• Page:

TOPIC: Auto Reframe for FCP X

Auto Reframe for FCP X 30 Jun 2020 17:37 #108380

• arc
  • arc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21

FCPX.guru wrote: Adobe is also the most unstable and most expensive NLE on the market...

Premiere Pro has always been reliable for me and it works great with 3rd party hardware. That being said Avid's Media Composer is $23.99 or you can pay $49.99 a month to get Media Composer Ultimate which will be a lot like the Avid Symphony and News Cutter combined. Sony's Catalyst Production Suite is $21.99 a month. How is Premiere Pro for $20.99 a month the most expensive?

The CC for $50.00 a month has a lot more than just Premiere Pro. Keep in mind FCPX requires Apple hardware. That being said I would like to see Adobe drop their prices but it would also be cool if FCPX ran on Windows. If Apple did have a Windows version of FCPX I bet it would be more than $300.00.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auto Reframe for FCP X 30 Jun 2020 19:07 #108381

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 497
Really? That's your argument? OK, you can run with that.

I've had FCPX for 8 years, $299.
PPro for 8 years, $4,800 and you're still not finished paying for it.

Back to the OT, select it all, make a compound, go to town resizing stuff. It's not automatic, but it sure as heck does not take "hours"... few minutes here and there max.

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

Auto Reframe for FCP X 30 Jun 2020 21:24 #108385

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

FCPX.guru wrote: Really? That's your argument? OK, you can run with that.

I've had FCPX for 8 years, $299.
PPro for 8 years, $4,800 and you're still not finished paying for it.

Back to the OT, select it all, make a compound, go to town resizing stuff. It's not automatic, but it sure as heck does not take "hours"... few minutes here and there max.

I did not say Premiere Pro was less expensive than FCPX. Why are you talking about FCPX? You had stated Premiere Pro was the most expensive NLE. It's not. Other companies have a monthly rental fee. Apple has an Apple tax on their hardware that is more than $252 a year. With FCPX I need to spend over 2K to install a mediocre RAID system in the Mac Pro. I also have to spend a minimum of $6K to get PCIe slots. That being said you need to take a basic math class because Premiere Pro is only $2,016 dollars after 8 years not $4,800. You cannot compare the full CC suite with FCPX unless FCPX can do webdesign and printing production like the CC can.

In any other NLE forum you can openly mention features you like in other NLE and the users do not trash the competition. I don't doubt FCPX will have the re-framing feature soon.

Auto Reframe for FCP X 01 Jul 2020 00:18 #108390

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
I run a TV station on a 2015 rMBP and an SSD ext drive, and a 2017 iMac with a $1200 RAID. Not sure where your numbers come from. But yeah, make whatever claims you want. I'm done.

50x12=600
600x8=4,800

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.

Auto Reframe for FCP X 01 Jul 2020 01:03 #108392

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

FCPX.guru wrote: I run a TV station on a 2015 rMBP and an SSD ext drive, and a 2017 iMac with a $1200 RAID. Not sure where your numbers come from. But yeah, make whatever claims you want. I'm done.

50x12=600
600x8=4,800

I stated if you need PCIe you will have to pay $6K. I also stated if you want to add an internal HD RAID for the Mac Pro you will need to spend over $2k. That is over 8K total. Your laptop cannot use the Afterburner PCIE card nor does your laptop run an internal RAID system. Some people need those features.

For the last time! Premiere Pro is only $21 per month.

21 X 12 = 252
252 X 8 = 2016

Do you think you can admit your math was wrong?

Below is an example of what a $300.00 RAID system can do on the PC side. What can a $300 RAID system on the Mac do? Does a $300 RAID system for the Mac exists? Most Apple users are willing to admit that most of the Apple products have an Apple tax.

Last edit: by arc.

Auto Reframe for FCP X 02 Jul 2020 08:06 #108442

• Stu Wart
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
oh non, not that agressive and pathetic arc troll again ! :)

the bitterness and frustration of this guy ... does funeral DVD's and needs to come here to "exist" by being toxic making bilious assumptions about a professional world he only sees from far, very far.

Auto Reframe for FCP X 03 Jul 2020 05:29 #108461

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Stu Wart wrote: oh non, not that agressive and pathetic arc troll again ! :)

the bitterness and frustration of this guy ... does funeral DVD's and needs to come here to "exist" by being toxic making bilious assumptions about a professional world he only sees from far, very far.

I have done more than Funeral DVDs. I worked for the City Of Detroit's Cable Commission. We had a full studio and a suitcase studio for of site productions. We had a couple of Avids and one DPS system for editing. Everything we did was played over Public Access and a few things were aired of local network affiliate stations. If you made comments towards me in another forum like Avid, Edius, BMD you would have been kicked out long ago. That being said feel free to show everyone you inner a-hole.

Auto Reframe for FCP X 03 Jul 2020 09:01 #108462

• Stu Wart
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
hahaha really going 6 Feets Under arc :)

you are not a broadcast pro, hence the frustration and the toxic bitterness

Auto Reframe for FCP X 04 Jul 2020 03:18 #108470

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Stu Wart wrote: hahaha really going 6 Feets Under arc :)

you are not a broadcast pro, hence the frustration and the toxic bitterness

I am I going 6 foot under or are you a pathetic a-hole? Why would I say I worked for the Cable Commission if I didn't.? That being said you stating I am not a broadcast pro doesn't erase the the fact that I helped create thousands of video projects that were aired over Public Access and a few things that were aired over local Radio and TV stations.

On a side note I was also a DJ. Not a DJ at the bar but a DJ that was broadcast over the airwaves using broadcast equipment.

Auto Reframe for FCP X 04 Jul 2020 12:14 #108476

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
So no, you're not an experienced broadcast professional. Public Access? That joke? Really? Leave professional advice to the professionals. Your IT knowledge is full of holes, too. I'm a retired IT engineer, but I'm sure you know more than I do about that, also. Geez, give it up, arc...

Auto Reframe for FCP X 04 Jul 2020 20:23 #108478

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

FCPX.guru wrote: So no, you're not an experienced broadcast professional. Public Access? That joke? Really? Leave professional advice to the professionals. Your IT knowledge is full of holes, too. I'm a retired IT engineer, but I'm sure you know more than I do about that, also. Geez, give it up, arc...

The city of Detroit's Cable Commission probably had as much equipment as any of the local networks minus the tower and transmitter. For example in Broadcast And Cable Magazine you could see ads for the Camplex system. They would show images of the Camplex system being used for The Tonight Show, Jenny Jones, Dateline etc. We had the exact same setup in out studio. We had the same CCU as The Tonight Show, Dateline etc. As I stated we had two Avid Media Composers and a DPS system. If you want to claim I have not worked with broadcast equipment you might want to pull your head out of your ass.

I bet there are people in the forums that do not even know what genlock is. I don't doubt there are people in these forums who have never done work that has been broadcasted or even done anything that got cablecast but that doesn't bother you. You have a hatred towards Premiere Pro and anyone who uses it. Someone mention they liked the auto re-framing in Adobe and FCPXguru started badmouthing Premiere Pro. In any another other NLE forum you can mention the competition without hatred being spewed out.

That being said I don't see you trying to help people in these forums. To add insult to injury some of the people in these forums are simply trying to capture VHS tapes and burn to DVD. VHS is not used for broadcast is it? What awesome method do you use for VHS transfers? If you have no method for VHS transfer then allow those who do to answer even if we are not as professionals as you. In case you are to stupid to realize it you don't need to work with broadcast equipment to answer may of questions in these forums. As I stated in any other NLE forum BMD, Avid, Edius, Premiere etc you would have been kicked out long ago. FCP forums are a tad bit different in the fact that they love to hate on Premiere Pro. Not so much hate for DaVinci Resolve or Edius but Premiere. You are proof of that. How pathetic!

That being said if you have to badmouth other people to make yourself feel good you might be a douche bag.

I do not claim to be an IT professional but please list my holes because I don't think I ever responded to an IT question. On a side note if you are an IT please list the line commands to delete the master boot record. No googling.

Auto Reframe for FCP X 05 Jul 2020 17:39 #108484

• VTCmedia
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
The beauty that is VHS. I run maybe 200 tapes a day both VHS / U-Matic here and the problem with editors is they'll devote hours cobbling together a setup to transfer 240/300 line analog video trying to squeeze data from it. I can run the stuff ProRes 442 generating a 66 GB/hr file and there's no appreciable difference in that from the typical 4GB/hr file transfer. They'll look identical when viewed on the CRT hardware they were meant for but on 1080 displays they're equally grim, grim, grim.

The signal can be stabilized via a TBC and the funky color can be tweaked to a limited degree but I routinely encounter people expecting to effectively take a square of toilet paper and stretch it to the size of a bed sheet expecting it to keep them warm. I've run the tests and I've peeked at the pixels. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the standard $20 'pedestrian' tape transfer and the $85 'professional' mega GB transfer.

This applies to ANALOG signal tapes. Standard def DIGITAL tapes may, and I repeat MAY, benefit somewhat from generating the larger files and costs but if it's Caroline's 5th grade piano recital I'd say forget it.

Auto Reframe for FCP X 05 Jul 2020 20:46 #108486

• AppleGuru
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Why is this thread called Auto Reframe for FCP X when there is no info regarding to it?

Auto Reframe for FCP X 05 Jul 2020 20:53 #108487

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
VTCmedia,

I agree with you. I see people use cheap USB capture card along with OBS, Handbrake, Virtualdub etc. The result is usually horrible even though they put a lot of time and effort into their process. The reason is the cheap USB capture cards have cheap hardware to begin with. My Hi-8 camera has a TBC built in. I can capture using the Intensity Shuttle at 10 Bit uncompressed. The result is slightly better than using the ADVC 110 DV-25 but the files are way to big. Most of my clients just want to see the video of their loved ones. Capturing uncompressed is not needed and like you stated the files size is huge. I like the fact that you mention playing back to CRT and HD monitors. Below is my setup. It is not the best but what you see is what you get during the editing process.

Auto Reframe for FCP X 06 Jul 2020 05:57 #108496

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

AppleGuru wrote: Why is this thread called Auto Reframe for FCP X when there is no info regarding to it?

The OP was asking if FCPX could do it.

Auto Reframe for FCP X 06 Jul 2020 14:53 #108502

• VTCmedia
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
And what of all those cinematic masterpieces of mine I shot on tape? Did I do the time/space/labor intensive kind of 'professional' transfer or the quick/fast/get-it-out-the-door 'pedestrian' transfer? I'm satisfied with 'pedestrian' knowing full well spending 6x the effort doesn't translate into a 6x better quality product.

Auto Reframe for FCP X 07 Jul 2020 19:55 #108527

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

VTCmedia wrote: And what of all those cinematic masterpieces of mine I shot on tape? Did I do the time/space/labor intensive kind of 'professional' transfer or the quick/fast/get-it-out-the-door 'pedestrian' transfer? I'm satisfied with 'pedestrian' knowing full well spending 6x the effort doesn't translate into a 6x better quality product.

I agree. I can maybe see if somehow you had VHS tapes of Lady Gaga and you were going to do a feature film style documentary for theater release about her life then I might capture 10-bit uncompressed. I might do it for something really rare but for the average client there is no need.

• Page: