• Page:

TOPIC: Larry Jordon news...

Larry Jordon news... 15 Feb 2016 18:47 #73366

• Jonathan Levin
  • Jonathan Levin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
I hope that this is not a violation of forum rules, but today's Larry Jordon news may be one of his last. I think he's taking at least a small break.

I guess the cost to run his new studio was getting to be to much, and he's kinda just tired and needs something new.

I've always enjoyed his webnars. And he is fantastic in front of a live camera, and this especially shows when there is some sort of tech glitch. He just sails right through it. A true professional!!!!

I wish I was able to afford signing up for at least a few of his online courses, but with the cost of running my own show, well, we all have a story.

Either way, I learned an awful lot from just the bits and pieces that appear on YouTube and elsewhere. Along with this forum, good advice for FCP X was always around somewhere and Larry's was top notch! I wish him all the best, a good rest, and something that will make him reappear for those of us who will miss him!

Jonathan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Larry Jordon news... 15 Feb 2016 19:05 #73367

• Living Smart TV
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • TV-vært, blogger, fotograf, forfatter - tjek www.livingsmarttv.dk Sprællemand :)
  • Thank you received: 0
Link?

Larry Jordon news... 15 Feb 2016 19:19 #73368

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I don'thave alink. This was in his weekly newsletter this AM. Maybe someone here has the newsletter they can link to

Larry Jordon news... 15 Feb 2016 19:28 #73369

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
This is odd. There was a link in the newsletter to his blog. When I go to the blog, the entry is not there!!! I'm hoping this is some sort of cruel hoax.

Larry Jordon news... 15 Feb 2016 19:30 #73370

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 331

Larry Jordon news... 15 Feb 2016 21:26 #73376

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
WOW!
I really like Larry and the work he has done. Sad day to think I might not be benefitting from his experiences and knowledge.
I often link to his website and encourage people to view his material.

You will be missed Larry, Thank you!
May you find a new and great adventure that is rewarding in all ways including financially.

Thanks to his team as well!

Peace, Greg

Larry Jordon news... 15 Feb 2016 21:52 #73379

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661
My goodness! Six weeks ago I posted...
www.fcp.co/fcp-forum/2-off-topic/24654-w...-larry-jordan-anyhow

Learned so much from him .... No easy decision for a business, excellent for his personal life! ....

Larry Jordon news... 16 Feb 2016 15:52 #73401

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1279
When I made my career change from IT project manager and trainer, doing media production on the side, to doing media production professionally full-time, Larry had just gotten up and running with his training business. Helped me get started. Also, some mentions on the DPBuzz helped give my local FCPUG a very strong start (lasted 8 years, then FCPX was released). I even organized a two day training by Larry here in New Orleans way back when. He inspired me to continue being a trainer when I got my ACT cert with FCP 4. He was always very supportive and helpful. I even helped edit some audio at NAB one year for his podcast show he does there every year.

From FCP4.5 through FCP 7, I flew non-stop to AACTs, broadcast and network stations, universities, large corporations, teaching FCP classroom trainings. The latter days of FCP 7 saw classroom training seriously start to drop off. Apple began pulling back on training resources. When FCPX hit, classroom, and professionally produced online trainings, had begun to really stagnate. FCPX didn't cause it, but it didn't help it either. Apple training runs on a bare minimum for the pro apps now, and there's not even a Motion curriculum. Many of the AATCs I taught regularly for back in the day, are now closed down. Back in the day, broadcasters, networks, universities, big corporate houses, they'd spend tons of money and send whole teams of professional editors to classroom trainings. Today, those folks are a drop in the bucket of the overall market, and they don't spend that sort of money any longer.

Today, it's all amateur, misinformed YouTube rubbish. Oh, did my prejudice show itself a little? As a long time trainer, like Larry and others, the training business is very different, and I've even been shifting my businesses and strategies the past couple of years. I don't fly anywhere to do classroom trainings anymore. Well, I do, but it is rare. Once or twice a year. Even a somewhat lucrative online training gig I had with a company I won't name, that started to dry up and get way too restricted. That's the training field, it ain't what it used to be. And those online tutorials take a lot of time, work, and investment to produce at such a professional level. At least at Ripple, there are two of them producing, plus the guest producers they use. Yep, times are changing, the industry is in flux.

All my best to Larry and his staff, they are good people, and some are dear friends. Larry, ya did good, man. Ya did really good. Can't wait to see what you do next!

Last edit: by BenB.

Larry Jordon news... 16 Feb 2016 17:23 #73414

• Russ Haskell
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Not that I know about the training profession, but from being on various forums and working with younger people what Ben said seems about right. FCP X was clearly designed to appeal to a broad cross section of users – including a huge number who have zero tolerance for structured learning. In that context, the non curated universe of videos on YT is seen as a viable (perhaps even preferable, price aside, for style) competitor to professional tutorials.

Hopefully Larry and members of his team will land on their feet in new and better situations.

Russ

Larry Jordon news... 16 Feb 2016 17:28 #73417

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow. BenB I had no idea that the field of training was so challenging.

And yes, in my first post I forgot to wish all that work with LJ the best for the future.

Feeling a bit blue....

Jonathan

Larry Jordon news... 16 Feb 2016 17:38 #73421

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661

Russ Haskell wrote: … a huge number who have zero tolerance for structured learning. …

LOL, excellent phrased! :lol:

The Instagrammization of movie/picture/audio making.

All those requests "with which plug-in do I accomplish tis&tat...." are an indication for a complete lack of understanding of underlying concepts, even the most basic ones (not so long ago, all those requests how to get a title 'behind' something in a video - by masking, you &%$/§!!)

… in that light:
smart move from rippletraining with their "In Under 5 Minutes" recipies.... (the regular stuff is mostly "In Under 10 Minutes" ;) )

But, again: Generates no income. Just popularity, and maybe sometimes, someone who invests 20$.... needs tons of sure instinct, where the benchmark is… 9.99? 50$? 120? (almost half of the app itself!)

• Page: