Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 08 Sep 2016 21:30 #79757

• Nervebroke
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
will repost after it is out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Nervebroke.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 08 Sep 2016 21:38 #79758

• davechap
  • davechap's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • I'm like a 900 page Harry Potter novel.
  • Thank you received: 19
Are you on 10.2.3? Or just 10.2?

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 08 Sep 2016 21:40 #79759

• Nervebroke
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
10.2.3 Feed back sent

Dave

Last edit: by Nervebroke.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 08 Sep 2016 21:52 #79760

• bagelche
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Yup. I just installed the GM on a machine and there's our friendly timecode bug back again. Haven't tested anything else in FCPX yet. (also on 10.2.3)

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 08 Sep 2016 22:43 #79761

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46
Hahaha OMG not that bug again :D

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 08 Sep 2016 22:50 #79762

• Nervebroke
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Yes it is true. I don't remember how long it took them to fix it last time.

Dave

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 Sep 2016 00:48 #79765

• Steve McGarrigle
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9

davechap wrote: I don't have any secret knowledge, I just read a lot.

Shallow DOF
I don't think the depth of field effect (when released) will be for video.

The DOF works for both stills and video on the Xiaomi Redmi Pro. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work on the 7Plus.
Here's hoping...

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 Sep 2016 08:07 #79767

• AppleGuru
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Steve McGarrigle wrote:

davechap wrote: I don't have any secret knowledge, I just read a lot.

Shallow DOF
I don't think the depth of field effect (when released) will be for video.

The DOF works for both stills and video on the Xiaomi Redmi Pro. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work on the 7Plus.
Here's hoping...

Oh yes there is one really good reason... that function will be available ether on the iPhone 7s Plus or iPhone 8.

Okay back to the topic

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 Sep 2016 15:21 #79777

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
Well just read a bit of not encouraging news about the DOF feature. Will only work when iPhone is in portrait position (how long have we been trying to get people not to make videos in portrait?) using Portrait Mode (to be release Oct?), must recognize an actual face (automatic detection) to work. Photos only, not video :(

Alec Guyot from MacStories reports… www.macstories.net/news/iphone-7-our-complete-overview/
"…The final feature of the iPhone 7 Plus' camera is the ability to perform an effect called "bokeh", which is a photography term for images where the foreground is sharply in focus while the background is greatly blurred. The Bokeh effect is extremely difficult to achieve for smartphone-sized cameras, but Apple has managed it, sort of, with their new dual-lens system.

In portrait mode, a combination of hardware and software will use facial recognition to determine a person, or people, to focus on in the foreground. It will then defocus the background based on its knowledge of the subjects of the picture. The biggest limitation here is that the feature only works on human subjects (at least based on the information we have about it from the keynote). That means you can't get the bokeh effect on subjects such as flowers or other inanimate objects, only on literal portraits you're taking of people. Furthermore, in portrait mode, Live Photos are disabled, and you can't take video using the effect.
All in all, the new bokeh effect may be extremely impressive technology to be included in the tiny camera of a smartphone, but it is also extremely limited technology at this time…."

Will have to hope that a 3rd party (or Apple) is able to make an video app that uses the 2 lenses for multiple focus. It seems that the iPhone7+ at least has the ability to do this maybe. The Image Processor chip looks pretty amazing.

Hope this helps, Greg

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 Sep 2016 15:29 #79778

• davechap
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Only people? Well darn. I wanted to do some nature shots.

Just FYI, the Portrait mode is a new mode, unrelated to orientation. I doubt the phone has to be in portrait or landscape orientation to work in the Portrait mode.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 Sep 2016 15:32 #79780

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
It is basically just a cheap thrills shiny thing to entice people to buy an iphone or take out an mobile phone contract and have the iphone as the phone of choice.

It is an effect of limited use, and will soon become old and tired, what really irritated me was the focus on gaming, mario and stupid pokemon, really...

No HDR, no video, not going to rush out and spend a few months rent buying an overpriced device.

The only interesting aspect of the last presentation as I see it, was the water eject feature, through the use of the speakers. 2 hours and that was the only highlight.

People are already complaining about the audio port, why not USB, why not this, why not that...The phone is not even out yet and it is already being moaned about!!! Insane really!!

Um, portrait is portrait, it is orientated to be held in a certain way to work from what I saw in the keynote.

Again someone at Apple marketing was drunk on duty, like the Final Cut Pro X 10.2.3 moniker, confusion about names of things.. I thought if you are going to introduce a new thing like this bokeh, then call it the bokeh orientation...now everyone and their models are going to be confused...

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 Sep 2016 15:45 #79782

• davechap
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
You are right about the naming of the feature. Portrait. It's confusing with the orientation of the phone. BUT, if it does only work with people, maybe that's why they went with that name. If it was Bokeh or Shallow or Blur and didn't work on a flower or Star Wars figure (actually, maybe it can because a figure looks like a person!), people would think something was wrong with the phone.

I'm curious how Apple will tap into the potential of the phones. Where is FCP for iOS? Someone will make an app that records both cameras from the Plus and tie them together in a clever way for changing angles in post. Either a third party or Apple will do this in iMovie.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 Sep 2016 15:51 #79783

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
Fair point, but I think this is the pr disaster of FCPX 10.0.0 all over again, the feature was not ready, and Apple felt pressure from Samsung to launch the iphone...

If it was not ready, they, Apple could have done a hundred different things, said a hundred different things during the keynote, to divert attention from a concept that was simply not ready.

Who is going to just take pictures of people? That is simply a stupid idea and the person who greenlighted this for the iphone and the keynote is either an idiot or a very undercover samsung employee...

This idea of iwork working with multiple users, as Mr FCP.co Peter at IBC just noted, the Adobe version is "clunky", so maybe having multiple users for FCPX is not ready yet, Apple already felt the burn of good ideas turning bad quickly...

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 Sep 2016 15:53 #79784

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661

VidGreg wrote: …Alec Guyot from MacStories reports…

… the ability to perform an effect called "bokeh", which is a photography term for images where the foreground is sharply in focus while the background is greatly blurred.
… The biggest limitation here is that the feature only works on human subjects …only on literal portraits you're taking of people. …

I guess,Mr Guyot has no clue of photography:
The 'effect' is not called bokeh, just shallow depth of field/DoF. The amount and 'quality' of blur the background is called 'bokeh', a Japanese leanwort from French 'bouquet' (I don't knwo the story, how a bunch of flowers made it to unsharp lights.. but anyhow :) ) .
One quality criteria is roundness of lightspots, defined by amount of iris parts => therfor the keynotes illustration.

Portraits get a lot of 'depth' with shallow DoF - portrait in terms of 'pics of people'. Not to confuse with 'portrait', the opposite of 'landscape'.

All demo pix at the keynote were protraits in landscape. There were even 'still lifes' = objects with a shallow DoF background be shown...

I would be surprised, when only face-recognition ignites the artificial DoF-effect, you can tap to focus; and even if so, there will be instantly hundreds of apps overridin that, such as FilmicPro overrides any limitations of video-recording (e.g. bitrates) ..

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 Sep 2016 15:59 #79785

• waternyc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
FCPX is awesome I create my best work with it.

Its just a tool in my box.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 Sep 2016 15:59 #79786

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
Hi Dave
Just repeating what I have read. Says it will only work if automatic settings, so no real manual controls. Did read the "New Portrait Mode" includes data from 8 different focal lengths in order to do Bokeh effect. This leads me to hoping that a rack focus effect will eventually be available.

davechap wrote: Only people? Well darn. I wanted to do some nature shots.

Just FYI, the Portrait mode is a new mode, unrelated to orientation. I doubt the phone has to be in portrait or landscape orientation to work in the Portrait mode.

As to orientation of iPhone vs "Portrait Mode" got this from some other article. So take if for what that is worth. (Update: as I was writing this, decided to check if Apple has any info on orientation. On the Apple iPhone 7+ info page, it shows a photo with Bokeh effect in "Landscape" orientation, so seems like the website I read this on is wrong. Just proves you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet) :blush:
The 7(s) can also take 8megaPixel photos while shooting video.

Hope this helps, Greg

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 Sep 2016 16:12 #79787

• waternyc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7

Steve McGarrigle wrote: I'm also thinking that FCP11 is due. We've been on 10 for a long time now:

FCP 5.1 - March 2006.
FCP 6 - April 2007.
FCP 7 - July 2009.
FCP X - June 2011
FCP XI - October 2016 ?

It took two years to go from 6 to 7 and the same again to go from 7 to 10. We've been on 10 for what, 5 years now?
( Mind you we've been on OSX for 14 years or something and it seems to be Apples favourite number, something they seem very attached to )
I think It would do the brand good to shake off the X stigma that still reverberates through the industry from the botched FCPX launch to this very day.

........I must say I totally agree. They should shake off the X stigma....Hopefully this long wait means something good in the pipeline..

Question: Has anyone ever applied for a job to the Apple FCPX team?

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 Sep 2016 16:15 #79789

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
I doubt it, no video on the FCPX website!

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 Sep 2016 17:35 #79792

• Schwyhart
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8

waternyc wrote:

Steve McGarrigle wrote: Question: Has anyone ever applied for a job to the Apple FCPX team?

FCPX jobs at Apple

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 09 Sep 2016 22:20 #79797

• Steve McGarrigle
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I never said "Question: Has anyone ever applied for a job to the Apple FCPX team?" How did that get to be my quote?!!