fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A weeks worth of work and my proxies are gone!

A weeks worth of work and my proxies are gone! 07 Apr 2016 18:15 #75041

• obardain
  • obardain's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys,

I was on here a year ago with a proxy disaster and am now back with another proxy disaster but this time with another problem too. Be grateful for any advice. So the problem is that an entire hour long project I was working on has lost the link to the proxy media. The second big problem is that somehow the project I was working on has 'forgotten' everything I've done to it this week and reverted back to an old cut from last week. As have the backups! Even though I opened and closed the library every day this week with it giving me a saved and up-to-date version.

So this is what I did, that has somehow caused this catastrophe. I have been working off proxies and today wanted to export a high res version of my project. I hooked up all the drives with the full res files. A small amount of media was offline as I had done some media management with a small amount of the original media. I relinked the offline files, exported no problem. Then later today I went to go back into my project and discovered that the cut was from last week. All proxies still online. I went back to a restore and tried to copy a backup of the project into the sequence. Now I discover all the proxies for that project are gone. And not only that all my backups are from last week too. Ahh!!

Any help greatly appreciated. I just can't work out what happened to my project or my proxies!

Thanks

Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A weeks worth of work and my proxies are gone! 07 Apr 2016 18:33 #75042

• obardain
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Okay, I've been an idiot and just worked out one half of my problem. I duplicated my project when trying to to a backup and chuck my old cut into an old cuts event except I chucked my new cut into the old events rather my new cut! Problem 1 solved. If I'd worked that out before I tried to restore I wouldn't have blown away my link to my proxies.

So that still leaves me with an entire projects worth of proxies missing. The proxies are there but the link is gone. Someone suggested on here once upon a time the way to solve this was to right click a clip and click transcode and that would restore the link but I don't have that option as it's greyed out. Does anyone know if FCPX sorted this or is it a case of retranscode all of it?

Thanks!

Pete

A weeks worth of work and my proxies are gone! 08 Apr 2016 08:52 #75053

• Gabba84
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
As far as I know if you copy a project from a library to another, fcpx asks if you want to bring proxies or optimized media. When you copy pieces of projects to a project located in another library fcpx warns you that you are "editing between libraries". But, again, it still move proxies from a library to the other (even if there isn't a dedicated check box).

But, when you restore a library from a backup all media will lose connection with proxies! The only way to restore those connection is to copy a project (drag and drop) from the backup library to the original. All the media will be relinked (including proxies). Now, you can continue working on the original library and delete the newly generated back-up library.

Last edit: by Gabba84.

A weeks worth of work and my proxies are gone! 08 Apr 2016 13:44 #75056

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
Totally agree, excellent advice!

- Ronny

A weeks worth of work and my proxies are gone! 11 Apr 2016 09:42 #75178

• obardain
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks very much for the reply. I've tried to digest that but I'm still confused. The FCPX help menu is useless as it only tells you how to restore a library and not a project. In fact, it doesn't tell you how to restore a library either. It tells you how to open a backup but offers no steps beyond that. I don't really understand what the steps are for restoring a library or a project.

Also, the steps you suggested is what I did. I opened the backup, copied the project to my old library and that was the step that blew away my link to the proxies.

It seems really odd that Apple don't give you a restoration guide. I store my proxies inside my FCPX library so opening a backup means there are no proxies inside it and they don't tell you what you're supposed to do to rectify this. Seems very odd.

Thanks again!

Pete

A weeks worth of work and my proxies are gone! 11 Apr 2016 09:52 #75179

• Gabba84
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Question: when you open the original library is everything ok? Proxies are in place? Inside your library bundle package (right click + show package content) there are all the proxy files in their folder/s?
If the answer is yes then if you open a backup version and drag a project it will reconnect to the original files (including proxy files). In my experience this always works

Last edit: by Gabba84.

A weeks worth of work and my proxies are gone! 11 Apr 2016 10:05 #75180

• obardain
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, all the proxies were in place in the original project. Could the problem be that I didn't drag the project from the backup to the old library? I selected copy to library, which I assumed did the same thing.

Thanks!

A weeks worth of work and my proxies are gone! 11 Apr 2016 10:07 #75181

• Gabba84
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Well, I don't know. I always drag'n'drop... :) give it a try....

A weeks worth of work and my proxies are gone! 11 Apr 2016 10:08 #75182

• obardain
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Cool thanks. Will do. I'll report back when I do. I'm just transcoding a bunch of stuff at moment.

A weeks worth of work and my proxies are gone! 11 Apr 2016 11:38 #75185

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1279
The "backup" is only the database, not any media. Simply regenerate proxies, existing ones get relinked, missing ones get recreated. "Restore" is from a backup, not a "repair" of the existing library.

A weeks worth of work and my proxies are gone! 12 Apr 2016 16:33 #75233

• obardain
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks. How do they get relinked if the proxies are in the old library and not in the backup?

Thanks.

A weeks worth of work and my proxies are gone! 13 Apr 2016 12:32 #75301

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1279
How did you create your backup library? If they're not there, regenerate them.

A weeks worth of work and my proxies are gone! 13 Apr 2016 12:57 #75306

• obardain
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
The backup library is in the default location: Documents on Macintosh HD so it auto creates the backup. The proxies take about a week and a half to two weeks to generate for the library as it's such a big project so it's never a viable option to regenerate proxies unfortunately.

Thanks.

• Page: