fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The text "(missing)" on each clip in multicam clip in timeline

The text "(missing)" on each clip in multicam clip in timeline 23 Nov 2014 09:48 #56379

• OmShiva
  • OmShiva's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have searched for this answer but alas, here I am.

Ver 10.1.3

Am editing a multicam clip and renamed the clips in the event mid edit. Now I'm getting a "(missing)" at the end of each clip name in the timeline. The names are reflecting the updated names, but with the added MISSING in parentheses.

If I check to relink files it shows nothing missing, but I relinked anyway. No change.
Everything seems to be playing back fine, but what's the deal with the missing annotation? Is this indicative of a deeper issue that may affect me at final export?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The text "(missing)" on each clip in multicam clip in timeline 23 Nov 2014 17:17 #56398

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 195
OmShiva,
Did you rename the files from inside FCPX or in the Finder?
If you moved or renamed files in the Finder, you may encounter problems. Always move files while inside of FCPX.
You could also open a back-up version (created automatically by FCP) if you haven't done a lot of editing since renaming files.
Sounds like FCPX is not properly seeing the clip names.

You do have additional back-ups to separate drives, don't you? Then try…

If you are sure that all media hard drives are attached and on, try to reset FCPX preferences by quitting FCPX and relaunch while holding down the command+option key. Click delete preferences and see if this works.

Hope this helps, Greg

The text "(missing)" on each clip in multicam clip in timeline 23 Nov 2014 17:54 #56401

• OmShiva
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks VidGreg. Definitely did not touch files in Finder, all done in FCP.

A backup fcpbundle from a couple days ago does show the clip names correctly and unfortunately I have done a lot in two days. Yes, also have my work backed up via RAID1.

Another strange thing I just noticed this morning is that the audio file manually connected to my video clip is showing the waveform from an older version of the audio file. It's obvious because the original audio file was the wrong version and so I replaced the file in Finder (overwriting the original) and then did a relink in fcp. Somehow the waveform is reverting to the old file, yet the audio itself is correct.

This wonkyness scares me in mid project.
Am going to reset prefs as you suggested.

The text "(missing)" on each clip in multicam clip in timeline 23 Nov 2014 18:10 #56403

• OmShiva
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Okay, I feel a bit foolish. This is user error; isn't that usually the case?

The "missing" is referring to the audio, as I had unchecked the audio in the channel configuration. Did this because I'm using audio from a recorder and not the camera reference audio. I suppose I should have just lowered the audio level to minimum in lieu of unchecking. So this issue is a case of tired brain.

However I still have the connected audio waveform being incorrect in the timeline, library, and audio inspector. Any ideas about this?

The text "(missing)" on each clip in multicam clip in timeline 23 Nov 2014 18:40 #56406

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 195
User error goes with the territory.
Ideas… " I replaced the file in Finder (overwriting the original)"
Try to do everything within FCPX, not Finder. Unlike legacy FCP; X really does not like certain Finder changes.
If you have a separate audio file you want to use, import to FCPX, add to timeline and sync, then just turn off cam audio track.

Try to close Audio wave forms and then allowing FCPX to rewrite them. This could be a cache file issue.
You can delete any unused audio files in the timeline after detaching audio, assuming the audio you want to use has already been synced. However, shouldn't be an issue to leave it there and off. Deleting in Timeline should not delete original media.

On export, as long as FCPX sees and plays the correct audio, should be good!

Rebuilding the preferences file still may work.

I guess if this does not work, you could try to open in new project, this might correct naming issues. Not really faced this particular problem.

Hope this helps, Greg

• Page: