fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!

TOPIC: Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 08:46 #77975

• Wardos
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Adobe released its updates this morning. Apple to follow?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Wardos.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 10:21 #77976

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
The FCP X update will come when it's ready, and nothing Adobe or any other company does will have any influence in this.

- Ronny

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 10:23 #77977

• robertdee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I do have a question that others might be able to answer. Is this the first post-Randy update? I'm curious to see what the effect of his leaving might have on the app, if any.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 10:28 #77978

• Wardos
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I can recall that Apple released the 10.0 version because they were feeling the heat from Adobe and their Mercury engine. I think I heard it on Richard Taylor's podcast. Also it is pretty cruel from adobe to release their update on the birthday of Fcpx. So I hope Apple can answer back with an awesome update! :)

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 10:38 #77979

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
I can recall that Apple released the 10.0 version because they were feeling the heat from Adobe and their Mercury engine. I think I heard it on Richard Taylor's podcast.

Yes they did, and unfortunately at that time they had very little choice. It was also the biggest marketing mistake they ever made and I'm sure they are never going to do such a thing again. But things have changed a lot since then. If Apple pushes an update today or tomorrow or 4 months from now, this will have nothing to do with anything that any other company does.

- Ronny

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 10:56 #77980

• davechap
  • davechap's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • I'm like a 900 page Harry Potter novel.
  • Thank you received: 19
We could see an update today. But if we don't, here's what I can infer from all other releases so far:

The next update will either be this month (June) or next month (July).

How can I say that? Every update since FCPX was released has never taken 6 months. The longest was between 10.1.1 and 10.1.2 which saw 5 months and 11 days between updates. The second longest we just had which was 5 months to the day (9/4/2015 to 2/4/2016).

If you take that as a pattern, we are past the 4 month mark from 10.2.4 (2/4/2016). So anytime between now and July 12 we should see the next update. Unless they make history again with the longest timeframe between updates ever.

Last edit: by davechap.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 11:29 #77981

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 245
This time last year I was preparing for the first FCPX Creative Summit .

This is organised by Future Media Concepts in such a way as to allow the ProApps team to be involved. Last year the summit included a presentation in the nondescript building where the ProApps team works. That meant that attendees could meet and mingle with the designers and developers of Final Cut.

As soon as FMC decided to have another summit this year, I would be very surprised if they didn't get in touch with Apple about scheduling. “We'd like to do another summit neat year - hopefully in Cupertino. If you would like to be involved again, do you think having it the same time of the year would be good? The last week of June next year will be the 5th anniversary of Final Cut.” ”We suggest late October.” “Excellent. Late October it is.”

The good news is that the session on the Apple campus is more than just a presentation…

@Alex4D
(Checking the Mac App Store later today!)

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 11:34 #77982

• davechap
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Which day of the week? If my math is correct, I'd place bets on a Tuesday or Thursday.

Breakdown of releases on days of the week:

Monday - 2
Tuesday - 8
Wednesday - 1
Thursday - 6
Friday -2

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 11:56 #77983

• davechap
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Based on what Alex is saying, we may not see 10.3 until October.

I'm hoping that's not the case. If it is, we will see a 10.2.4 update before then. Or, we will see 10.3 between now and mid-July and then 10.3.1 in October with enhancements for the MacBook Pro, Mac Pro or both.

Last edit: by davechap.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 12:03 #77984

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 245
When I saw 10.2.3 I got the impression it might be a version for those who have good reasons not to update to the next version of OS X (now known as macOS Sierra). Apple has been great about letting Final Cut work with older OSes. The price of cool new features might be that 10.3 will only work on Sierra.

Last edit: by alex4D.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 12:06 #77985

• davechap
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Haha Alex! We both got number confusion on our latest posts.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 12:29 #77986

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
I have 10.2.3 just checked the US app store, nothing new to report... I had a quick read of the Adobe updates, nothing really all that mind-blowing, some VR stuff, I guess pandering to the masses.

The one thing I love about FCPX is the huge plug in community, how open Apple is in this regard, and basically how barren the apps are in regards Adobe, it seems Adobe is too scared to open up to the same level as Apple, and really on it's 5th birthday, this is something to celebrate, the openness of FCPX to developers, and to folks like Alex4D, to use their knowledge to make our lives as editors better, through the creation of plug in's, templates.

I thank all FCPX developers for being so creative and yes they should be paid, and I really really hope Apple carry on being so open, to folks to create more plug ins/templates. The editing would be the poorer if Apple took this away!!

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 15:17 #77994

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 666

alex4D wrote: … That meant that attendees could meet and mingle with the designers and developers of Final Cut.…

How many designers&developers?

I'm still keen on the numbers of people directly invoved in FCPX ... my pure speculation: suprisingly few.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 15:28 #77995

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 666

robertdee wrote: …Is this the first post-Randy update? I'm curious to see what the effect of his leaving might have on the app, if any.

Randy announced his absence 23.April 2015 (!).
Invalid consumer key/secret in configuration

since then three updates…

There is this famous rumor about a 10 years masterplan ... but, for example, who can know the video-formats within 10 years? 5 years ago, 3D was the next big thing, actually VR is... Plus, who can know the development of macOS, in which FCPX is highly integrated, in the near future? Not to speak of hardware, computer/cameras?

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 15:51 #77998

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
Just to clarify, the 10 year development road map was publicly stated by an Apple rep in a printed interview published online, it wasn't a rumor. I had a link to it for a long time, but I don't know where it is now. It was stated that FCPX would developed in its present form over a 10 year road map, then in 10 years, they'd re-evaluate the industry and see what the next step would be. Watching where the puck will be, not where it is.

Last edit: by BenB.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 16:10 #77999

• davechap
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Randy was definitely an inspiration. Not because he had some great idea, but he lived and breathed the applications and knew what pain points he had. He could then work and create something that solved issues that he saw.

I don't know who the next Randy Ubillos is. Does Apple even have one? Does Adobe? You have to be so plugged into your work and be able to pull back and ask tough questions. Not everyone is like that. Some people look to customers to find low-hanging fruit or crowd-source feedback to see what the roadmap should be. Even people here are wondering about VR because they see it as something everyone else is adding.

Only Apple knows the 10-year plan. Maybe it's detailed, maybe it's not. I've left companies before with a long roadmap, but it's up to that company to continue it now that I'm gone. Not everyone sees it the same way.

I think we have a lot to look forward to in the FCPX roadmap. If Notes is getting collaboration in iOS 10 and macOS 10.12, it won't be long before we expect FCPX to get this. Reimagined audio editing could be another. I don't see Adobe or Blackmagic doing anything that I wish FCPX could do. In fact, most of Premiere's features just seem like catch-up work to meet FCPX.

Just my thoughts.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 21 Jun 2016 16:19 #78000

• robertdee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I ask about Randy out of curiosity :-) I expect Apple to continue the trajectory he started but, agreed, you need a strong visionary leading the ship. I'm locked in with FCPX for as long as it continues. It's a joy to use in comparison to other editing software. I also use Adobe apps (illustrator, photoshop and after effects) daily for motion graphics, etc. but Premiere is a dinosaur IMO.

Looking forward to the new version, whenever it may surface.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 22 Jun 2016 01:12 #78010

• Steve McGarrigle
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I'm idly speculating that the next update will follow the release of Sierra sometime in the fall and it may be FCP XI (11) and not FCPX at all. After all, there were only a couple of years between FCP 6 and 7 why should X be so important as to be permanently attached to the end of 'FCP' forever more? Ten is just another number and it's been around for 5 years now. That's a long time in FCP version history.
FCP 5.1 - March 2006.
FCP 6 - April 2007.
FCP 7 - July 2009.
FCP X - June 2011
FCP XI - September 2016 ?
Maybe the X or any other prominent version numbering of the application will be dropped altogether in line with the X being dropped from OSX in favour of Mac OS.

Anyway, just speculation for a bit of fun and happy to be proved wrong Apple! :whistle:

Last edit: by Steve McGarrigle.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 22 Jun 2016 02:04 #78011

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
macOS is version 10.12, not 11.0.
Why not FCPX versions through 10.12?
Means we have a LLLLOOOONNNNGGGG way to go with version numbers...

I'm not holding my breath. October would be as good a bet as any.

Horse race, no one knows who is running, or what the stats are, but we're all placing bets regardless.

Still fun to speculate.

Long as it washes my dogs and my car weekly, I'm down with it.

Last edit: by BenB.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3 22 Jun 2016 07:07 #78018

• Steve McGarrigle
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9

BenB wrote: macOS is version 10.12, not 11.0.
Why not FCPX versions through 10.12?
Means we have a LLLLOOOONNNNGGGG way to go with version numbers...

I'm not holding my breath. October would be as good a bet as any.

Horse race, no one knows who is running, or what the stats are, but we're all placing bets regardless.

Still fun to speculate.

Long as it washes my dogs and my car weekly, I'm down with it.

Hey Ben, I don't think i mentioned anything about MacOS being anything other than version 12 but we have had OSX for a looong time. ( I remember that first time around 2002?, nervously switching from OS9.2 to OSX on my brand new dual boot PowerMac G4 Quicksilver and being amazed at the Aqua interface and big glossy icons. It all looked so pretty and user-friendly it didn't feel like a 'proper' computer. I think this same UI friendliness is what makes some non-users assume that FCP isn't professional. ) My post was speculating about the possible end of FCP10 (X) and the birth of FCP (XI) or the retirement of having a number at the end of FCP completely. It would, I think be good for the brand as FCPX has unfortunately gained some negative connotations after it's 'difficult' birth. I know it will probably be 10.2.4 or 10.3.0 but 'dare to dream' as they say. :)

Last edit: by Steve McGarrigle.