• Page:

TOPIC: FCPX certifications

FCPX certifications 12 Nov 2014 02:23 #55839

• Kasey
  • Kasey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
So my question is: I got Certified in FCPX back in April 2013 and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get re-certified for 10.1 ? I will most likely do this anyway because I work at Apple and the pay for it and everything.

Just thought I get some awesome wisdom before I dive into my flash cards.

thanks all
Kasey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FCPX certifications 12 Nov 2014 13:16 #55863

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1279
When you certify as a Pro User for a pro app, you are certified for that version. And that certification is something you can use for life. But only can only say you're FCPX 10.1.0 certified (or whatever version you cert'ed on).

When certifications for specific versions and such are retired, they are simply not taught, tested for, nor listed on the Apple pro user web site any longer.

Should you update your certification? Depends on what you're using it for. What purpose do you use that cert for on your job?

When there is an update to tests/certifications, often Apple will email you an offer to simply take the new, updated test online. Not sure if they're doing that for the most recent updated tests/certs, though.

So, should you?
Technically, depends on what you use it for.
Personally, depends on what you "want" to do.

Prep? The new, updated version of the Boykin book is the test. The eBook version is updated for free on the Peachpit site if you registered it. Also, there is new book media there to download, also, that goes with the newest updated book version. Some media in the LV2 folder now has Finder metadata in them for creating keywords on import. The older version doesn't have that metadata.

Last edit: by BenB.

FCPX certifications 13 Nov 2014 17:47 #55940

• Kasey
  • Kasey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
thank you BenB for a quick response. You helped me move forward to get re-certed...personally I want to to stay up to date (especially with 10.1.0 because it was such game changer)...mainly for knowledge but also for my confidence. Also, It helps me currently at my job...and also good to have that cert if i move on to other things.

again thank you...cheers

FCPX certifications 13 Nov 2014 21:44 #55967

• Russ Haskell
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Just to add one more thought: Apple only lists in their Certified Professionals Registry people who are certified for the latest version. So if it's important for you to be on this searchable list it's another reason to consider taking the exam again.

Russ

FCPX certifications 14 Nov 2014 06:39 #55982

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
I have just checked with a brand new copy of Motion 5, the errata listed on PeachPit's website are not updated into the ebook, the ebook still has the incorrect versions, so it seems Peachpit does not in fact update the book once it is published or e-published.

Justine

FCPX certifications 14 Nov 2014 15:17 #56032

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Well, no one asked about the Motion book, I could have told you it wasn't updated.

Only the FCPX book has had the EPUB updated, and this is the first time Apple and Peachpit are testing that type of updating system. No other books have gotten free/live updates yet.

FCPX certifications 14 Nov 2014 15:19 #56033

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
I tried to update my copy, and I cannot see anywhere on Apple.com or Peachpit.com websites where I can update my epub e-publish version, I know it is incorrect, as the errata according to Peachpit runs 68 pdf pages long...

FCPX certifications 14 Nov 2014 15:30 #56035

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
Just noticed in less than 8 hours a new LV2 file has been updated...But my ebook is still out of date, with incorrect text...Hopefully Peachpit will update the epbub book soon...

Thanks for the update BenB

FCPX certifications 14 Nov 2014 15:31 #56036

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
OK, are you talking about the FCPX book by Brendan Boykin, or the Motion 5 book? I just explained that. If you're talking about the FCPX book;

Log in to your account at Peachpit.com, be sure you've registered the book with them (if you buy from them it registered automatically, I think). Go to the "Digital Purchases" tab, click the "Click Here To Refresh Your EPUB" link. It takes a minute or two, but then changes to "Click Here To Download Your EPUB".

Open the EPUB book, go to the first or second page, you'll see it has been updated on June 27th of this year:
“Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Pro X 10.1
Brendan Boykin
Updated for Version 10.1.2 on June 27, 2014
Copyright © 2014 by Brendan Boykin”

Also be sure to re-download the book files, as they've been updated, also.

Attachments:

FCPX certifications 14 Nov 2014 15:59 #56042

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
Nothing shows up in the Digital Purchase section on Peachpit, does it matter I bought both books on Google.com/books?

FCPX certifications 15 Nov 2014 03:41 #56063

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
As I stated before, did you "register" the book with Peachpit? If you did, contact Peachpit tech support to sort it out.

FCPX certifications 15 Nov 2014 04:13 #56067

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
Yes, books registered, I could not buy the 2 books on the Peachpit website, for banking reasons, I am unable to purchase off shore through my online banking, Google has a local "shop" which charges in local currency, so I bought 2 books, FCP X and Motion 5 through Google Books.

I have been in contact with PeachPit, Mark Spencer, to deal with this, and it seems not all good news, Brendan Boykin's Final Cut Pro X book was updated, a delete off my ipad, then a re-install of the book, refreshed this copy, I checked the errata 64 page pdf, and the changes are reflected in the new e-pub book.

The FCP X book does not show up in Digital Purchases on my PeachPit Account.

Motion 5 by Mark Spencer is out of date and according to Mark there are no plans to update, I raised this with Peachpit, as one of the benefits of e-books and e-publishing is the ability to refresh books if they need updating, and in the case of Final Cut and Motion, this is the case, terms change, workflows change, so the books should be updated.

Waiting to hear if this will be the case with Motion.

FCPX certifications 16 Nov 2014 15:07 #56100

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Did you "register" your RCPX book with Peachpit? If so, then the refresh is there.

Yep, Motion is sorely outdated, and very convoluted. Better than previous versions, but, there you have it. The books don't get updated only to have a "better book" out. They're only updated for major updates that significantly change the content of the book. The current APTS book for Motion is not out of date enough to warrant that, as Apple/Peachpit have traditionally done. But if we get a significant update to the app, we'll see a new book come out. That's not something Mark or Peachpit would have information about. Apple keeps that pretty secret.

FCPX certifications 16 Nov 2014 15:20 #56101

• MsJustine
  • Banned
  • Banned
Yes I registered, thanks for the update and the info.
I did raise the question or make that the wisdom of not updating electronic publishing books, to reflect the latest changes, to me it stupid to not update e-books.

For me I am happy with what I have..Mark does a great job with Ripple, so he can be forgiven for not wanting to update e-books!!

FCPX certifications 19 Nov 2014 01:36 #56185

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
There's not really anything to "update" in the current Motion 5 book, besides making the presentation better.

There is a great deal of technology and investment that goes into updating eBooks. It is not something that happens overnight. Apple just barely got PeachPit to go along with a free update to the FCPX book. It'll come, but it takes time, it is a lot of work to make it happen.

Anyway, the FCPX 10.1.2 version of the certification test is online as of November 14, 2014.
Download the exam prep guide to get started at "training.apple.com"

• Page: