Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks for Mac

Lightworks for Mac 11 Jun 2014 00:12 #47623

• grailz
  • grailz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • If you believe you can or can't, you are right!
  • Thank you received: 20
Didn't realize that today was the release date for the LIghtworks for Mac public beta. Getting ready to download it. Wondering if anyone's played around with it yet?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lightworks for Mac 11 Jun 2014 03:16 #47627

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1279
Downloading, will look at it when I have time. Noticed I registered on the EditShare June of 2011. Been waiting 3 years for the Mac version. Geez...

Lightworks for Mac 11 Jun 2014 05:39 #47634

• Scrubelicious
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
Yup took that long. If it didn't we would be on the Lightworks with a Editshare solution and not Final Cut Pro X with a Thunderbolt solution. :whistle:

Lightworks for Mac 11 Jun 2014 06:04 #47637

• paurray
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Absence of Quality is the essence of squareness.
  • Thank you received: 15
Always had a soft spot in my heart from Lightworks and will definitely take a look at it again. I fear however that it will seem somewhat clunky after using some other edit systems e.g. FCPX. Sighhhhhh. Would be happy to be proven wrong though :P

Last edit: by paurray.

Lightworks for Mac 11 Jun 2014 06:40 #47640

• cgbier
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 53

paurray wrote: Always had a soft spot in my heart from Lightworks and will definitely take a look at it again. I fear however that it will seem somewhat clunky after using some other edit systems e.g. FCPX.

I have been using the Beta on an old LINUX box*** I had rotting away somewhere. Seems like going back to FCP 5.

***originally, I only came to Mac because there never has been a usable NLE for LINUX since Vegas 5. Now I'm stuck with Apple and happy about it.

Lightworks for Mac 11 Jun 2014 13:13 #47662

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1279
GUI is a PITA. Every operation opens a new floating window. I'm rearranging and closing and opening and hunting down a zillion floating windows constantly. Very out dated look to the GUI, not sure that is necessary. Clips and projects in one window, I'm sure there's a way to separate things out, but it ain't no keyword easy organization.

There are things I like. Color coded clips in timeline. Audio mixer, although it is very clunky and awkward. Lane volume, not just clip volume.

Will have to explore it more. But is sure doesn't seem to bring anything "new" or "innovative" to the NLE world. Same old same old, just that it is free. Which usually equates with limited evolution moving forward.

I also notice their promotional text takes thinly hidden pot shots at FCPX.

I worked with Lightworks for Mac all last night. I watched the tutorials. They tout it as a "modern, professional" NLE. Well, modern? Maybe in some bizzar-o world other universe that is 2 decades behind our own. Professional? Well, iPhones shoot professional video. So that's such an open ended term. But, let's look at how "professional" it is.

As stated before, I ended up with a zillion windows, all floating all over, rearranging them constantly. 2 decade old GUI, no snappy media organization. No, it makes you work HARDER to get a finished product. That is NOT what I personally consider "professional".

I do wood work as a hobby. My best friend has done it his whole long life as for a living. He put it well. If I buy a new piece of equipment, it MUST make my work easier and faster, or it is a loss of money and time.

Q- Does Lightwork make things faster and easier?
A- In absolutely no sane, logical, real world way at all!

Last edit: by BenB.
  • Page: