TOPIC: Compressor & interlacing

Compressor & interlacing 06 Apr 2016 22:26 #75010

• martinresi
  • martinresi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I upload my 1080p vids to Vimeo.com in HD. I output to Compressor, and tried to match the settings to Vimeo's suggestions best I could. But after uploading I get the message, "Your video could be even more awesome if you follow blah blah blah, " and when I click on the advice it says it says the video is interlaced and would be better it if weren't.

Is there a setting in compressor that I'm missing? I think my fcpro x settings are good. I click on the project, press info and see 1080p.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Todd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Compressor & interlacing 06 Apr 2016 22:34 #75011

• martinresi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I think I just answered my own question. The footage is coming from a go pro Hero 4 at 1080. I'm guessing my source is interlaced? So now my question is, am I already getting the most out of my footage with this workflow?

Compressor & interlacing 06 Apr 2016 23:40 #75012

• Pielle
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
Hi! Martinesi all my work that you can see on the site were loaded on Vimeo. I simply export my animations directly in mov format (H.264 1920 x 1080 24fps) and even though that phrase also appears to me they appear quite well in streaming.
Remember That vimeo, encoding back movies according to its parameters and this without asking permission.You can compare your original with a copy downloaded from the website and judge whether the degradation is still on acceptable terms.
Hope this can help Pielle

Compressor & interlacing 06 Apr 2016 23:47 #75014

• haysoos123
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
I would check your project settings for your timeline. It's possible that you have it set to something interlaced, so that when you exported it, you got an interlaced movie. As far as I know, the GoPro only shoots progressive. In FCPX, select a clip, then go into the inspector window into the "info" tab, and in the drop-down, choose "settings". Make sure it's set to progressive just to be sure. But even if you put an interlaced clip into a progressive timeline, it would be marked as a progressive timeline regardless.

Compressor & interlacing 07 Apr 2016 00:23 #75016

• martinresi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you both for your advice!

Yes, each individual clip is labeled as progressive. I also see a deinterlace checkbox, and it is NOT checked. I think this part is right

Should I even be using compressor???? Maybe I will try just outputting MOV file H.264 and compare. Pielle, what do you use as your FCPX output settings? File > share > Master File? Vimeo? Apple Devices?

Thanks!

Compressor & interlacing 07 Apr 2016 02:05 #75017

• Norbz
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Try simply Command+E on your movie, and in settings tab choose h.264. If it's a short clip I would actually just export a ProRes422 as I've found both vimeo and youtube like bigger files and downsample 6+ versions from your source (some might say this is overkill, and on longer movies yes it is and might cause load issues when switched to HD however I've uploaded a few 422 now and haven't had this issue).

Attachments:

Last edit: by Norbz.

Compressor & interlacing 09 Apr 2016 13:10 #75103

• Russ Haskell
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
I also suggest that you check your project properties (Cmd-J). The most likely way that GoPro clips could wind up as interlaced is if the project was set to Custom and interlaced. If you let FCP automatically choose the project settings from the first clip edited to the timeline, you should get a progressive project. Also agree with others who suggest that you just export directly from Final Cut, rather than going through Compressor (although there's nothing wrong with using Compressor for this).

Russ

• Page: