fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Playhead cursor has a ghostly trail, won't cut precisely

Playhead cursor has a ghostly trail, won't cut precisely 16 Sep 2020 12:49 #110061

• WGallagher
  • WGallagher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Forgive me if this has come up before, I'm struggling to describe it so I'm not having any luck with searching previous questions. Recently on 10.4.9, when I move my cursor over the timeline, the red straight line gets a shadow. Then when I click to make a cut, the cut can appear where the line is, but more often at the edge of this shadow. Is this a setting that I've accidentally triggered? It's bewildering me and I'd be so grateful for any advice on how to switch it off. Here's a screengrab which might be easier to understand than my ropey description.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Playhead cursor has a ghostly trail, won't cut precisely 17 Sep 2020 08:52 #110089

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 517
You are zoomed in too close. That light area is the actual frame. Your playhead is in scrub mode. Zoomed in that close, you can scrub at a sub-frame level for audio editing.

Video is frames per second.
Audio is samples per second, normally 48,000 samples per second.

You can only make video cuts on a frame, not on an audio sample level.

The Command key with the plus and minus keys zoom you in and out of your timeline.
Shift-Z will do a fit-to-window for your timeline.

Zoom out a bit.

Playhead cursor has a ghostly trail, won't cut precisely 17 Sep 2020 11:52 #110091

• WGallagher
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Superb, thank you very much. I know I zoomed in for that shot, but I hadn't realised that I'd zoomed in at all on my actual work and yet clearly I have. Thanks, hugely appreciated.

Playhead cursor has a ghostly trail, won't cut precisely 19 Sep 2020 01:15 #110130

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 517
Remember that a frame does take up some duration of time. 24fps a frame is 1/24 of a second, 60fps is 1/60 of a second. Zooming in that close, you can see that duration of time for the frame.

Playhead cursor has a ghostly trail, won't cut precisely 21 Sep 2020 17:15 #110155

• WGallagher
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks,

• Page: