fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Project/Library strange problem that’s brought me to a standstill.

Project/Library strange problem that’s brought me to a standstill. 25 Mar 2018 00:51 #94792

• Squamish ed
  • Squamish ed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
I opened a project and it showed the missing link (red) screen. All clips show up fine in the timeline and individual clips play fine in the browser. But when I try to play back in the timeline nearly all the clips showed the red missing link screen. Selected one and followed the relink steps but the computer couldn’t find it so relink didn’t work.

Tried to open another library and the same thing happened regardless of which library.

Uninstalled FCPX and reinstalled from app store. Same issue. Also did the usual delete preferences step.

Tried to open a backup and got the message no backups available.

Tried to open a different library. Exactly the same problems occurred. I then found my various libraries were no longer available.

Checked permissions and found no issues. I also tried various other apps and everything worked normally with data from the same HD.

This was all on a late 2012 iMac on Sierra.

Having tried all these steps I then went through a new install of FCPX on a new iMac on High Sierra (2018 - just delivered) and found exactly the same issues.

Having tried everything possible I went through and checked my effects. A USM plugin from Alex4D seemed to be behind some of the issues. When I turned that off the clip appeared and played as it should have. This is odd as I’ve used that plugin for several years and it has always been reliable.

To clean up a whole project more quickly I selected a few clips and removed effects. That was a mistake too. It didn’t remove the USM (checked in Inspector) but it did remove the clip images from the timeline and caused those clips to play back as blank.

The impression I have is that possibly something to do with my libraries or a related directory is involved but I’m out of my depth here. Tried to look for my FCPX backups but didn’t find them.

Questions: has anyone out there run into this and resolved it? Where are the FCPX automatic backups stored? Are there cache files or some others that need to be cleaned out and if so where are they and what are they called?

Oh yeah, I opened a library that I hadn’t opened in over a year and found the same problems. Tried creating a new Event and Project and everything worked fine. I really don’t understand what’s happened or where to go from here. Looks like I need some help.

Thanks

Ed
Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Project/Library strange problem that’s brought me to a standstill. 25 Mar 2018 17:08 #94802

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
I can answer some of your questions. Backups are stored by default in the users/Movies folder in a subfolder called "Final Cut Backups" - UNLESS you chose to store them somewhere else which is an option in FCPX. By clicking the library and looking in the inspector you can modify locations where media, motion content, caches and backups are stored.

Secondly, older projects would have had to be updated in order to work with the latest version of FCPX. Do you recall having the option to update the libraries when you opened them, or have you already done this?

Thirdly, the relink function can assist you by informing you of which effect(s) may be causing the files to be unlinked. This may give you some indication of a common cause.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Project/Library strange problem that’s brought me to a standstill. 26 Mar 2018 08:52 #94808

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661

… All clips show up fine in the timeline and individual clips play fine in the browser. But when I try to play back in the timeline nearly all the clips showed the red missing link screen. Selected one and followed the relink steps but the computer couldn’t find it so relink didn’t work. …

… my first idea was, in case, you're using 'managed media', that your 'mass storage' has a permission problem… so, the tiny preview clips are available but not its original - due to diff. storage locations with diff. permissions…

But you told us, you have checked that…

Some silly idea: a proxy/optimized problem? What happens, when you switch the Viewer?

have you tried to create a from the ground new Lib? For a start, create it on your int drive, import a minute into a new event, edit a 30sec project - does this work?
next: locate Event on one of your ext. drives - how does this behave?
next: use material from an old Event…

=> idea is, to start from zero and local HDD, and then depart more and more, in tiny steps … to localize the wrong behaving item…

Project/Library strange problem that’s brought me to a standstill. 29 Mar 2018 21:41 #94899

• Squamish ed
  • Squamish ed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Thanks for the help - it's appreciated. Through a long convoluted process I've managed to recover the project I was working on so am calling it a day. After all my fussing I still don't have a clue what caused this so I'm adding it to my list of life's unsolved mysteries. :)
Ed

• Page: