fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Plugins and Templates - What's the Difference?

Plugins and Templates - What's the Difference? 21 Mar 2020 00:18 #105450

• jane.mbeth
  • jane.mbeth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys,

I'm new to Final Cut Pro. I've seen people selling templates and plugins for Final Cut Pro, and am planning to buy some but quite confused. Are they the same or different? If different, do you recommend templates or plugins?

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Plugins and Templates - What's the Difference? 21 Mar 2020 13:13 #105464

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 474
First up, look at the free template section of this forum. Lots of really good stuff there.
Second, I don't believe in recommending a set of templates/plugins to recommend right off the bat. Everyone's needs and editing style are different. My personal rule is, only purchase what I need for the job at hand, make sure I charge enough that my fee covers it.
Third, yeah, get only what you need for the job at hand, specifically, not stuff that looks cool. If you just get what is recommended and what seems cool, you end up with two dozen templates/plugins that you'll never use in years.j

So my question is, what additional needs do you have? Be sure you've learned FCPX well before purchasing third party stuff. There are capabilities in FCPX that mean a lot of templates/plugins you probably don't really need, they're easy enough to do yourself on the fly.

But if you are shopping, Here's where I'd recommend, as I have dealt with and trust each and every one of these vendors totally. The first two are great places for inexpensive templates that are really nice.

Plugins and Templates - What's the Difference? 21 Mar 2020 13:13 #105465

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com

Plugins and Templates - What's the Difference? 21 Mar 2020 13:14 #105466

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com

Plugins and Templates - What's the Difference? 21 Mar 2020 14:10 #105467

• deweyt44
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Here are some of the plugin examples from two of the sites GURU has already mentioned. As he already stated, look them over and see if they would serve you or not.

CoreMelt plugins are fantastic, because the plugins mostly focus on providing Planar tracking within Final Cut Pro X (which by the way is powered by Moccha.). For example, one of the top features requested in Final Cut Pro X is the ability to use a color correction shapes to track moving subject, and that’s what CoreMelt’s Chromatic does. They also have other variations such as TrackX, DriveX, and PaintX, each with their own abilities.

Motionvfx arguably has the best plugins for both Final Cut Pro X and and Motion. They often focus on visual effects and compositing. For example mFlare 2 creates really compelling lens flare (which also tracks with movement and the scene.) Mo2 allows you to create a 3D scene within Final Cut Pro X or Motion, even to the point where you can import a multitude of 3D objects for your work. mVolumetric adds volumetric light effects to your scene.

Plugins and Templates - What's the Difference? 21 Mar 2020 16:43 #105471

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
"...do you recommend templates or plugins?" Or an Effect, or a Generator...

A template is just that, a pre-defined layout that you often are allowed to customize. You can make your own with Motion 5. Well designed lower thrids, animated titles, those would be templates.

A plugin, I would think most of us consider that to be something that adds functionality, it's taken some coding to make. mO2 is a plugin, PaintX is a plugin, Crumplpop's echo remover is a plugin, I'd say.

Semantics...

• Page: