• Page:

TOPIC: Rolling End Movie Credits

Rolling End Movie Credits 24 Jun 2016 17:57 #78109

• simon.yates
  • simon.yates's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I spent a year looking for scrolling end movie credits. The credits seen at the end of a large budget movie. They are simple, white text on a black background. There is formatting control, ability to have multiple columns. Even add a static image or video clip.

I have seen many that are colourful, have animations, but are essentially unprofessional or gimmicky. The best one I came across was the free one from Manifesto ( www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/882-the-fr...-for-final-cut-pro-x ). This is pretty good, but limited: no image, no video and no way to format easily.

Does anyone have experience with the end scrolling credits that I describe, and know where I can purchase them?

Thanks,
S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rolling End Movie Credits 28 Jun 2016 03:50 #78183

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 244
I am not aware of a plugin that provides the rolling credit PLUS drop zones for animations, graphics or video. Those elements could be easily composited or layered onto whatever rolling credit you use. Sugar FX makes a scrolling credit plugin available thru FX Factory and FCPX has a basic simple scrolling credit in the Titles browser. Manifesto, as you mention, might be the best choice for the text itself.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Rolling End Movie Credits 28 Jun 2016 03:55 #78184

• CMessineo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I would love to have a good scrolling credits plugin too.

Rolling End Movie Credits 28 Jun 2016 17:39 #78216

• dmb
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Check out Ripple Tools 2, www.rippletraining.com/plugin/ripple-tools-2/ . Has a title for highly configurable scrolling text and drop zones in which you can add graphics or video. I have used it many times and found it to be very useful.

Rolling End Movie Credits 28 Jun 2016 19:41 #78222

• simon.yates
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you. This looks pretty good. Much what I was looking for!

Rolling End Movie Credits 29 Jun 2016 21:46 #78257

• simon.yates
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I tried using the scrolling movie credit with images and movies. I had trouble right fro the get go so I removed it. I downloaded the trial first to make sure it worked properly.

I loved how it arranged the text. But when I formatted text at the bottom, it changed everything. I could not get back the clean format I had before. I also had trouble with the text at the bottom of the credits showing up. Its too bad because I liked it otherwise.

Did you have any trouble with it when you used it?

Rolling End Movie Credits 30 Jun 2016 14:38 #78282

• bogiesan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Credits on many of our shows have been deliberately designed typrography projects, designed and executed by a competent graphics and layout designer using Illustrator, In Design, or Photoshop. Total control over every aspect of type and aesthetics of layout. Corrections and modifications are simple and direct.

I receive several tall TIFF files with alpha. We use several individual files instead of a single huge image because corrections are easier to handle. I drop these into Motion and apply shadows or outlines as needed, adjust vertical scrolling speeds, add motion blur, whatever it takes. I can insert movies or graphics into the scroll while in Motion. I can render them all into a single movie file or I can create several individual movies.

All of the credit generators I have ever used had flaws of one kind or another, usually with multiple text formats (name and title/character/affiliation), tabs, and column functions. Far easier to do credits in an external typographical composition system especially if your credits run more than a few screen heights.

Rolling End Movie Credits 30 Jun 2016 14:44 #78284

• simon.yates
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you. I have the same observations: every plugin I have looked at has been frustrating to use due to issues of one type or another and are very slow to regenerate.

I'll try it out first. Do you have any suggestions: articles, how tos, links? I have not done any animation since I used Lightwave on an Amiga 4000!

Regards,
S

Rolling End Movie Credits 30 Jun 2016 15:23 #78288

• simon.yates
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

simon.yates wrote: Thank you. I have the same observations: every plugin I have looked at has been frustrating to use due to issues of one type or another and are very slow to regenerate.

I'll try it out first. Do you have any suggestions: articles, how tos, links? I have not done any animation since I used Lightwave on an Amiga 4000!

Regards,
S

Okay, Motion 5 looks like the way to go, but I have a few questions as they don't do trial anymore.

1) Can I easily add images to the credit roll? By images I mean:
a) Dolby digital logo like in the holly wood movies. It would have to match the scroll rate.
b) static images that roll with the text
c) video clips that move with the text

This video shows how to do the text, but without the ability to use images and video, I might just as well keep using manefesto.

Thanks,
S

Rolling End Movie Credits 30 Jun 2016 15:37 #78289

• dmb
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I have not had any significant issues with the Ripple Tools scrolling credits. I have used different formatting on different sections of text. It did take some time to learn how to adjust all the parameters to achieve the results I wanted. I anticipate that using Motion would allow for more precise control, given the capabilities of Motion. However, I also anticipate it would take me quite a while to learn how to do so, as I'm not very well versed in Motion. But my point is that the Ripple Tools plug in works well for me, and I have considerable control over the result. I respectfully encourage spending adequate time with it before making a judgement.

Rolling End Movie Credits 30 Jun 2016 16:11 #78290

• bogiesan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
1) Can I easily add images to the credit roll? By images I mean:
a) Dolby digital logo like in the holly wood movies. It would have to match the scroll rate.
b) static images that roll with the text
c) video clips that move with the text

1. Yes. but "easy" is relative. I've been using After Effects and Motion for 20+ years but I only use about 10% of the functions available in either application.
a. You just need the appropriate logo with an alpha.
b. Yes, they're just layer items placed inside a group. You animate the group.
c. Yes, same as b.

For $50, Motion5 is a fabulous tool to have in your box. However, Motion is different from other animation systems in many ways, much like FCPX differs form more conventional video editors. If you must have incredibly complex credits, you must learn how to use the appropriate tool to create and manage such projects.

Rolling End Movie Credits 02 Jul 2016 11:30 #78331

• Hitch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello,
I have recently purchased Rolling Credits Generator (6$) from Fox Mahoney / SightCreation and I find it very good once you get the logic of the tool (segments, drop zone...) and Fox is very reactive at any question.

Rolling End Movie Credits 06 Jul 2016 18:35 #78436

• simon.yates
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'll take a look, but now that I purchased Motion, I need to figure that out. It is more difficult than it needs to be. I'll have to sit down with manual.

Rolling End Movie Credits 06 Jul 2016 19:18 #78437

• bogiesan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
A few days ago, you said:

I tried using the scrolling movie credit with images and movies. I had trouble right fro the get go so I removed it. I downloaded the trial first to make sure it worked properly.
I loved how it arranged the text. But when I formatted text at the bottom, it changed everything. I could not get back the clean format I had before. I also had trouble with the text at the bottom of the credits showing up. Its too bad because I liked it otherwise.
Did you have any trouble with it when you used it?

Today you are saying:

I'll take a look, but now that I purchased Motion, I need to figure that out. It is more difficult than it needs to be. I'll have to sit down with manual.

Yes, Motion is complicated. Motion is not more complicated than it needs to be; it's your project that requires skills you do not have with tools you have not mastered. There are many ways to simplify the project you have described but they require you make compromises in your creative vision. You can a) learn how to use new tools, b) compromise, or c) hire someone to realize your vision for you.

You're going to love Motion.

Rolling End Movie Credits 08 Jul 2016 09:39 #78480

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 662

simon.yates wrote: … now that I purchased Motion, I need to figure that out. It is more difficult than it needs to be. I'll have to sit down with manual.

Although I use M5 for a while and I even have published some playful plugins… But what you have in mind…

simon.yates wrote: … There is formatting control, ability to have multiple columns. Even add a static image or video clip.…

… I wouldn't dare such a project. Esp. not for a start.
To create one animation for one single project.. perhaps. But building a generic title-plugin, with all those options is no trivia task. (let alone a switchable 1-column/2-column feature… have no clue how to accomplish that! :huh: )

I would follow Davids advice , Rippletools2, that's working, has all your wanted features, easy to use. Plus it's avail now, no need to wait another year for your own compo.....-

You will need M5 for other projects, start with modifying existing titles...create your own, animated lower3rds.... And it's very easy to use, compared to other animation tools, such as After Effects.-

Rolling End Movie Credits 08 Jul 2016 20:35 #78487

• timfo
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I have to plug Endcrawl - having just had a great experience with them. You can sign up for their "beta" and get access to their platform to see how it works. It turns a google spreadsheet with your cast and crew credits into a professional end credits sequence. They also have a logo library built in with the majority of the state/regional film commissions, film vendors, post houses, etc.

It's not a plug-in though, as they render credits and deliver to you as either a still image or mov file. And it's quick - the longest turnaround for a render was about 20 minutes.

You can output lower res files for free, or 1080P for $500, which includes infinite revisions (per project).

The time saved is so worth it.

• Page: