fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: ProRes or native file?

ProRes or native file? 17 Jul 2016 15:33 #78680

• click
  • click's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello everyone, I have a question for you, with my old Imac 24 "dual core was working until yesterday AVCHD / MT2- converted to Apple ProRes 422 HQ files with FCPX 10.2 3 and everything went smoothly with no problems, but with huge files occupy much space on my HD.

Today instead I bought an Imac 27 "I7 used with SSD, and tried to work with the native AVCHD file / MTS2, my Imac works quiet with no skips or slowdowns, so I wonder if it is unnecessary to convert to ProRes 422.
What about?
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ProRes or native file? 17 Jul 2016 16:07 #78684

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
On a Mac that is powerful enough (GPU and drive speed) optimization is indeed unnecessary.

Also, converting AVCHD to ProRes HQ is sort of overkill. Regular ProRes should be good enough. You'll still have larger file sizes, but not nearly as large.

ProRes or native file? 17 Jul 2016 16:15 #78686

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196
Hey Click
That's a huge difference between CPUs so ability to handle native files by new computer much greater. If not experiencing any beachballs, dropped frames, no need in IMHO to transcode.
I would also test after applying effects and multi-cam. You may find for that it helps to go ProRes, or maybe not.
The GPU is also a big jump so effects rendering will improve.
Of course, resolution plays a big role as well. 1080 may not need transcoding, but 2-8K may/will.
Guess the last thing is if you export to other programs for some external editing. Those apps may do much better with ProRes.
ProRes files are big, but relieve CPU processing, just need lots of fast storage.

Hope this helps, Greg

ProRes or native file? 17 Jul 2016 17:04 #78687

• click
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I understand, but I really do not do much video editing, are not a professional working every day, I make fittings for hobbies, work 3 or 4 hours every three days and that's it, so my iMac is not subjected to excessive stress, capita?
thanks anyway then I will work natively MTS2.

ProRes or native file? 20 Jul 2016 18:27 #78764

• TMav
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I edit on rMBP late 2013 that has 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Ram and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB optional video card. I never optimize my video in FCPX because performance without doing so has been fine editing the native files and when optimizing it takes a long time and uses huge amounts of hard drive space. I'm able to get good performance without optimizing multicam clips with 1 stream of 4k video from a GH4, 1 stream of 1080 AVCHD of of a Panasonic AGAC160 and BMCPC 1080 output from DaVinci Resolve as ProRes 422 HQ, plus a couple streams of audio. All my libraries and files are kept on external drives. Primarily I use SSD drives I swap out to external FirmTek USB 3 case. But I've gotten pretty good performance unoptimized on 7200 RPM drive also.

So, if your happy with the performance of FCPX without optimizing I don't see a reason to.

Last edit: by TMav. Reason: Added last line

ProRes or native file? 21 Jul 2016 08:02 #78776

• click
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks, I have tested and work well with the native files.

• Page: