fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Howdy! I'm new and looking for advice, please. (Tracking, Mapping)

Howdy! I'm new and looking for advice, please. (Tracking, Mapping) 28 Jul 2020 15:25 #108990

• Blur
  • Blur's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello and thank you for reading this. I'll try to keep it short.

I'm a recent convert from the Adobe ecosystem where I used Premiere, AE, etc... I'm not a ninja at these programs, but consider myself well-versed. I recently picked up FCP, Motion, and Compressor.

I have a question about what the best way to go in a couple of areas.

In AE, I used Mocha Pro for tracking, replacements, correcting, etc... I know that Track X is 'Powered by Mocha' and was wondering if anyone has brief opinions on this (along with Drive X and Slice X). I mainly track people walking and speaking. Exciting, I know. There are free trials of all three I do realize that there are trials of all three of the software packages, but I would like to hear people who have longer-term experience than 14 days.

I am also interested in mapping packages for FCP/Motion. I work for the US House of Reps and would love to be able to outline congressional districts and call out stats like population, coronavirus cases, and also location of district offices. I see that Pixel Film Studios has ProMap and there is also mTravel by Motion VFX. Am I missing another package? Is there another option out there? It would be killer if I could load KML type files for district outlines.

Thank you for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Howdy! I'm new and looking for advice, please. (Tracking, Mapping) 29 Jul 2020 06:41 #109004

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 497
I use Coremelt products and love them.

I don't do much with maps, but I'd warn against PixelStudios, bad support, very buggy products. MotionVFX is pricey but worth the money, their top quality stuff.

FCPX doesn't natively support KML files, and if there's a plugin that handles it, I'm not aware of it.

Howdy! I'm new and looking for advice, please. (Tracking, Mapping) 29 Jul 2020 09:20 #109009

• cofe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
I have plugins for simple tracking from Pixel Studio and it works fine.
But yes better are the Coremelt TrackX. DriveX, SliceX. Not the fastest plugins but they work well.

For mapping have you had a look at Google Earth Studio. You need to display their copyright logo, but apart from that you have a full 3D map animation software with all the highres maps build in. Very simple to use too. And you can import KLM data from Google Earth. Really neat system if you don't mind their Google Earth bug :-).

Howdy! I'm new and looking for advice, please. (Tracking, Mapping) 29 Jul 2020 12:39 #109014

• Blur
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

Thank you for the replies. I went ahead and picked up Track/Slice/Drive from Coremelt.

I'm looking into options outside of FCP/Motion for mapping including Blender and C4D. I signed up for an invitation to Google studio, as well. I wish there was a GeoLayers 3 equivalent.

Since I'm thinking of going the 3D route, I"m now looking at the MO2 plugin at MotionVFX. It seems that this is a must-have anyway so I'll probably grab it today.

Howdy! I'm new and looking for advice, please. (Tracking, Mapping) 29 Jul 2020 16:06 #109019

• Blur
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I hate to double post, but my previous comment is still in moderation.

I woke up this morning to an email stating that I have been accepted to the Google Earth Studio. This is surprising because I just applied last night :woohoo:

Anyhoo - I purchased the MO2 plugin and am now going to try and figure out a workflow from Google Earth Studio to Motion. I'm sure I'll have to leverage Blender or C4D. Right now I'm editing down the Congressional bounds KML file to only show individual districts. Fun.

Howdy! I'm new and looking for advice, please. (Tracking, Mapping) 31 Jul 2020 11:46 #109049

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 497
Welcome to the world of mO2! I'd like to point out two vital resources for using it. These can be the quickest way to learn the "app within an app" and get questions answered.

mO2 Users Group
www.facebook.com/groups/473820736437358

Unofficial mO2 Resources Page
finalcutprox.guru/tutorials/tutorials/mO2resources.html

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

Howdy! I'm new and looking for advice, please. (Tracking, Mapping) 02 Aug 2020 12:59 #109081

• Blur
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

Thank you, Guru! I'm not on Facebook but I'll definitely check out the resources page.

So, I decided to go all the way with the maps. I went over to ESRI and got a personal account. I can now run ARCGis Pro for mapping. I'll still use Google Studio until I get refreshed on GIS (was certified years ago).

Again, thank you!

• Page: