• Page:

TOPIC: High Sierra Security Problem

High Sierra Security Problem 29 Nov 2017 18:06 #91992

• TonyBSyr
  • TonyBSyr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Found story in local paper about security problem with High Sierra. As I finished read, See that the update button is on and Apple has a fix.

Link doesn't work, but problem fixed if you install update.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by TonyBSyr.

High Sierra Security Problem 30 Nov 2017 04:19 #92004

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662

TonyBSyr wrote: … if you install update.

No action by user needed. this update auto-installs, next time a Mac is connected to the internet.

High Sierra Security Problem 30 Nov 2017 07:43 #92010

• TonyBSyr
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I am on a mid 2010 Mac Pro which I leave connected to the internet all the time and the message was labeled "Install as Soon as possible" and it didn't install until I pushed the "install" button. Strange thing is that another message came through and I installed that one too and the log under updates now shows two updates were installed one on the 29th and another one on the 30th. but they are both labeled as the same issue with security. Neither update shows a "version" number. .

High Sierra Security Problem 01 Dec 2017 04:34 #92016

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 246
The update only installs automatically if you have your APP STORE preferences set to automatically install macOS updates, otherwise it presents the option to install.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

High Sierra Security Problem 01 Dec 2017 05:30 #92019

• Karsten Schlüter

dgwvideo wrote: The update only installs automatically if …

sorry for being so stubborn, but a) my appstore is NOT set to autoinstall, and b) Apple IS able to override that setting (this is the 2nd time they do).

read the official statement, e.g.
www.macrumors.com/2017/11/29/apple-fixes...bug-security-update/

… the update is available for download, and starting later today it will be automatically installed on all systems running the latest version (10.13.1) of macOS High Sierra. …

[/i]

… should have made a screen-shot of the system-message … :blink:

High Sierra Security Problem 01 Dec 2017 10:31 #92021

• TonyBSyr
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I think we have a problem of terminology here, but regardless I have all the boxes checked and under preference it says, "Download newly available updates in the background. You will be notified when the updates are ready to be installed. At least on my machine it didn't install them until I gave it an ok which is the way it has always worked and frankly I see no way of telling it to not ask if it is ok to install. Also I wouldn't want it any other way so Apple or anyone could install changes on my machine without my knowledge and approval.

High Sierra Security Problem 01 Dec 2017 10:46 #92022

• Karsten Schlüter

TonyBSyr wrote: …I wouldn't want it any other way so Apple or anyone could install changes on my machine without my knowledge and approval.

Probably.

Cupertino thinks different:
support.apple.com/en-us/HT204536

High Sierra Security Problem 01 Dec 2017 11:04 #92023

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
Hi All...
I am running High Sierra in beta mode, version 5, so far this root log in error was never an issue in the beta updates, so either it will become an issue, not likely, or it was an issue in early beta, before the beta was a public beta and corrected and the public beta patched it, but Apple never made this public, that there was a problem in the beta, as far as I am aware...

What I did notice however, and reported on, is that on HS beta 5, if you try and log in to admin, your password might not work, a reboot and it worked...Confused me for a while...I tried the root blank password, and I could not log in, correct, then I tried my username/password, could not log in..what the grandfathers!!!

Try and try..no dice, locked out... ok... I try keychain..it works...try log in admin, it works, same password...your milage may very...but there is a bug there no question...after a reboot, 1st attempt, it worked..but try the root blank password, and it fails, as it should, username and password..no...reboot=success....strange!!

High Sierra Security Problem 01 Dec 2017 11:10 #92024

• TonyBSyr
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Regardless of how Apple has worded this, it still asked for an OK to install on my machine. for both updates.

High Sierra Security Problem 01 Dec 2017 13:46 #92033

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 246

Karsten Schlüter wrote: sorry for being so stubborn, but a) my appstore is NOT set to autoinstall, and b) Apple IS able to override that setting (this is the 2nd time they do).

Yes, Apple has always indicated that certain critical updates will be installed without user intervention on most all of their operating systems that I remember - I was just indicating that for this particular update discussed in this thread the option to install was presented. Tested this on our MacBook Pro 2013 model. Our Mac Pro is still on Sierra.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

• Page: