• Page:

TOPIC: Multicam and Stabilisation

Multicam and Stabilisation 19 Feb 2020 15:26 #104754

• DmitriZigany
  • DmitriZigany's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I can't find stabilisation available when I select an edit in a Multicam Clip on the timeline... It used to be there with the huge flaw of not only analysing and stabilising the part in the selected edit bu the entire file in that angle...
Have they removed the posibility to use stabilisation on multicam on timeline now?

And I guess the only option now is to go into multicam find the angle, find the part of the edit, blade around it and stabilise that part... very convoluted and unelegant solution.

Am I missing something here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Multicam and Stabilisation 19 Feb 2020 15:29 #104756

• scotyount
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Unfortunately that is apparently the way it works. I have never found any other solution.

Multicam and Stabilisation 19 Feb 2020 17:18 #104762

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 499
Yes, that is a function that only works on the clip itself, not a container that holds a clip. Not difficult to add it inside the Multi-Cam Angle Editor, though.

Multicam and Stabilisation 19 Feb 2020 19:27 #104766

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 334

DmitriZigany wrote: I can't find stabilisation available when I select an edit in a Multicam Clip on the timeline...I guess the only option now is to go into multicam find the angle, find the part of the edit, blade around it and stabilise that part... very convoluted and unelegant solution...

Correct. Unfortunately there are several limitations of multicam clips:

Auditions don't work, stabilization doesn't work, Mocha tracking plugins don't work, and you can't export a MC clip or range from the Event Browser, only the timeline.

However it's easier now to open and blade the constituent clip inside the multicam than formerly. When you open the MC clip it will place the playhead on the corresponding location. You then can easily blade it. Older versions of FCPX did not do that location tracking and you had to do timecode math.

Unfortunately even on the improved FCPX it only tracks location going into the MC. If you reposition the playhead inside then back out it doesn't place it in the corresponding location outside.

To blade the end point of the camera angle corresponding to the MC end point you must reposition the playhead to the tail of the MC clip in the timeline, then open it again, then blade the end point of the constituent clip inside. Then you apply stabilization inside, back out, render it and observe the behavior. If adjustment to sliders is needed you must then open the MC clip again, etc. etc.

It seems unlikely this procedure was designed based on UI simplicity. It is more likely some side effect of the underlying programmatic implementation.

Last edit: by joema.

Multicam and Stabilisation 20 Feb 2020 17:51 #104784

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

joema wrote: However it's easier now to open and blade the constituent clip inside the multicam than formerly. When you open the MC clip it will place the playhead on the corresponding location.

But it doesn't select the angle it seems? So you have to fiddle around to find the correct angle which is annoying. Current project has 22 angles (including audio), so manually having to find the angle as well each time becomes a drag... Playhead in the correct position is an improvement though!
Which that the part of the angle that's in the edit was selected when coming into the angle viewer!

Multicam and Stabilisation 21 Feb 2020 20:29 #104803

• degeneric
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Lock and Load X natively supports Multi-cam clips and has a batch processing option to stabilize many clips at once

Multicam and Stabilisation 22 Feb 2020 14:49 #104823

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

degeneric wrote: Lock and Load X natively supports Multi-cam clips and has a batch processing option to stabilize many clips at once

Yeah, but it costs money and I feel it really should be in the main feature set.
Also their plug-ins (and their icons) are so damn ugly so would prefer not to have them ;)

Multicam and Stabilisation 22 Feb 2020 15:51 #104828

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
I use them daily and love them.

Multicam and Stabilisation 22 Feb 2020 15:54 #104829

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Nothing wrong with how they work... just the way they look ;) (UI, Icons etc)

Multicam and Stabilisation 22 Feb 2020 23:00 #104838

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Yes, that determines quality.

• Page: