TOPIC: Is this problem solvable?

Is this problem solvable 05 Jun 2020 09:26 #107677

• phil@circuitfactory.ae
  • phil@circuitfactory.ae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Guys,

I've been using FCPX for 5 years and never come across an issue that i cannot solve - this simple issue is killing me.

I am trying to import some video files from my SD Card onto Final Cut on my 2017 iMac, running Mojave 10.14.6. I am using identical SD cards. The iMac recognises the videos on one card and cannot pick them up on the other.

My and a friend's Macbook Pros read both SD cards. No problem. But the iMac only reads one. I have tried replacing the SD card, formatting the card. Changing the video from NTCS to PAL, deleting preferences. Uninstalling and reinstalling FCPX.

Nothing has solved it. The iMac likes one card and doesn't recognise another.

Are there any geniuses on here that can resolve this issue?

Thank you in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is this problem solvable 05 Jun 2020 11:59 #107682

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 509
If it is consistently the same SD card that is problematic, it's the card, not the Mac. There's something about that card that specific Mac can't error correct for. Replace the card, I'd consider it unreliable. Even if another Mac can read it.

What's different about the two Macs? OS version? FCPX version? Are you using internal card slots or external, third party readers? Same readers on both? And what do you mean "cannot pick them up" exactly? Doesn't see them, can't copy them?

Is this problem solvable 05 Jun 2020 12:41 #107685

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 352

phil@circuitfactory.ae wrote: ...I am trying to import some video files from my SD Card onto Final Cut on my 2017 iMac, running Mojave 10.14.6. I am using identical SD cards. The iMac recognises the videos on one card and cannot pick them up on the other...

Does this only happen when importing from the SD card to FCPX? Can you copy the SD card contents to a local hard drive and import from there? If you cannot even copy using Finder, that's less likely an FCPX issue.

Is this problem solvable 06 Jun 2020 04:25 #107709

• Larrie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I have seen a problem caused by SD card naming conventions. When one SD card, named Untitled, is inserted into a Mac and another card named Untitled is into a card reader connected to the same Mac only one SD card is recognized.

Is this problem solvable 06 Jun 2020 07:09 #107712

• phil@circuitfactory.ae
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi there, I replaced the card. I also checked both cards on a Macbook Pro and both are working fine.

FCPX on my MacPro 2017 isn't reading certain cards. Both Macs are running latest FCPX and Catalina OS update.

It's so weird!

Is this problem solvable 06 Jun 2020 07:10 #107713

• phil@circuitfactory.ae
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I will try to rename. Thank you !

Is this problem solvable? 07 Jun 2020 05:42 #107725

• phil@circuitfactory.ae
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I have just done some more tests and I realise that it's the iMac that isn't reading certain cards. I know this is not an FCPX issue, so I will search for the solution elsewhere.

In the meantime, if anyone knows a way to fix iMacs not reading video files within cards, please let me know. The SD Cards are fine and working.

Is this problem solvable? 07 Jun 2020 11:02 #107728

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 352
All SD cards don't work the same, and they don't last forever. Higher-end brand-name cards like SanDisk or Lexar typically have a 10-year or lifetime guarantee. If it's one of those you can probably get it replaced for free.

If it's an off-brand card you never know what the behavior or durability will be. It might work OK for a while then exhibit odd behavior like this.

If the card has electrical or timing characteristics which drifted out of spec over time, it's possible one reader in one computer might work and another might not work.

Anytime I see a card which has the slightest quirk I replace it. I don't want to trust vital data to that.

• Page: