fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can't import Canon C300 Mark ii 10 bit footage into FCPX

Can't import Canon C300 Mark ii 10 bit footage into FCPX 14 Jan 2016 13:00 #72193

• BJansch
  • BJansch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm trying to import footage shot at 1080P 10bit YR422 but the files are all greyed out in the import window. I know other people have been able to edit the 10bit footage from this camera so I wonder what I'm doing wrong? I'm using OS X El Capitan with version 10.2.2 of FCPX.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can't import Canon C300 Mark ii 10 bit footage into FCPX 14 Jan 2016 17:27 #72197

• tcwdoggy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm having the same problem. There seems no driver or plugin available for C300 Mark II yet.

My other editor off location was able to import the 10bit rushes but they come out as having .mxf extension while the C300 ones ingested as .mov extension.

She has no success importing 12bit rushes.

I tried using Resolve 12 and it was able to read the 12bit rushes, so can use Resolve to batch export to Prores.

I am still searching for a solution to "rewrap" the mxf to mov instead of converting it to prores. Tried trial version of Editready, it came out once successfully but now all I get are black pictures that can only be played with pictures if I used VLC.

The experiment continues.

Can't import Canon C300 Mark ii 10 bit footage into FCPX 14 Jan 2016 21:55 #72203

• rgpearson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hmm it works for me and I have the same software/OS version. I didn't have to install any extra software. Maybe try dragging in the MXF files directly from Finder?

Are you sure the files are 422? I heard that the Mk II 4444 files don't work in FCPX but I don't have any footage to test.

Can't import Canon C300 Mark ii 10 bit footage into FCPX 14 Jan 2016 22:30 #72204

• BJansch
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Definitely 422 10bit because I shot 12 bit 444 previously and was hoping to avoid the whole transcoding process this time. So frustrating, not sure what to try now. You didn't download any additional MXF or XF-AVC plugins? Update the Pro Video Format plugin from Apple? I mean I did that already anyway so that wouldn't help but I just can't think what else it could be.

Did you import via the import window or simply drag and drop into your event? Are you also using the latest versions of OS X and FCPX?

Can't import Canon C300 Mark ii 10 bit footage into FCPX 14 Jan 2016 22:44 #72205

• rgpearson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
OSX 10.11.2 and FCPX 10.2.2, all the latest Apple Pro Video stuff yes.

I can drag directly from Finder OR use Import window, though it doesn't recognize the card structure like other cameras, you have to manually twirl down into CONTENTS > CLIPS001 and select the mxf files (which are not greyed out).

In the FCPX browser it reports the codec as "XAVC Intra 2K/4K"... so maybe it has something to do with a Sony codec/plugin I downloaded in the past? That's my best guess.

Can't import Canon C300 Mark ii 10 bit footage into FCPX 15 Jan 2016 10:37 #72211

• BJansch
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
It's just so annoying. I can view and import C300 footage, so the MXF plugin works, and I can import stuff shot on my Sony A7Sii or F55, so the XAVC plugin is working. I can view and backup the C300Mii footage using XF Utility but it's just not visible in FCPX... frickin weird.

Can't import Canon C300 Mark ii 10 bit footage into FCPX 15 Jan 2016 20:37 #72241

• haysoos123
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
Hey guys, the FCPX XF plugin does not officially support the C300 Mk 2 yet. Since FCPX does support MXF, you can manually drag in the 422 stuff, but you won't get clip spanning support and probably proper metadata. It has, of course, supported regular C300 for a long time, which is why that will work and the Mk 2 doesn't. If you check the support and download section of Canon's site for the C300 Mk 2 , you will see this.

Can't import Canon C300 Mark ii 10 bit footage into FCPX 16 Jan 2016 15:03 #72272

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 195
FYI Here is Apple's latest official list of supported cameras
support.apple.com/en-us/HT204203
Changes all the time

Hope this helps, Greg

Can't import Canon C300 Mark ii 10 bit footage into FCPX 17 Jan 2016 20:46 #72306

• BJansch
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Glad to see someone at least is suffering along with me on this one :-)

I use a 2013 Mac Pro, but I tried the Cfast card on my iMac too and nothing is importable, so it's a mystery to me why some can do it and others can't. I have all the MXF plugins for the original C300 but they are no help.

We're due a mega update to FCPX so I'm hoping it comes v soon.

I'm interested to see if your rewrap method works!

Last edit: by BJansch. Reason: factual error
  • Page: