fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A skype call to hel me understand a few things, please?????

A skype call to hel me understand a few things, please????? 14 Apr 2017 13:12 #87210

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661

MsJustine wrote: ….. Copy pasting proves you know how to copy and paste and does not prove you understand what you pasted as a link!

EY, msj!
Dave in his compassion answers your request, and now you insult him?
Asking for the ban-hammer??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A skype call to hel me understand a few things, please????? 14 Apr 2017 13:15 #87211

• MsJustine
  • MsJustine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
Hi Karsten,

No, I just pointed out that if he wants to come across as helpful, just copy pasting without added commentary is not helpful.

All I have done is point out a problem I have, that the solution as per Apple is a problem, the 1 only prores is not helpful, it is doing something really strange to my media, I love FCPX, I think it is the best out there, and I feel there is a problem.

I will refrain from posting again!

A skype call to hel me understand a few things, please????? 14 Apr 2017 13:23 #87212

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
What I am asking for is someone with a lot more experience to explain to me what is going on, how do I solve this problem, in the spirit of friendship, and to maybe one day maybe I will be able to get paid work...

I don't understand everything, and I have tried for months to find out why and what is going on with this footage, what is the best method to overcome a problem I have, sorry if I have offended, I never set out to do that, I have no one here to ask for guidance.

I see no problem with asking for help, and yes I would love for someone to take a look at my material and maybe suggest a way to get to where I need, we all love the software, and I hate not understanding why the video works in 1 mode and how to get it to work in all mides, ie proxy and optimized...

I will change the video, I have exported and maybe I am doing it wrong, I will accept that...

A skype call to hel me understand a few things, please????? 14 Apr 2017 13:26 #87214

• davechap
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • I'm like a 900 page Harry Potter novel.
  • Thank you received: 19
MsJustine. Once you read both links I posted, we can offer more help. Both of those articles by Larry Jordan should fill in some holes in your understanding of this topic. If you don't read them, we probably can't offer anymore help.

For your reference...

Link 1:
larryjordan.com/articles/media-in-fcp-x/

Link 2:
larryjordan.com/articles/fcpx-when-to-optimize-media/

Last edit: by davechap.

A skype call to hel me understand a few things, please????? 14 Apr 2017 13:35 #87215

• Andreas Kiel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 175
First:
Sorry for my previous post - it was to harsh.

MsJustine wrote: As I said, Apple has decided what is best, and that is not helpful any any way. You have missed my point

Apple did only decide what is best for previewing files within the FCPX package. Nothing else.
In case you got a 6K whatever file your hardware will give limitations and you might need a proxy file with lower dimensions and color space to have a fluent playback.
These are the options to choose from.
It's the same for any NLE.

A skype call to hel me understand a few things, please????? 14 Apr 2017 14:22 #87216

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
Andreas Think you hit the nail on the head.
If I recall correctly, MsJ has a middle of the road 13" MBP i5 (i3?) 8GB (think she started with only 4GB) computer and slow external drives and now wants to push it beyond capabilities with 6K footage?? Let's add some multi-cam to the equation, lots of effects, how about some scrolling text??
Really it is all Apple's fault??

MsJ you need to be very thankful for proxy.

Greg

A skype call to hel me understand a few things, please????? 15 Apr 2017 11:54 #87224

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
If I remember correctly, Justine had one single 7 seconds 6k clip that caused problems because it was not transcoded to proxy and therefore offline in the proxy timeline view. Perhaps I can let the penny drop: proxy view in the viewer means every clip has to have a proxy version. You have to right-click it and make a proxy copy. If your monitor isn't 4k - let alone 6k :unsure: - then you won't notice a difference. One can even color correct with proxy - if there is only a tiny low-res window to monitor the video, anything else makes little sense. Proxies have heir limits if you want to draw precise masks or judge noise before Neat or Photon Pro, but apart from that they are fantastic.

What about an alpha channel? I don't know. I do use ProRes4444 occasionally when exporting animated title animations from After Effects (don't ask!). They don't play perfectly smoothly on a much more powerful machine than your's, but I don't care. They tend to be short, so I hit ctrl r, an the "problem" is solved ...

A skype call to hel me understand a few things, please????? 15 Apr 2017 12:10 #87225

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
Hi All, the problem I am having, and trying to find a solution to, and I have found a viable solution actually, between yesterday and today..

I have 1 clip that is overlay on top of another video clip to cover part of a virtual set for 7 seconds, this 7 second clip when I import it as the original, and despite my best efforts of changing the type of clip in compressor, when I change the timeline into proxy mode, the clip instead of covering 20% of the set, it turns into a full black clip.. Not ideal.

The rest of the material in proxy mode is 100% it was just this 7 second clip I use twice, in the 180 seconds the project lasts, so what I have done is hand draw a mask around the set where the clip has to be, and inverted the mask, it works, but not 100%, now I am not sure why that is, lack of understanding, need older experienced brain to explain...

It seems that the proxy mode affects the alpha channel in a strange way, that is not apparent in Original/Optimized mode. I have changed the 7 second clip into ProRes 4444 with Alpha, and in proxy, with the hand drawn mask, a strange effect, yet I do not need the mask the I use Original/Optimized..

To explain, the 7 second clip is of 3 magazine covers that fade on and fade out, the magazine covers are in the middle of the screen with a white background around the outside, equally wide all the way around, think of a box in the middle and 4 white broad borders.. As each magazine cover fades in, there is a white box the same dimension of the magazine cover, that lasts for a few frames.

In Original/Optimized you cannot see the white placeholders, in proxy you can, and it is this I am trying to understand what is going on.. I can edit using the inverted mask, in proxy mode, and the video plays 80%, that is with the white placeholder, it is acceptable for editing...

Thanks everyone...

A skype call to hel me understand a few things, please????? 15 Apr 2017 14:50 #87227

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72

MsJustine wrote: It seems that the proxy mode affects the alpha channel in a strange way, that is not apparent in Original/Optimized mode. I have changed the 7 second clip into ProRes 4444 with Alpha, and in proxy, with the hand drawn mask, a strange effect, yet I do not need the mask the I use Original/Optimized..

Yes. To see the alpha channel, resp. to make the transparent areas disappear, you can't use proxy. Be it as it may, what you did was actually not editing but compositing, and under many circumstances it's wise to do that in full resolution with the actual (or optimized) video, since proxy only has a quarter resolution. Enjoy the fact that you can cut, retime, resize and even grade with proxy and that switching from proxy to full quality is just one click in the viewer. Compositing is generally considered serious post and many do that in dedicated software like Motion or After Effects. Couldn't you have saved the magazine covers as PNG or PSD stills (both with alpha) in PS or Affinity? Sounds complicated to make a film clip of them ...

A skype call to hel me understand a few things, please????? 15 Apr 2017 14:56 #87228

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
I have the psd and pdf, I just dont know how to recreate the angle and the set up with alpha, I was a tyv news video editor, who needed alpha channels there, I worked in tape based systems...My career as a video editor has never got off the ground since the introduction of final cut studio 2...

I am trying to get my skills sharp for this 1 project as there is talk of season 2 later, and a biggish contract.. That was why I asked for skype call....To understand how to do the psd/pdf to video with alpha, so that I have total control and not hope on the skills of others...

• Page: