Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX And El Capitan

FCPX And El Capitan 30 Oct 2015 16:27 #70031

• sasamedovarski
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Few minutes ago, I updated nvidia driver 346.03.03f02 and some issues in FCPX (yellow shape over transition and line over timecode) and "compressor" (yellow preview window) finaly gone. Unfortunately "motion" doesn‘t work smooth unlike on yosemite 10.10.5. :blush:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FCPX And El Capitan 30 Oct 2015 17:00 #70032

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
In my brief experience wit El Capitan, RX4 seemed to be the only thing not working. And the only major thing (that's been of cencern to me at least) has been the AU Validation. But El Cap introduces a whole new version of Audio Units (v3). AU v2 should be able to coexist with the new ones, but a brand new version of the Audio Units probably explains why there's some initial bugs...

VidGreg 30 Oct 2015 17:25 #70034

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
As far as yearly upgrades, and bug fixes…
Remember Apple is a consumer driven company, if they don't release the latest and greatest, we would all be using 128k mono color 10" Macs and Apple would not have cleared $85B / $11B profit in the last quarter. :P

While we tend to be focussed on FCPX and video, the OS is for all computing needs and since Apple is really an ecosystem, then it also includes iOS and now WatchOS interactions.

What we don't see unless we look, is all the changes to the underlying frameworks, optimizations, APIs and everything else that goes into every OS change. Also how will Apple incorporate the feature requests we all want.
I for one am excited about some of the possibilities that I think we will see in the near future. I base this on watching some of the WWDC presentation videos and seeing the changes in places like Swift. Remember, FCPX10.3 is not out yet, so any improvements to 10.2.x are just a extra benefit to EC. I am slightly surprised that 10.2.3 hasn't happened to accommodate advancements in hardware like "Force Touch". Maybe the delay is because 10.3 is near. :unsure:
A new library structure is coming. I really doubt the 10.3 will run on Yosemite. Is 10.2.2 the last Yosemite version?

Ronny's advice is valid, wait if you need to. No one is forcing you to update. Okay, if you buy a new computer, then you most likely will get the latest OS. Ronny are you sure you can downgrade? Apple in the past has blacklisted older OSs in newer hardware, especially when chips have changed, like Skylake. Now with SIP, users are prevented from easily changing system files. Just curious. I agree most will not want to downgrade, and little need to do so.

I think we may also see a new MP early next year. New chips and standards are mostly in place for upgraded equipment. Might be waiting for DP1.4 for 8K displays or TB3 . Just guessing. I was surprised to see the new iMac not include USB C ports. I bet legacy ThunderBolt ports are going bye-bye. Intell has said TB3 will be USB C only.

Just out of curiosity, why do people think the timecode display is related to the San Francisco font? Has anyone tried to change the system font to see if the issue goes away?

Happy Editing everyone
Hope this helps, Greg

VidGreg 30 Oct 2015 17:43 #70037

• Schwyhart
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Just tried to change the system fonts with TinkerTool...no luck.

Also, I do agree to never upgrade during production. I'm not currently in production right now and I was told it was fixed with 10.11.1; however it must have only fixed some, not all.
Typically, I don't participate in the beta's because I need both my computers to function without the worry of probable beta crashes, so I can't tell if everything is good or not until I take the plunge.
Yeah, I could go back to Yosemite, but what a pain. The older I get the less I like upgrading to the "latest and greatest" because it more often than not is not greater.

FCPX And El Capitan 30 Oct 2015 17:43 #70038

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 733
Really? You've got to be kidding me. FCP should rush out a fix for a purely cosmetic problem that has no effect on the application performance at all? Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Who gives a sweet flying f**** that the text is off set.

VidGreg 30 Oct 2015 17:46 #70039

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 331

VidGreg wrote: As far as yearly upgrades, and bug fixes…
Remember Apple is a consumer driven company, if they don't release the latest and greatest, we would all be using 128k mono color 10" Macs and Apple would not have cleared $85B / $11B profit in the last quarter...

There is another possible reason for annual OS releases. It forces the development team to maintain achievable goals and not get bogged down in "flights of fancy". The history of computing software and hardware is full of cases where development projects took on too much and spiraled out of control. "The Mythical Man Month" is a famous book about this syndrome: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month . More recent examples include Microsoft's Cairo: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_(operating_system) and Longhorn.

Well known hardware examples include the IBM Future Systems Project, Data General Fountainhead Processor (discussed in Soul of a New Machine), and more recently Intel's Itanium.

Last edit: by joema.

VidGreg 30 Oct 2015 18:03 #70040

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
Hey Greg,

You can always downgrade. Every time we install a new OS on our production systems, I create a bootable installer for that OS:

support.apple.com/en-au/HT201372

This way, if anything goes wrong with a system and it requires a re-install of the OS, I can always re-install the correct OS for that system even if the App Store forces us to use a newer version that we don't support yet. As a matter of fact I have configured two new systems in the past week. Both came pre-installed with EC. Because I refuse to use EC in production yet, I have wiped the system drives clean and with the bootable installer I have installed Yosemite on them.

The new 5K iMac that I am installing now will remain on El Capitan to become my new test system. Its memory and flash drive are faster than those of the 2013 MacPro and I want to use this machine to fully test the new frameworks of EC. But it may take another few months and/or a significant update to FCP X before I consider EC fit for production.

- Ronny

FCPX And El Capitan 30 Oct 2015 18:09 #70041

• Schwyhart
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Tom Wolsky wrote:

Really? You've got to be kidding me. FCP should rush out a fix for a purely cosmetic problem that has no effect on the application performance at all? Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Who gives a sweet flying f**** that the text is off set.

There's more than just problems with FCPX. But I guess I should say sorry that I care about the quality of releases from Apple and should be like you and not give a sweet flying f****
Great contribution by the way.

Last edit: by Schwyhart.

FCPX And El Capitan 30 Oct 2015 18:27 #70042

• Tom Wolsky
The purpose of a free annual OS update is solely for marketing. It has absolutely nothing to do with application productivity. FCP has shown itself to be on a cycle of updating to a new full point version when it's moving up to a new OS. For machines using FCP for production there is no point in moving forward on the OS until Apple has readied an OS compatible version.

FCPX And El Capitan 30 Oct 2015 18:50 #70044

• Tom Wolsky
So what other Apple software is giving you a problem? Not third party plugins and extensions, but actual Apple software. Got bugs in Logic because of 10.11? What's not working in Safari? Won't ask about Mail, because that's never working. Legacy FCP is still working, slowly and creakily, amazing as that is so many years later. What's broken? Considering they rewrite the core OS every year, what's remarkable is not what's broken but how very little is broken.

FCPX And El Capitan 01 Nov 2015 02:50 #70081

• daviddelreal
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
On a 2013 6 core Mac Pro with dual D500's and getting laggy playback when playing anything more than 3 streams of 4K (using "Better Performance"). I thought I should get more than that according to Apple's website. Anyhow, I think I'll go down to Yosemite to see if it changes anything. I just got this machine so I don't know how it performs on Yosemite yet, hopefully somebody can chime in and give me good news (like it will play back 4 or more streams of 4K without stuttering in Yosemite). Just gave my wife the 5K iMac, I guess I should've kept it and gave her the Mac Pro...

FCPX And El Capitan 01 Nov 2015 04:05 #70083

• BenB
  • BenB's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1279
What hard drive are your Libraries and media on?

FCPX And El Capitan 01 Nov 2015 04:11 #70084

• daviddelreal
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Ben, I tried both an external Thunderbolt SSD RAID and the internal SSD. Same result. Just finished installing Yosemite, gonna give it try in a few minutes.

FCPX And El Capitan 01 Nov 2015 04:24 #70085

• daviddelreal
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Wow, what a difference. 6 streams of 4K from GH4 playing smooth as butter on FCPX 10.2.2 and Yosemite 10.10.5. Crazy. No lag or stuttering at all, feels like the beast it's supposed to be.

FCPX And El Capitan 01 Nov 2015 07:03 #70087

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
Hi Tom, who gives a @$%^ about off set text? Apple should, this is a symptom of broken windows syndrome, take care of the small things before they grow into a huge issue.

It shows a lack of care by Apple, as if they are not interested in the product, it is not what you do that is important, but what is important is that you are seen doing something, and in this case, Apple are clearly doing nothing to fix the issue.

At worst release a press statement saying "We are aware of the text offset issue, an update is soon to be released", at best release an update, without fanfare, just quietly publish it. No harm, no foul!!!

This thread is nearly 200 posts long, most of them are issues in regards performance issues, something Apple in it's wisdom remains mute on, why remain mute? Why not either say something or do something?

I am concerned that the silence means something huge, that Apple are demoting FCPX to a 3rd tier project, small development budget, staff once working on FCPX, sent to work on other more valuable projects.

This lack of communication plays out in the hardware domain, under-powered devices, the decision to solder in parts, rendering upgrade impossible speaks of an attitude of "We don't care about the consumer...They buy what we think is best" when clearly Apple do not know what is best...

What is more frustrating is your attitude Tom, you should care, clearly this comment about who gives a foxtrot uniform charlie kilo about text offset, demonstrates that you accept and submit, well I don't accept and I won't submit to the whims of Apple, I am forced to submit as i do not have the power to change Apple, if I could I would...

FCPX And El Capitan 01 Nov 2015 07:55 #70088

• Tom Wolsky
Apple is always silent. They live by their own rules. A display glitch in the dashboard is the least of our problems. It'll probably be fixed the next time there's an update, and if it isn't I wouldn't care, as long as they did something else worthwhile.

FCPX And El Capitan 01 Nov 2015 08:02 #70089

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
The time code UI glitch in FCP X on El Capitan has been reported and confirmed by hundreds of people on different forums, even in the early beta stages of the new OS. So everybody knows that when you do upgrade to EC you will have this little glitch in FCP X. When you know this, there are two things you can do:

- You wait with updating the OS until FCP X has been updated as well and the glitch has been fixed. Perfect.

- You update anyway because, like many people, you absolutely don't care about this glitch. Perfect as well.

But updating anyway and still complaining about the UI glitch is a bit ridiculous. You knew this would happen. If it bothers you, you should not have updated at all. Period.

The many contributions to this thread have been very useful in helping people decide wether they should update their OS in this early stage or not. And I would like to thank everyone who has made a contribution to it. But abusing this thread to spit completely uninformed and unfounded criticism, and even personal attacks, is something I don't accept.

Be an early updater and accept the fact that this might have consequences, or wait with updating until all the usual initial bugs have been ironed out. It really couldn't be easier.

- Ronny

FCPX And El Capitan 01 Nov 2015 11:20 #70091

• BenB
  • BenB's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1279
I'm with Ronny completely on this subject. Users have had plenty of warning, and if you update, accept it. Apple hasn't done anything wrong, immoral, or unacceptable. In fact just the opposite. Their bug updates come out faster than any other OS on the market. Good for Apple!

Users knew Apple's business model going in, and accepted it willingly and freely upon the first purchase.

If you don't like Apple products or the way they handle things, don't use their products. A very simple and easy move to make. Go to Windows or some other UNIX flavor. Best of luck with that...

Last edit: by BenB.

FCPX And El Capitan 01 Nov 2015 12:10 #70095

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
Hi Ronny

Mock me, curse me, say what I write is tripe, I have worked in corporate environments for over 20 years, I know how they work. I am that hated kid who asked a great question and was forever hated by his town...

If Apple knew of this error in beta, and it was released, then what does that mean? I am reading between the lines, as Catholics know only too well sins of omission are as bad or worse than sins of commission...

Not publishing any statement or update sends a clear message, maybe you do not want to hear it, and that is fine, I hear the message loud and clear, this is akin to the Pro Video Codec debacle, that dragged on for weeks, until something was done, this update has been out long enough for Apple to have published an update. Why they have not worries me....

I do like FCPX, I don't agree with the decisions to render upgrades nigh impossible, that was a senseless strange decision that really has no merit, it was done to maybe satisfy the owners of Apple Inc, possibly, but technically it was a stinker!!

FCPX And El Capitan 01 Nov 2015 12:21 #70098

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
I am not complaining about the update, I was spared that pain as I don't have enough data to download El Capitain...

I am merely commenting on what I see, my thoughts about the present state of our beloved Apple Inc, you may not like or agree with my views, and that is fine.

I have not told you to go away, leave the platform, give up my business, no I have not, I respond kindly and with good grace. Why is it ok to bash me? Have I abused you here?

This is a thread about FCPX and El Capitan, from the posts previous to me coming in, this is heading into a pr disaster down the line, and then we all just have sit and wait for someone to finally publish updates.

AU units not working, EC has been in beta in one form or another for over a year, and still Apple publish updates that break systems, or render plugins useless... That cannot be a good way to do business...

All I am doing is holding Apple to a very high standard, that once long ago they had, since Steve turned into a farmer, Apple has lost focus, look FCPX has had a terrible painful birth, and maybe they are a bit shy now about mistakes, this debacle now is heading down a path that has the markings of a bad PR joke....

Oh well...I believe I am not wrong, I will not bash or abuse anyone here...