dropbox.com/sh/scolr07wbskvy5p/AADFu...BXMlmSJysvLvUPa?dl=0

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 18 Sep 2020 19:04 #110124

• Andreas Kiel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 178
While my machine here is still on Mojave FCP and PPro are the most actual ones.
The files you uploaded won't import here into PPro as well, displaying the same error code.
When I export from FCP using ProRes though it works fine here. Haven't tried XDCAM.

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 18 Sep 2020 19:38 #110125

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

oldsoul wrote: I exported the same piece as ProRes and XDCAM...

Using your 1080p/29.97 test clip "Export Test - ProRes422.mov" I can reproduce the problem on Premiere 14.3.2 and 14.4.0 on two different machines. Examination of the video header with Invisor doesn't show anything obviously wrong: apps.apple.com/us/app/invisor-media-file...or/id442947586?mt=12

Your test clip imports OK to FCPX 10.4.9 and Resolve 16.2.6. In FCPX if I re-export that same clip to ProRes 422, then Premiere will take it. IOW if I process the clip in any way using any software, it doesn't happen.

Can you take your exported test clip, import it, then re-export it as ProRes 422 and check that with Premiere? That may help determine if it's related to your original source clip. If creation of the problem clip only happens on your machine with your timeline, then it might be a plugin, 3rd-party effect, etc. But normally that would not create an apparent encoding issue in a ProRes output file.

I also tried simply re-wrapping your test file with EditReady2, and that also avoids the problem. That might be a temporary workaround. Since no re-encoding happens, it is super fast: www.divergentmedia.com/editready

Since the error happens on the Premiere side, IMO Adobe needs to take the lead initially. They have the source code and can run their product under a debugger and determine why it's throwing that error when importing that file, when other NLEs don't do that. We see the simplified error "unable to open the file on disk", but at the source code level it is failing a specific check or series of checks. It might be getting an error return from a call to a decoding framework. Without source code (which only they have) it's impossible to tell if it's an issue with encoding, decoding, ProRes specs, software framework, etc.

If Adobe's examination shows it's an issue on their side they can fix it. If it shows it's an FCPX encoding problem, their developers need to talk to FCPX developers. They have each other's contact info for cases like this.

You can initiate this process by starting a support case with Adobe, and sending them the test file. It would help if you could make the creation of the problem clip happen on another machine. Given your output clip we can see Premiere raise the error on other machines, but we cannot recreate that bad clip.

Without getting any deeper you could also try some basic troubleshooting steps -- not because they are likely to fix the problem but because they are easy to take and have fixed other problems previously.. Examples:

- Reset FCPX preferences (item 11): support.apple.com/en-us/HT203477

- Disable background rendering in FCPX preferences, delete all render files in the library via Files>Delete Generated Library Files>Delete Render Files>All, then select all timeline clips with CMD+A, and render them to cache with CTRL+R. After that export your test clip, and try the Premiere import test.

- If it still happens, right-click the project and select "Snapshot Project". Open that snapshot, select all clips with CMD+A, then remove all effects with Edit>Remove Effects. Export that and try to import to Premiere. If it works it could be some interaction of effects and the source media.

Last edit: by joema.

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 24 Sep 2020 12:37 #110205

• oldsoul
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for ll the suggestions everyone. Right now its in Adobe land. They had a temp workaround. I can export XDCAM.mov clips generated from FCP and change the file extension to .mpg causing Adobe PP to reinterprut the import. Right now ProRes .mov only import the audio.

Last edit: by oldsoul.

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 24 Sep 2020 18:55 #110209

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
There is a 10.4.10 FCPX bug fix update out today. You could try that and see if it makes any difference.

Exported files won't open in Premiere Pro 11 Oct 2020 20:11 #110436

• alangreene
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I had an issue with ProRes files exporting with Compressor not opening in Premiere, getting the same "We were unable to open the file on disk" error. No flavor of ProRes would work. I finally tried running the original ProRes files (exported from REDCINE-X) through Media Encoder, and it worked. Those files imported into Premiere without any errors.

• Page: