TOPIC: Can't find media

Can't find media 18 May 2020 20:29 #107295

• Schwalbach
  • Schwalbach's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I have got this library that has. project I need to re-edit.
The clips point to a folder where only alias for the media files reside. FCPX can't find the actual media files.
But, the library is 280GB. It's much more than the media size,
What makes it so big? Are copies of the media files here somewhere?
please advise
thanks
joni

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can't find media 19 May 2020 01:17 #107303

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
The alias files would indicate that when you originally imported media into your library, you chose to "leave files in place" instead of "copy to library". That selection appears in the import window of FCPX. So likely your original files are on an external drive, in some folder perhaps on your system (maybe you moved to a new location), or even off a camera card that is no longer in your card reader. The large library size could be due to a number of reasons - generally optimized media, but also a combination of render files (particularly if you have FCPX set to do background rendering), and/or analysis files that are created with the use of optical flow and stabilization. If your original media is missing your timeline and browser would show the red "missing media" icons for those clips, and by selecting them and choosing to relink files, it will indicate the location they were previously imported from. Hope this helps.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Can't find media 19 May 2020 05:07 #107310

• Schwalbach
  • Schwalbach's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
thank you dgwvideo.
Yes you right. I know the alias points to another folder which was probably on other folder on the original HD.
I just wondered Thea in such a small project, if the library was so huge maybe there was a way to find some media inside it. I would not have the original media as I never choose the "move to library" option.
I will have to locate this folder...
thanks again

Can't find media 19 May 2020 12:43 #107321

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 324

Schwalbach wrote: ... I know the alias points to another folder which was probably on other folder on the original HD....I will have to locate this folder...

The pointers are symlinks but they show in Finder as "aliases", but they are not true Finder aliases. If the original files have been moved, you obviously want to see where that symlink is pointing. That can help you find the media since it contains the pathname and filename of the linked file.

Unfortunately Finder only shows the location of the symlink pointer itself, not where it is pointing. There is no GUI tool which will show this, however it is easy to obtain in terminal if you have even slight familiarity with it. This is safe and not difficult, if you are careful:

You just list the full path to the symlink inside the library using "ls -l" and it will show you where it expects the file to be. E.g for a red missing clip for file AdrianaTestEdit3.mp4, given the FCPX library is named TestLib1, located in /Movies, and the event name is 5-9-20. You type this in terminal. Note for file/folder names containing space you must put that in double quotes:

ls -l /Users/josephmarler/Movies/TestLib1.fcpbundle/5-9-20/"Original Media"/AdrianaTestEdit3.mp4

Returns: -> /Volumes/SamsungT5_8/AdrianaTestEdit3.mp4

That by itself will not fix anything but it indicates where FCPX expects the file to be. This verifies what filename it's looking for and on what drive. This may allow searching for the current file and verifying the location and file extension.

Last edit: by joema.
  • Page: