fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: ken burns? preview window goes black everytime I select a "start" corner to adjust,

ken burns? preview window goes black everytime I select a "start" corner to adjust, 21 Dec 2017 06:38 #92628

• jitterbug
  • jitterbug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
doing a whole bunch of ken burns to photos,
many times when I click a corner of the "start" frame in the kenburns, the playhead in the timeline shoots to the start of the photo in the time line, even though I initially place it in the middle of the photo in the time line.
And the preview window goes black as a result of that. very unstable performance with that.

really annoying as I cannot see the preview (when it goes black) while adjusting the ken burns start frame..
just having a grouch.

some suggestions: (where can I post suggestions so an FCPX dev can view them?)
1. while adjusting the KB would be nice to be able to use the space bar as a "hand tool" to move the main preview window around if the corners of the KB have been shifted off the screen.
2. move the "swap start/end frame positions" button in the KB and the "done" button to just below the preview window, when working even on my maclaptop I find moving from top left to top right then back down to the time line to select the next clip is a triangle journey in itself. Time waster over many clips...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ken burns? preview window goes black everytime I select a "start" corner to adjust, 21 Dec 2017 06:41 #92629

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 733
Do you have transitions applied? Remove them.

Feedback in the FCP menu.

ken burns? preview window goes black everytime I select a "start" corner to adjust, 21 Dec 2017 06:54 #92632

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661
I'd say, that's normal behavior, because KB is always applied to the whole clip, no range or custom starting point 'anywhere'.
showing black means, you applied some transition and compounded the involved elements?

btw: instead of canned effect, use the Inspector settings to scale, position, keyframe your clip. Allows to move out of frame, rotation, cropping too = less convenient but more powerful than KB....

jitterbug wrote: …where can I post suggestions so an FCPX dev can view them?...

www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

ken burns? preview window goes black everytime I select a "start" corner to adjust, 21 Dec 2017 07:14 #92633

• jitterbug
  • jitterbug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Tom i`ll try that,
Thanks Karsten for the feedback link.
someone told me the KB is a smoother outcome after rendering thats why im doing it, but also its a bit quicker for what I want to do I think over a few hundred photos. im going to run a test on vimeo to see the results of both.
i`ll remove transitions as well for now and see how it goes

ken burns? preview window goes black everytime I select a "start" corner to adjust, 21 Dec 2017 10:23 #92636

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661

jitterbug wrote: … think over a few hundred photos.…

KB 'looks' smoother, due to a (fix) Ease-in and Ease-out behavior.

Thinking of hundreds of photos with zoooom and swoooosh and paaaaan and… makes me sea-sick :silly:
Seriously: consider less photos ("editing=kill your darlings"), simple dissolves if any, sometimes a content driven fade2black ("…Day2…")… and less artificial action - it's called for a reason 'still'. Give your audience a chance to 'discover' each pic.

… generally spoken.

I'm aware of the existence of unedited, all hand held , you-don't -miss-anything-9.5hours wedding 'videos' and sat thru painfully +1000 vacation-of-our-lifetime shots :evil: SCNR!!!!! <evil German laughter> …

• Page: