fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I need help! How to burn a Blu-Ray please.

I need help! How to burn a Blu-Ray please. 07 Oct 2016 21:32 #80582

• fcpxh
  • fcpxh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello guys, I'm new in fcp.co and I need your help. I need to record a 1h and 30 min project to a BD-R burner Sony VBD-MA1. I'm running a FCP X 10.2, Compressor 4.2, Roxio Toast 14.1. This is the audio file I got from compressor (Dolby Digital.ac3) & video file (Blu-ray.264). Why is not working. Please help. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I need help! How to burn a Blu-Ray please. 08 Oct 2016 14:29 #80586

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
Hi xh
Share out of FCPX to a Blu-ray Disc to the desktop. You may need to add BD as a destination.
This will create an .img file that contains the needed file structure for the BD.
Creating a separate image file and burning in separate operations eliminates one possible problematic issue where Macs hang on burning the file. This also keeps a copy of the file outside of FCPX if you want to make additional copies without having to open up FCPX and exporting again.

Once exported hook up your BD burner (make sure your burners drivers are up to date and compatible with whatever OS you are using). (I've had issues with Sony burners in the past, YMMV)
You can either right (control) click on the file and choose "Burn to Disk" from the Finder. Finder will ask you to insert a "Blank disk".
Or you can use Toast with Blu-ray Disc plug-in. This is an additional add-on ($19.99 I think??) and is included in the PRO version of Toast.
In Toast you want the "Copy" Tab not the "Video" Tab. Then copy image file. Drag your FCPX created .img file into the window and click "Burn" It will ask you to "Name" your disk and you can choose how many copies you want.
Hope this helps, Greg

I need help! How to burn a Blu-Ray please. 08 Oct 2016 19:54 #80591

• fcpxh
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Greg, You are helping me a lot! I have some screen shots that I want to share with you. As you see when I go to settings I have OUTPUT DEVICE: HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS31N (AVCHD). FILE: H.264 File & 18 MB est.
In my other option I have OUTPUT Device: HARD DRIVE (BLU-RAY). FILE: H.264 File & 38.8 MB best. (as you can see this last number is doble the space wich is not good when you have one hour project).
For some reason I don't have the .image file you are mentioning. Perhaps I have to change my setting but how?
As additional note, I was able to burn a dis in my MacBook. the disc came out as a quit time format. I was able to run it in my MacBook but not in my regular BD-Player.

Thank you.
Attachments:

I need help! How to burn a Blu-Ray please. 08 Oct 2016 19:59 #80592

• fcpxh
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm sorry. Just want to be sure that you got my attachments.

I need help! How to burn a Blu-Ray please. 08 Oct 2016 20:03 #80593

• fcpxh
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Please let me know if you got my screen shots.

I need help! How to burn a Blu-Ray please. 09 Oct 2016 16:53 #80597

• Russ Haskell
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
From the info you provided, it doesn't appear that your Blu Ray burner is connected …or if it is, it's not "seen" by FCP. The AVCHD output option you have creates a relatively low bit rate HD file, using a normal DVD burner and DVD media. An AVCHD disk would be limited to approximately 30 minutes – obviously inadequate for your project – and would be lower quality than a Blu Ray disk. If your BD burner is connected, but is not listed as an option, check in System Information to verify that the Mac recognizes it.

Russ

I need help! How to burn a Blu-Ray please. 10 Oct 2016 15:54 #80624

• dfphoto
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi I did this two years ago on a short 3 min. project and let me tell you it took about 12 hours to render. Plus the conversion created a major gamma shift so the final was very dark....

I saw two issues, 1. the DVD blank had to be for blu-ray (meaning size to fit) I used Roxio toast plus the blu ray add-on it worked great. In my case it fit on a standard dvd but I'm assuming a long form will need a double sided 8gb disk. Test a 3 min clip and see what the color and time to burn will be. NOTE: this was cut on a standard 1tb internal spin drive on a macbook pro if you have SSD's etc it will be quicker but the DVD burn is very slow plus the verification and potential for an error is about 20% on my use which really sucks...

I need help! How to burn a Blu-Ray please. 10 Oct 2016 17:36 #80627

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi xh
Sorry for not replying sooner, I can only help as time allows.
You have 2 threads running on the same issue, try to only have a single thread per issue, this helps everyone.
What OS version are you using? The drivers for the BD burner relate to specific OSs, so make sure you have the latest driver for your device and is compatible with your OS. Is it showing up in Finder or Disk Utility? As I stated before, I have had issues with Sony providing proper and timely updated drivers for their devices for Macs. I think they have not updated the drivers for this burner since 2011 and this device is now obsolete. Outdated drivers are a top reason for a device not showing up or functioning properly.

How exactly did you "Share" from FCPX? The only screen shot I see attached is for the Info Pane, not the Settings Pane.
If you exported "Share" a BD file from FCPX to your Desktop (or Folder) then you should see an .img file with the name of the Project. Is it not showing up? It could show up as .dmg or BD, sorry don't remember, thought it was .img suffix. This is independent of having a BD burner connected, SO LONG AS you do not select the BD device as file destination. This is why you want to Share to Desktop, not Burn from FCPX. Try to re-export and check in the Settings Pane that Desktop is selected as file location destination. Is it there now? Disconnect your BD burner just so FCPX will not try to "Burn" the file.

Given you "burned" a Quick(sp) Time format disk instead of a BD disk, this sounds like you exported a Master File, not a BD format file. Again check your Settings, screen shot maybe? Need additional info.

As far as file size, larger in general means higher resolution/quality. A single layer BD holds 25GB and a double layer holds 50GB. That's GigaBytes not MegaBytes, 25GB is 25,000MBs so no need to worry about it. Heck, if your burner supports it, you can get 4 layer BD discs that can hold 100GBs.

Not sure about your Audio file?? Is it separate from your Project? It should be imported into your Project and appear under the video clips, Yes/No?? Perhaps a screen shot of your Project Timeline.

As far as speed of "Writing" the file to BD this will depend on several factors. I use an ASUS USB3 BD burner and I consistently get somewhere around 2X to 3X write speeds, so roughly it takes about half the time of the final Project total time for each disc. I typically use Toast Titanium 12 for burning as it is faster for multiple copies than is using the built in Finder "Burn". For one offs it is roughly the same.
No you do not want to use DVDs instead of BD for an hour long HD project. Think dfphoto is totally confused here.

So post again and provide the info and "When" I can spare the time, I'll try to help you out if it still isn't working. If you can, try to burn using a different brand burner, I sent my Sony back.

Off to do Ranch work.

Hope this helps, Greg

I need help! How to burn a Blu-Ray please. 14 Oct 2016 08:48 #80749

• fcpxh
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Greg, Here is the screen shots.

I need help! How to burn a Blu-Ray please. 14 Oct 2016 08:58 #80753

• fcpxh
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Attachments:

I need help! How to burn a Blu-Ray please. 14 Oct 2016 09:01 #80754

• fcpxh
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Greg can I call you please?

I need help! How to burn a Blu-Ray please. 14 Oct 2016 16:23 #80767

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi xh
So what OS version are you using?
In the Settings Pane {screen shot (100KB)} Under the Output Device, using the pop-up exposures arrows, does your Sony MA1 show up? What is showing there in the screen shot is the built-in DVD burner, not the BD burner. If your MA1 does show up, select it and try to burn.
Does it show up in Disk Utility?
Does your BD device show up in System Information About this Mac>System Info>under the connection method you are connecting the device by?
Are you connecting this device via Firewire or USB? The USB may be for SONY cameras only, not sure?? Have you tried FW?

There is also the possibility that you could copy your .img file onto an SD card and insert that and then create a BD from there. Have you tried that? SONY claims to support up to SDXC cards. Not sure this method will work as it is not clear if the slot expects to see camera file structure and formats only, or if it can burn from an .img file. This device was mainly a SONY support device for their line of cameras. If it will only utilize camera files and not .img files, then not much use to you as it ignores the edited project.

Does your device show up under Toast Titanium?
Did you ever find the "Share"(ed/exported) file on your desktop? Is it an .img file?

In all honesty, I think this device does not have driver support and will not work under the latest OSs. I do not see any info on the Sony site specifying Mac El Capitan or now Sierra compatibility.
Sierra especially played havoc with many USB devices. They need new drivers. Not sure if this is an issue due to Sierra or due to changes within USB standards. The USB standards just underwent changes in order to support USB-C and alternate mode and I suspect this messed up older USB devices.
The MA1 was discontinued over 5 years ago. Think you are the victim of the Dark Side of Murphy's Law where devices are abandoned in rapid fashion. Sorry about that, but that would be my best guess.

I can tell you that it is indeed possible to make BD from Macs. I make a few hundred each year using a retina MBP 10.6 (mid 2012). I have used Yosemite and El Capitan to make them. Haven't upgraded to Sierra yet, but do not expect any issues. I will check for updated drivers for my ASUS BD burner first however.

Sorry to say this, but it may be time to buy a new burner. Check the SONY forums and other discussion sites for anyone who is still using this model and see if it will work for your OS version.

Afraid I have run out of ideas my friend, Good Luck
Greg

I need help! How to burn a Blu-Ray please. 15 Oct 2016 22:56 #80803

• fcpxh
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Greg, thank you for your time and patience.

I'm running a MacBook OS X Yosemite 10.10.5.

I have to say: no, my MacBook doesn't reed my Sony VBD-MA1 but my ROXIO Toast 14.1 yes. So we have one problem solved here.

My question is, when you see my screens shots, what is wrong? why my file is (H.264) and not (.image) why I don't see this option in my options. Why when I export my 10s clip from FCPX share to my desktop I get a QuickTime format disk? As you know a QuickTime format will not run on a regular BD player.

Should I take that QuickTime file and import it to ROXIO Toast then change something there and burn it in Sony MA1?

I think the problem is what and how to export the project from FCPX. WHAT will be the right format?

Thank you sr.
Attachments:

I need help! How to burn a Blu-Ray please. 16 Oct 2016 03:23 #80804

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661

fcpxh wrote: … but my ROXIO Toast 14.1 yes. ….

… export Master-file, use Toast to create and burn a BluRay, done, I'd say … 
;)

• Page: