fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS?

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 09:10 #85253

• tj7
  • tj7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks, but something is missing here.
There must be *something* different happening in your system - and in those few who can magically get MS working flawlessly under Sierra without doing *anything* in addition to the install of MS. MPEG2component literally does not natively exist under Sierra, and MS needs it. Additionally, aside from this, MS does NOT natively play nicely with Sierra. If it did, pages and threads such as this would not exist:

onebestsoft.com/mpeg-streamclip-alternative-mac/
discussions.apple.com/thread/7707704?start=0&tstart=0

etc

I have, just now, uninstalled and reinstalled the latest (2012) version of MS and used their included installer app for MPEG2. Confoundingly they do not include the MPEG2 disk image, but I managed to find it on a certain torrenting site and have got MS going. It actually is now not asking for MPEG2 component installation and is able to fix timecode breaks. Note that I had already manually installed MPEG2 but chose to reinstall using the MS installer app for this purpose.

However, it is glitchy and looks like this:

(See screenshot - note the weirdness in the time line bar at the bottom and the black box at left).
I am running Sierra just like you.

In any case, I don't really care about the visual glitch - it's awkward and makes the app unwieldly, but I have literally just fixed all of my timecode breaks and can happily snip out whatever I want from these VOB files.

:cheer:

Karsten Schlüter wrote:

tj7 wrote: …Ok, so again, *how* have you got it working, please?

dl, install, double-click, works ;)

tried right now: in/out/trim = fully functional, 'fixing TC breaks' avail, but can not check, no 'broken' files at hand.

No, this topic runs cycles :
you need MpegStreamclips ability to handle VOBs (=muxed a+v-files, from videoDVDs) - therefore (and only therefore) Steamclip demands ye ol' mp2-playback-component…

Stefano gave advice on his squared5 website how to install that component on older OS', never tried on Sierra (no need here), have you tried those workarounds?
For the rare moments I need to import from disks, I use Handbrake - but never cared for TCbreaks …

Sorry for not being of better help …

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by tj7.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 09:32 #85254

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661

tj7 wrote: Thanks, but something is missing here.
There must be *something* different happening in your system - and in those few who can magically get MS working flawlessly under Sierra without doing *anything* in addition to the install of MS. …

sorry, can not tell more - when FCPX10_3 came out, I spend my trusty MacMini a new internal drive, a SSD.
Knowing there're tons of leftovers on my old drive, I decided NOT to use any Migration Services, but to install 'from the ground' - all apps I use straight from the manufacturers sites(or AppStore).

So, my system is 'very clean' …  :lol:
… and that's why I'm shy to 'test' install obsolete mp2-components and like that.... (somewhere existing on some older backup of my syzttem)

No, it just works.
Here.
Except the VOB-support, but I don't need hat.

<cough> the mp2-playback.component is a $$ software… <cough> you either had purchased it or you shouldn't mention where you 'found' it …  :evil:

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 09:45 #85256

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Karsten Schlüter wrote:
<cough> the mp2-playback.component is a $$ software… <cough> you either had purchased it or you shouldn't mention where you 'found' it …  :evil:

Heh heh!

Well, if Apple still *sold* the freaking thing, I would have happily paid for it.
They don't, which is just one tiny example of how infuriatingly and needlessly difficult that company can be.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 10:31 #85261

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661

tj7 wrote: …Well, if Apple still *sold* the freaking thing, I would have happily paid for it.
They don't, which is just one tiny example of how infuriatingly and needlessly difficult that company can be.

We should stop that part of the dialogue - just because something isn't legal on sale, does not imply, it's 'free'…
Esp. on a board populated by 'creators' I expect a higher respect upon intellectual property.

And the underlying Quicktime engine was announced obsolete about a decade ago - so, any QT-components make no sense In 2017. Just because YOU need that, doesn' t mean Apple HAS to offer it.

Sidenote:
if you need legacy tools that urgently , why not keeping them? I'm aware of 'print people' bewaring an old 'cheese-grinder' and MacOs10.1. just to keep old, but needed and never updated scanner software running.

… getting grumpy, I notice…  Guess, I can not contribute any more on the OT…

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 13:01 #85264

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I'm far too logical and practical to limit my work for the sake of what's morally "right" in this instance. The fact that nobody can identify any other way of fixing timecode breaks in VOB files is a clear indicator that I actually have no other option but to use MPEG Streamclip. I don't consider it fair, reasonable or logical for me to have to go to the arduous lengths of installing virtual OS software just because Apple no longer offer a certain component for sale anymore - especially when it can be sourced easily and with arguably *no* harm done to Apple. I have not cost them a cent, in fact I am more likely to purchase plugins for FCPX given it has become more useful now that I can convert these VOB files.

It is also, arguably, not sensible or reasonable for me to simply go back to an older OS for the sake of ONE application, especially when doing so would render so much other work impossible as a result due to incompatibility issues.

"Sourcing" the component we have been discussing, in context of it actually not being available for purchase, may technically contravene intellectual property principals, but it does not contradict the *spirit* of that principal in terms of what it is intended to protect.

Whilst I very much appreciate the help I have received in this thread, I will admit I find it tedious that someone has thrown in the old "wooooooh, no stealing! That's ILLEGAL!" thing. I mean, come on. Let's stick with common sense and logic here. We are talking about a video component that is necessary for a particular purpose and ****which is not legitimately available for purchase anymore*****. If Apple gave a rat's whisker about people using this component for free, they would still be selling it. It is patently illogical to jump through 37 hoops of fire for the sake of one component which you literally can't buy anymore but is fairly easily found online in various threads. It can be downloaded via a particular youtube comments thread, for goodness sake.

Sigh. Who am I kidding. I'll call the government and turn myself in tomorrow. I don't know how I will live with this heavy, rank stain on my conscience.

:whistle:

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 13:07 #85265

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
PS - Let's not forget that this component *used* to come with the OS. Back under 10 - point - something, I think. Somewhere along the way, it was overwritten / deleted by the OS as it was considered redundant.

So technically, I have actually stolen nothing. I simply reacquired what I used to own. If I could really have been bothered, I could probably have dug through some very old backups and found it there.

Googling was much easier.

....not grumpy, but I'm certainly a smart arse!

B)

Last edit: by tj7.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 13:33 #85266

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 499
Has anyone tried FFMPEGX lately for this type of work?

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 27 Jan 2017 23:00 #85275

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
So even if you ran MPEG Streamclip on a legacy OS, wouldn't you still need the QT7 MPEG 2 component? So not only would you have to pirate the MPEG 2 component, you'd have to pirate an older OS. Apple doesn't keep legit versions of older OS's for people to download willy-nilly do they? Or even buy? Then you might have to buy an older Mac... used. Apple wouldn't see any of that money either.

No matter what you do, it's jail time for you. I am glad you decided to report yourself to the authorities. The client will fire you as well since the work isn't done. Tell the client that what he/she wants done is ILLEGAL. Then have them arrested as well. You both deserve prison. I'm being sarcastic, of course. :)

Anyway in all seriousness I wouldn't advertise how you got it, just say you found it. Maybe it was in one of your drawers. :P

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 02 Feb 2017 16:05 #85408

• bogiesan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27

There should be no problems opening VOB files and fixing timecode breaks on Sierra with MPEG Streamclip. And the UI has no glitches as well.

And yet my copy does not function.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 02 Feb 2017 20:22 #85413

• tj7
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

eugeny.korkhin wrote: Hi
Have a look

There should be no problems opening VOB files and fixing timecode breaks on Sierra with MPEG Streamclip. And the UI has no glitches as well.

Please can you read everything before posting in future. I quote from a previous post in this thread:

Thanks, but something is missing here.
There must be *something* different happening in your system - and in those few who can magically get MS working flawlessly under Sierra without doing *anything* in addition to the install of MS. MPEG2component literally does not natively exist under Sierra, and MS needs it. Additionally, aside from this, MS does NOT natively play nicely with Sierra. If it did, pages and threads such as this would not exist:

onebestsoft.com/mpeg-streamclip-alternative-mac/
discussions.apple.com/thread/7707704?start=0&tstart=0

I've explained all there is to explain. Yes, it magically works perfectly for some people. Those of us that this does NOT happen for need to know what the solution is. I've already got it working for my purpose - it's glitchy - but whatever. I've given up finding someone who can explain how to get it all 100%.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 03 Feb 2017 04:35 #85418

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 499
Way back when I actually purchased the MPEG-2 plugin for QT7 Pro.
I've always done OS X upgrades running the upgrade app/function, never had to restore from a backup. Well, way back in the day you did, but I had direct, fresh backups. Never did a fresh install.

BUT, I do not have that MPEG-2 plugin any longer on my system.

AND MPEGStreamClip has no MPEG-2 capabilities. Not to playback not to convert, not to open, nothing.

Desperate: How do I fix timecode breaks now that MPEG Streamclip is dead for Mac OS? 03 Feb 2017 17:15 #85449

• bogiesan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
bogiesan: MacPro late 2013, MacOS 10.12.2
MPEG Streamclip (1.9.3b8 2012) returns these two errors when told to open a DVD:
1. Requires Apple MPEG2 playback component.
2. If you trouble installing Apple MPEG2 playback component, please se utility MPEG2 component. (There is no explanation of what this means.)

The DVD file does not open.

• Page: