• Page:

TOPIC: FCPX to Premiere

FCPX to Premiere 08 Jul 2015 22:12 #66281

• hepler
  • hepler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
So I keep reading those post that tell people coming to FCPX to forget everything they learned and now I think I will have to do the same. I learned to edit on FCPX and haven't used any other NLE. I feel quite comfortable grading, special effects etc with motion and so on. Now I have joined with a group that only uses Adobe so within the next couple of weeks I need to be up and running on Premiere. Watching all the adobe tutorials, I feel like I am cramming for mid terms back in collage again.
One of the things I like most about FCPX is FCP.com There is a wonderful active community here. I thought at first I could continue to edit in FCPX and XML it over to Premiere but I don't think that is going to work.
Do you know of a good comparable forum that is similar to here? And any other advice is welcomed.
One concern is long term if I leave them and I don't continue the subscription base with Premiere then I won't have access to any of my work, just the outputs.
Not looking forward to it.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FCPX to Premiere 09 Jul 2015 06:31 #66286

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
I wondered what would happen if you stopped paying the rental fee for Adobe. How anyone finds this a logical or clever way of doing business is beyond me, I am all for ownership of a stand alone product, that once I have paid full price is mine and I am not left wondering what if I don't pay.

This question also has me wondering why you have to work in Premiere? What is wrong with editing in FCP X? What is so good about Premiere? To be honest I have not found as many forums dedicated to Adobe as there are for FCP X...

FCPX to Premiere 09 Jul 2015 10:40 #66289

• simonpwood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 42
Adobe have their own boards: just google Adobe Premiere User Group and you'll find some.

Also, dvxuser.com have an NLE section with an active Adobe group on it.

FCPX to Premiere 09 Jul 2015 13:24 #66296

• hepler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
MsJusting,

They use AE a lot and the round trip from Premiere is done well. Motion just doesn't match up to AE in many ways. Also as I do a rough cut they can take that xml and the drive and do any adjustment they need. They all moved away from FC after 7. They looked into FCPX when it first came out but it wasn't ready for that level of work in the beginning and they haven't looked at it since.

FCPX to Premiere 09 Jul 2015 15:07 #66304

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
Motion is more powerful than you give it credit for.
FCPX was there back then, just not recognized properly.

Yes, a good PPro forum is what you need. Just ignore the FCPX comments, as they're mostly made up and plain false.

It sounds much like you've already chosen PPro, though.

Last edit: by BenB.

FCPX to Premiere 09 Jul 2015 18:43 #66324

• Image Samba
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
"Adobe Creative Cloud or Not: The Debate" is a forum on Creative Cow (creativecow.net) that is something of an analogue of the COW's "FCPX or Not: The Debate" forum. Not very active at the moment, but not so long ago was a frothing hotbed of anti-Adobe sentiment. In between the anger and hysteria, the whole issue got a pretty thorough debate.

Bottom line: if you stop the rental, you lose the ability to open your projects. Everything remains local, so you have all your footage, etc. If you need to access the projects again, simply renew the rental by paying the monthly fee. If you're only an occasional user, this may be useful. 3 months on, 6 months off, then a month back on again, etc. If you're a full time user, it works out about the same over the long run as the old perpetual license (buy it once and own it forever).

The level of hate regarding the "rental" model is truly awesome to behold. Those most firmly in the NO camp mostly object on principle. Those most firmly in the YES camp tend to see it a practicality: "I want/need the features, so I'll pay the rental...no big deal."

Since you're going to an Adobe-based company, it's a moot point. I'm not sure the PPro -- AE dynamic linking is as trouble-free and amazing as it's cracked up to be, but it certainly seems to makes sense for as After Effects-based work flow.

As I understand it, there is a very active Adobe community online, so you should have no trouble getting support from fellow users.

All concerned seem to agree that Adobe has made significant improvements to PPro in the last couple of years (it was mostly considered to be a bit of a joke as an editor before that). Apparently a fair number of happy former FCP 7 users have made the switch. But it still has some issues. And it certainly is no FCP X! If you used FCP 7 or Avid, you should be fine. If you only know X, you'll also be fine...you'll just wonder why it all has to be so difficult to use ;-)

To your original question:
FCP X XML ==> FCP 7 (via X to 7 from Philip Hodgetts), then FCP 7 XML ==> Premiere Pro should work reasonably well. Also, FCPX to AE via Clip Exporter is useful. Don't think there's a Motion translation...

FCPX to Premiere 09 Jul 2015 19:29 #66327

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Where are the compiled statistics on who is for and against Adobe's rental model? That's just opinion, not a fact, and misses a lot of facts.

There are very "practical" reasons to not rent. Owning software helps my taxes with write-offs, rentals don't. If I'm offline, I still have everything working fine. Plus, in one year you will spend more on Adobe rentals than you would on Apple's full paid solutions. I purchased a camera crane system rather than rent it, because after depreciation on my taxes, and the resale a year later, it was cheaper to purchase, actually profitable to purchase rather than rent it 3 or 4 times that year.

But if you're going to an Adobe based company, learn it, use it. If you then move to an Avid based company, learn it, use it. There is no one single universal NLE or workflow, so learn what you need for the job you get hired to do. Whatever those tools may be. You simply open up your future possibilities.

FCPX to Premiere 09 Jul 2015 19:55 #66334

• Image Samba
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ben-

I'm not trying to make any kind of statement on either side of the "rental" argument. I was just trying to characterize the forum on the COW. I have no dog in this race at all.

I certainly understand the reluctance to embrace the rental model. On principle alone, it seems a little creepy to me. And your point about tax consequences and other business considerations makes good sense.

On the other hand, I do get the practical side of just swallowing the distaste and getting on with your work. Especially if you're primarily an After Effects user. I know Motion is far more capable than many people realize. And there are now some decent alternatives to Photoshop, etc. But I imagine it's hard for many to just walk away from AE.

Since I don't do motion graphics, it's all theoretical to me, but I think I understand both sides. I was more interested in pointing out the intensity of the flame war over this issue. Some of the prose over there is decidedly purple -- and then some!

Back to the OP, I completely agree about the need to plunge in and learn the new tool. And let's face it, it's just a different tool for editing. Avid and Premiere and FCP and Lightworks are all far more alike than they are different. (Although FCP does stretch it a bit more than the others.)

FCPX to Premiere 09 Jul 2015 20:01 #66335

• simonpwood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 42
It seems to me that Premiere has been piggy-backing off AE for some time in the Post world. Without AE it probably wouldn't have survived as long as it has? Photoshop might have helped a little in this respect too.

I wonder will Resolve gain traction with Editors for the same reason? Lots of people grading in Resolve, but heck now they can edit in it too....? Black Magic seem to be attempting this.

FCPX to Premiere 10 Jul 2015 13:26 #66361

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Having edited quite a bit in Resolve, it is clunky, awkward, slow, and a royal PITA. It has a long ways to go before becoming some sort of industry recognized NLE.

FCPX to Premiere 10 Jul 2015 14:42 #66366

• Duncan Craig
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • duncancraig.co.uk
  • Thank you received: 9
I believe you can get a timeline from X to PP via Resolve Lite?

FCPX to Premiere 10 Jul 2015 16:10 #66372

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Mostly...

FCPX to Premiere 10 Jul 2015 17:04 #66376

• Image Samba
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Haven't tried using Resolve as a translator to Premiere. X to Avid or Avid to X is a nightmare. Premiere is probably better, but the whole process is fraught. Resolve really wasn't intended to translate XML, so I guess it's a miracle if it works even a little bit.

FCPX to Premiere 10 Jul 2015 17:57 #66380

• haysoos123
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
The biggest headache going to Resolve is the audio handling. If you're doing color, you don't care about audio anyway, so in that case, most everything goes through well (including speed ramps and compound clips). Unfortunately, the Resolve to Premiere interchange varies from ok to terrible. Your best bet is still XtoCC.

As for dynamic linking to AE, it certainly can smooth-up the interchange somewhat, but you still have to handle things like versioning manually. In our more complicated projects, we always save older revisions of graphics, and that's easy to keep track of when you have renders of each version. Yes, you can just go in and make a quick change and it will be reflected almost immediately in the timeline, but these unrendered comps often slow the system down a lot (at least now they added render and replace). And of course if you make major changes, what happens to the old versions? How do can you go back to an old revision short of manually duplicating the comp? In our workflow, we have graphics stations handling the renders, and then new renders simply overwrite old ones or are relinked. Anyway, just wanted to chime in to say that working between AE and other NLEs the "old way" isn't really a problem.

FCPX to Premiere 14 Jul 2015 19:12 #66482

• hepler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
So I have had a couple of days with Premiere and my first impressions are; it is a lot like Photoshop, which I use a lot. You can do most anything it just isn't intuitive.

Couple of things I really miss, and maybe I just haven't found the right button yet (there are thousands).

Skimming in the timeline and in the media browser, using those two features in FCPX is worth the price of admission.

Not being able to see more than just a thumbnail of the clip once it is in the timeline. On a long clip, say one min or more of a conference it is just a long blue line in the timeline, then you have to manually move the playhead to see what is going on. I am hoping I can find the "button" for this.

Not being able to "expand" the clips in the media browser so you can see what the footage is.

Not having the audio waveforms react with ducking for example you just have to guess if what your doing is right.

Not being able to see the color change when you have a color board up. You have to hit ok and then it updates, again guess and go, repeat.

I like to select; say a sky with the mask tool in the color board and do a color change or darken just that area, I haven't been able to find a easy way to do that.

Being able to change audio say from mono to stereo once it is in the timeline. This is a big problem.

Being able to see what a transition or effect is before you add it to the timeline seems like a no brainer but you can't, unless there is a button I haven't turned on. Again you have to use (guess) and then see it and take it off if it isn't what you want and repeat.

There are several others but most of them I have found a workaround, so far. FCPX is just simply faster (more efficient) to see your footage, your clips, effects, transitions, etc and get it on the timeline. The graphic interface is head and shoulders above premiere.

There are some things I really like, the color controls are the same as Lightroom and PS which I use a lot so that is a much better workflow, IMO.

I like the built in title board, very handy and well done.

It is never easy going from one software to another. But in the end I guess I will be able to use both.

• Page: