fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone else have the plastic dividers break off their SDHC cards?

Anyone else have the plastic dividers break off their SDHC cards? 29 Oct 2014 20:44 #55129

• bradywurtz
  • bradywurtz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
I've had the little plastic divider on the back of my SDHC card bend to the point where it's going to fall off. has anyone else had this issue before?

is it best to just pitch the card in the trash? or can i cut or pull the plastic divider out and still use the card? if i can just pull it off and keep using it, why have the dividers in the first place?

this happened from me trying to put my sdhc card into my iMac without looking (the card slot is in the back of the computer, and it's the new slim imac that doesn't have a disk drive, so the back is curved, and when i'm not looking, and i think im putting the card in straight, it's actually at an angle, and it ends up getting stuck or in this case, bending one of the plastic dividers on the back of the card).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anyone else have the plastic dividers break off their SDHC cards? 30 Oct 2014 21:37 #55216

• TrixTrax9000
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 142
We use SD cards frequently, but not sure what you mean by the word "divider."

Could you please post a pic of the damage, perhaps someone here can help.
I've had the actual SD card exterior case split along the side seam once, can't remember what brand it was.
The repair probably entailed a tiny drop of that watery superglue, just inside the seam, being ever so careful not to leave any residue on the outside where it can contaminate the camera or Mac.

But still going to need a pic to know exactly what the problem is.

:)

Anyone else have the plastic dividers break off their SDHC cards? 31 Oct 2014 11:14 #55281

• bradywurtz
  • bradywurtz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
It's the plastic dividers on the back of the card where the metal pins are that connect and transfer the data for the card. this card here i'm showing has two of the plastic dividers removed already, but if i would have shot a video, i would have been able to show you that if you touch the other dividers, they bend a lot.
Attachments:

Anyone else have the plastic dividers break off their SDHC cards? 02 Nov 2014 05:11 #55367

• TrixTrax9000
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 142
Ok, now I see exactly what you're talking about. Thank you for posting the pic. Yes, I'd call those "dividers" too. That's a problem I've never encountered or even heard of. However, since the female component on the device has the terminals fixed & the entry port's alignment parameters are machined to such precise tolerances, I think that if you take a moment of care ensuring you're guiding the card in perfectly straightly, all terminals should line up properly.

Not sure what caused the plastic to deteriorate like that, perhaps sunlight, temperature changes or just aging. If you see one of them coming loose, I'd carefully remove it while taking extra care to not disrupt the electrical terminals. The last thing you want is some loose bit of plastic debris inside your camera or mac.

Your card should still operate perfectly as long as you push it in straight to ensure all the terminals make their correct contacts.

Anyone else have the plastic dividers break off their SDHC cards? 02 Nov 2014 09:55 #55368

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661
a SDcard has mainly two parts: the memory chip and a tiny controller... therefor it has for example its own power-input, see for example here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

so, for a good reasons those 'dividers' take care, the contacts contact its right counterparts...

in a worse case, the card gets fried.
in a very worse case, the reader gets fried...

SCdards are cheap - I would trash the card.

Plus, I would improve your manual workflow ... those dividers are - at last on m cards - rock-solid; needs some real forces to break 'em ... ;) Slide in slow-and-easy ....

Anyone else have the plastic dividers break off their SDHC cards? 02 Nov 2014 17:49 #55371

• Nervebroke
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
On the topic of the newer curved iMac rear card reader. Is there a USB3.0 SDHC card reader that is as fast in read/write speeds as the internal card reader? What do you use/recomend.

Dave

Anyone else have the plastic dividers break off their SDHC cards? 03 Nov 2014 00:11 #55383

• marchyman
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 42
The Transcend USB 3.0 reader is fast. I don't know if it is faster than the built in reader. I never use the built in reader because it is a pain to reach. Also, half of my cameras use compact flash.

Anyone else have the plastic dividers break off their SDHC cards? 03 Nov 2014 00:24 #55385

• Nervebroke
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12

marchyman wrote: The Transcend USB 3.0 reader is fast. I don't know if it is faster than the built in reader. I never use the built in reader because it is a pain to reach. Also, half of my cameras use compact flash.

Thanks I will look at that one. I love my iMac but I really don't like the position of the card reader or the headphone/mic jack.

• Page: