• Page:

TOPIC: MTS directly to FCPX

MTS directly to FCPX 31 Dec 2015 06:52 #71843

• jeff.reetz
  • jeff.reetz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I received video clips all in MTS. They are youth football videos. I want to bring them into FCPX and edit the 30 min for each game of video down to about 3-5 minutes for each game for highlights. Then maybe consolidate these to another location to create a season of highlights for the 11 games. This way I can save on disk space and delete the original 30 min of game footage just having the 3-5 min of highlights I may use. I don't want to lose any image quality.
What is the best way to do this? Import the MTS with out any optimizing, so I can have the shorter versions in the original native camera format. Or should I be doing something different?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

MTS directly to FCPX 02 Jan 2016 21:28 #71891

• mobiletaylor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Jeff,

Not sure about shortening clips. Except to export the edited highlights from FCPX as prorez files.

However, just wanted to mention that my Mac has problems with mts files if I import a lot of them. Really nice app called ClipWrap fixes all that. The app wraps the files in an mov container. Really fast to do that. Then I import those files and my machine is much happier!

JT

MTS directly to FCPX 04 Jan 2016 20:48 #71932

• Earl Grey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I have been converting my mts files to movs in wondershare which is a bit tedious, curious to know if there is a better/faster way!

MTS directly to FCPX 05 Jan 2016 01:37 #71941

• jeff.reetz
  • jeff.reetz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Taylor, I'll check out ClipWrap. It imported the .mts files ok (I heard it will rap them as .mov as well). Just took a little longer. But ClipWrap sounds interesting.

thanks again,
Jeff

MTS directly to FCPX 06 Jan 2016 00:30 #71983

• haysoos123
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
Most likely you will just be able to import normally, but be aware that there are lots of different kinds of MTS flavors out there, and it really depends on the codec used ( some kind of AVCHD is the most common for prosumer cameras).

But what it sounds like you want to do is consolidate by trimming to make new master clips from long 30 minute clips. Unfortunately, FCPX can't do this automatically (yet). There are a few options, though:

1) Cut your selected clips into a timeline, then export that timeline. What mobiletaylor said above, and I would also use ProRes outputs. These become your new clips. Sounds like keeping the original source timecode isn't important to you, so this is an easy option.

2) Export an XML of your selects timeline, and import that into Da Vinci Resolve. Export that timeline from Da Vinci Resolve, which gives you the option of exporting each select as its own clip, with handles. It's like consolidating with handles. This preserves source timecode, and gives you a separate clip for each select.

3) Use something like www.clipexporter.com/
I would try out the demo and see if it will do what you need.

MTS directly to FCPX 06 Jan 2016 15:24 #71994

• ButchM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I can relate to your dilemma very well. I shoot as many as 6-8 assignments per day for a chain of four newspapers for online use. Trying to utilize a myriad collection of individual .mts files between all the locations, editors and shared archive can be a nightmare.

While it is recommended that ideally, you should work from the camera archive ... we have implemented a workflow that begins with using ClipWrap to re-wrap the .mts files to .mov at the very beginning of the process.

This method allows us to move share and distribute the individual clips wherever they may go without issue.

I can also relate to the problems with paring down footage from sports coverage. I shoot 3-4 American football games a week in the fall ... and as many as 3-4 soccer (football everywhere else on the planet) per week and at least 2 volleyball games a cross country race or two, etc. etc.

The problem with sports is you always end up with an excessive amount of footage that is not all that compelling or worthy of retention. Not to mention, far too much to sift through on deadline. This is where judicious shooting and a solid workflow based upon speed comes in handy. Routinely for football, I start recording as they break from the huddle and approach their formation and then stop a full 2-count at the end of the play so I have a good handle at the end ... even with this, I get 130-150 individual clips from covering a full game. That's a lot of sifting. On key plays where it's something I know I'll use for sure, I take a quick clip of the turf or something mundane so when I am sorting through the clips, I know the previous clip is worthy of consideration and retention to the archive.

My workflow is a far cry from what I see recommended elsewhere, but I am not working in Hollywood on a feature film and my foundation is from over 40 years as a full time photojournalist ... I know how to cull and process/edit on deadline.

Once I convert the clips to .mov, I then import the clips into Lightroom then proceed to skim through them adding star ratings, keywords and color labels and then rename the clips to our established naming convention ... now the stars and labels mean nothing to FCP X because they do not carry over, but I can use that metadata to create filters to move groups of clips into sub folders that FCP X can use as keywords.

I then delete any unwanted clips as part of house cleaning. Yes, I know storage is cheap ... but useless cruft only clutters up a library and causes problems down the road when trying to maintain a video archive that numbers clips in hundreds of thousands and dozens of TB.

While our workflow may go against the grain, it closely matches what we have been doing with stills for decades and is software independent as we can write scripts to carry over the metadata from one solution to another ... as in when we had to move from Aperture to Lightroom ... and our method is NLE independent as some of the editors that create our video reports are using a variety of options including Premier and others.

If you take a look at ClipWrap ... don't forget to also look at EditReady ... it has all the goodness of ClipWrap but also works with MXF and M2T files ... and can even apply a LUT in the process of conversion. It's made by the same developer.

MTS directly to FCPX 07 Jan 2016 01:58 #71999

• mobiletaylor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
ButchM,

So does EditReady actually transcode the files? The thing I like about ClipWrap is that it just wraps the clips - it is incredibly fast! I assume EditReady is slower because it transcodes? Is that correct?

JT

MTS directly to FCPX 07 Jan 2016 10:48 #72004

• ButchM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

mobiletaylor wrote: ButchM,

So does EditReady actually transcode the files? The thing I like about ClipWrap is that it just wraps the clips - it is incredibly fast! I assume EditReady is slower because it transcodes? Is that correct?

JT

Not sure about that ... we are considering it because it can work with more file types like H.265, XAVC, MP4, etc. We are planning a trial project for sometime later this quarter to see if we may want to implement it in our workflow.

Indeed ClipWrap is very quick at re-wrapping AVCHD/MTS ... but EditReady seems to be very quick at transcoding as well ... they have a comparison chart on their site as well as a download for a free trial. I was merely pointing out Edit Ready as another possible option. YMMV

http://www.divergentmedia.com/editready

• Page: