fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Audio Pan - Basic Surround Fix - Doesn't Save on Export :-(

Audio Pan - Basic Surround Fix - Doesn't Save on Export :-( 16 Jul 2020 17:34 #108737

• Goodwin
  • Goodwin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, as a part of my job, I'm working on an interview (- not a full time editor or sound expert.)
Using FCPx to edit a MCC, one of the camera angles seems to have only left-side audio, not in stereo. After much fiddling, I found that the Audio Pan - Basic Surround fixes the balance. However, it will not save upon export - the pan resets to center :angry:

I made a screen recording to help explain but I doubt you'll hear the issue without listening to it directly with headphones. counterstrainacademy.wistia.com/medias/xywdddhq6h

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Audio Pan - Basic Surround Fix - Doesn't Save on Export :-( 17 Jul 2020 10:38 #108749

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 534
The first problem is you are using surround sound panner in a stereo project, and that won't really help you out, you have to stick with two-channel mixing.
Second, I'm watching the audio meters, and not seeing a major change in anything.

Is the recording done in stereo or mono? I'd go back to the Angle Editor, take that audio channel, change it form Stereo to Dual Mono. Kill off the channel you don't need, pan the one you do. Simple.

Last edit: by Ben Balser.

Audio Pan - Basic Surround Fix - Doesn't Save on Export :-( 17 Jul 2020 23:54 #108774

• Goodwin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your reply, it's a bit over my head but trying to puzzle it out. I believe it is a stereo project, that's what the settings indicate and it was shot in a fairly basic manner with three cameras:
1) Person 1 with lav mic tied to Camera 2
2) Person 2 with lav mic tied to Camera 1
3) Group View with camera mic

Note that Person 1's mic was mixed up and it was tied to Camera 2 - adds to my confusion :S

So I'm in the angle editor, the issue is with Angle 3's audio, I detached it to see if I can work with it but do not see a place to change it to Dual Mono - can you help?

Thanks again! :)
Attachments:

Audio Pan - Basic Surround Fix - Doesn't Save on Export :-( 18 Jul 2020 01:33 #108777

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 534
Detaching is very unnecessary. In your screenshot, look at the very lower right. Do you see where it is labeled "Stereo" with a downward arrowhead next to the word? That's the menu you want.
support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/co...nels-verc1fab5f6/mac

Audio Pan - Basic Surround Fix - Doesn't Save on Export :-( 18 Jul 2020 02:03 #108779

• Goodwin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
THANK YOU!!! It worked!

• Page: