• Page:

TOPIC: Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 18 Dec 2017 19:55 #92457

• mikkopalo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Is that problem fixed in FCPX 10.4?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 19 Dec 2017 11:24 #92489

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 733
What problem are you talking about?

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 19 Dec 2017 12:14 #92491

• mikkopalo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
If I press spacebar in browser window, it doesn't playback the video. Instead it brings "Video Roles/Audio Roles" checkboxes up.

This problem occurs if I've set keyboard access in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts, set Full Keyboard Access to “All Controls", which I prefs as in this way I can accept/reject different popup windows (which has Cancel/OK/etc. buttons) by using only keyboard.

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 19 Dec 2017 12:25 #92493

• lichinho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62
I am afraid that is not a bug. It seems to be working as designed, even if that is not how you would expect.
When you set "All Controls" this alters how applications behave when you have this kind of views. All Cocoa applications behave this way. When your selection has a popup menu, space opens/closed the menu. Try it yourself, for example using the PDF popup on a print dialog.

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 19 Dec 2017 12:45 #92496

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 733
It's been fixed.

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 19 Dec 2017 12:50 #92498

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 497
Operating system level keyboard commands always take priority over application level keyword commands. It has always been this way.

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 19 Dec 2017 13:08 #92501

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72

FCPX.guru wrote: Operating system level keyboard commands always take priority over application level keyword commands. It has always been this way.

I used to have my own workspaces *saved as* and have them added in >system preferences >keyboard >shortcuts >app shortcuts >Final Cut Pro with the exact names. Worked in 10.3, doesn't work now. Not a big deal though.

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 19 Dec 2017 14:17 #92507

• lichinho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Axel wrote:

FCPX.guru wrote: Operating system level keyboard commands always take priority over application level keyword commands. It has always been this way.

I used to have my own workspaces *saved as* and have them added in >system preferences >keyboard >shortcuts >app shortcuts >Final Cut Pro with the exact names. Worked in 10.3, doesn't work now. Not a big deal though.

Shortcuts are a valuable thing for me, so I had to try it.
It is still working here in 10.4 (shortcuts for sharing, and for workspaces, added in System Preferences). Make sure that the names are spelled exactly, and that the shortcuts you choose are not used for something else, either at the application or system level.

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 19 Dec 2017 15:00 #92508

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
@lichinho.
Did that. Axels Color and Axels Browser surely don't exist elsewhere. And if I go over the top menu, everything looks the way I arranged it. Only if I use my shortcuts, FCP has forgotten how the windows were resized. Wrote feedback already.

Last edit: by Axel.

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 19 Dec 2017 15:12 #92509

• lichinho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
It appears you are saying something completely different then.
I had taken that the shortcuts were the problem, but now I see that the problem is Workspaces created in the previous version do not seem to work in the current one.
If that is the case, then it may be a bug. I have no such workspace to try. The one I created for testing (already in 10.4) is working, so maybe you have to recreate yours and that will hopefully work (annoying though it may be).

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 20 Dec 2017 05:19 #92538

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661

lichinho wrote: … that the problem is Workspaces created in the previous version do not seem to work in the current one.….

wot, really? <checking>, no, my own Workspaces before updating are avail and fully functional in 10_4....

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 20 Dec 2017 09:06 #92543

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
My workspaces appear and are correct, but not available through system shortcuts. However, I can still go to >user >library >Application support >FinalCut Pro >Workspaces, duplicate and rename them to (exactly):
Factory 2 - Organize.moduleLayout
and
Factory 3 - Color & Effects.moduleLayout
... then replace the files in >applications >FinalCut Pro >show package contents> contents >ressources >workspaces.

With every FCP update, they are reset to default (as I have learnt), and I have to repeat the procedure.

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 20 Dec 2017 13:38 #92559

• lichinho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Axel wrote: My workspaces appear and are correct, but not available through system shortcuts. However, I can still go to >user >library >Application support >FinalCut Pro >Workspaces, duplicate and rename them to (exactly):
Factory 2 - Organize.moduleLayout
and
Factory 3 - Color & Effects.moduleLayout
... then replace the files in >applications >FinalCut Pro >show package contents> contents >ressources >workspaces.

With every FCP update, they are reset to default (as I have learnt), and I have to repeat the procedure.

Why, oh why are you doing that???!!!

I dare say that messing inside the application bundle is a big no no. It is surely unwarranted in this case.

Your own workspaces should be there where they were inside the appropriate folder under Application Support.

If you so much dislike the default workspaces provided by the application, fine, don't use them. Use your own. They appear in the menu, they can be associated with shortcuts, just not Command-0, etc, that are reserved.

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 09 Jun 2019 20:27 #100181

• patvideoguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello folks,
I'm new to this forum, so apologize in advance for my lack of understanding of the ins and outs...
I installed the new version of FCPX 10.4.4. Since doing so, the spacebar (or any other method) does not work to play back video or audio clips in the browser. I have tried every trick listed in the comments here, but nothing has worked. If I place the mouse cursor on any clip and press the space bar, the "view" label quickly flashes but nothing plays. I can set skimming for the timeline, but it does not stay activated in the browser.

Any more hints? Currently I have to throw everything into the timeline just to preview it. Obviously not any way to work.

Thank you for your help.

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 09 Jun 2019 20:44 #100184

• patvideoguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello again,

I had been having the spacebar issues with playing back any media in the browser.
After selecting the default window layout, I was able to play with the spacebar. I then created a new saved workspace, and all is working as before. So curiously after the update final cut was not able to use my preferred workspace, but now that I have created a new one after updating to q0.4.4 all is good.
I hope perhaps this helps someone else having these issues.

Using "Space Bar" to playback clips in browser 10 Jun 2019 14:53 #100190

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242

patvideoguy wrote: I then created a new saved workspace, and all is working as before. So curiously after the update final cut was not able to use my preferred workspace, but now that I have created a new one after updating to q0.4.4 all is good.

It is recommended to trash preferences when running a new version of FCPX for the first time after any update (by holding Option AND Command when you launch the app). This likely would have solved your problem, but glad you got it working.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

• Page: