• Page:

TOPIC: Need computer advise

Need computer advise 21 Apr 2020 01:46 #106381

• Dot Prod
  • Dot Prod's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
so I'm VERY new to editing footage from my GoPro (4k 60fps), so I'm looking for a bit of advice here. I'm looking at an older used 2012 iMac
Intel Core i5 Processor 2.7GHz
4GB SDRAM RAM
1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
27-Inch Screen, AMD Radeon HD 6770M

I know I can upgrade the ram and likely will to atleast 16gb.

Otherwise, as far as ease of workflow and being fairly issue free while working am I likely to be with this iMac working with my goPro Footage on FPC?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need computer advise 21 Apr 2020 09:46 #106386

• Buhardilla
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
IMO I think that with this computer setup you may have difficulty to handle 4K video files. Perhaps with proxies, low resolution, little effects, no composing , etc... you "could use it" . But if you want the superb Metal2 fcpx power you'll need a Mac with both better graphic card and processor.
I'd recommend you have a look to old Mac Pro 5.1 revamped with RX580 and xeon processors. OWC have a lot of them a very nice prices
Jose

Need computer advise 21 Apr 2020 14:00 #106393

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 486
I have a 2015 rMBP and can edit 4K, but not multicam, and it starts to bog down if I start adding too many effects and MotionVFX templates. For simple edits, it works OK, but great, but works with 4K from a GH4, Osmo, Phantom 4, iPhone XS. If you're serious about editing, you'll want something newer and more powerful. I'm looking to upgrade mine this summer sometime, maybe the fall.

Need computer advise 22 Apr 2020 12:49 #106419

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 322

Dot Prod wrote: so I'm VERY new to editing footage from my GoPro (4k 60fps), so I'm looking for a bit of advice here. I'm looking at an older used 2012 iMac
Intel Core i5 Processor 2.7GHz
4GB SDRAM RAM
1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
27-Inch Screen, AMD Radeon HD 6770M...

4k H264 from a GoPro is highly compressed and difficult to edit smoothly. IMO a 2012 iMac is just too old and slow for that, unless you transcode everything to proxies. That itself will take a lot of time and space.

IMO the best used machine for that is a 2017 iMac 27. It has a Kaby Lake CPU and the decode/encode performance was improved by about 2x from the 2015 model. You can possibly get one for about $800 on eBay. Even if you got one with a rotating hard drive or Fusion Drive, it would still be vastly better than a 2012 model.

• Page: