Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Editing For Trailers

Editing For Trailers 09 Oct 2013 23:55 #32333

• marchyman
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 42
In the US a copyright covers the expression of an idea, not the idea itself. Some people do mind when others rip off their idea. Too bad.

Here are some current examples of movies with roughly the same plot. I'll bet some of the people involved are angry that the other movie "ripped off their idea".

www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/the-4-most-i...nt-movie-plots-2013/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Editing For Trailers 19 Oct 2013 03:04 #32717

• TrixTrax9000
  • TrixTrax9000 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 142
Then there are the famous screenwriting courses which teach every movie is essentially the same story. No, I'm not kidding.

But let's get back to movie trailers, shall we?

The latest from Wes Anderson , one of my new favorite filmmakers (Moonrise Kingdom, Fantastic Mr Fox, etc).

Love the editing in this one, great humor, star studded, brilliant timing, amazing colors & framing, witty banter = a very high hook factor.

Last edit: by TrixTrax9000 .

Editing For Trailers 26 Nov 2013 13:04 #34685

• paurray
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Absence of Quality is the essence of squareness.
  • Thank you received: 15
Yeah that last one looks very cool.

And here is something else very different. Frankly I do not know if I could sit through this one. The trailer is hardcore and without compromise. Wow! And it one of the rare documentary trailer in here!!!

Amazing how much of it works on the audio level. The pictures as such are not exactly what you would call appetising! And the sound is both calming and disturbing at the same time!!!

Last edit: by paurray.

Editing For Trailers 30 Nov 2013 15:35 #34916

• TrixTrax9000
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I just tweeted this & thought you guys might like to have a listen...

It's an interesting speech by Steven Soderbergh where he talks about a lot of related topics, including the trailer editing issues with the Side Effects movie.

10 Things Wrong with Hollywood" Steven Soderbergh's State of Cinema Address at SFIFF56

plus.google.com/+JeffBoulton72/posts/WiCnfv8BVfV

Editing For Trailers 04 Dec 2013 09:23 #35128

• Scrubelicious
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110

marchyman wrote: In the US a copyright covers the expression of an idea, not the idea itself. Some people do mind when others rip off their idea. Too bad.

Here are some current examples of movies with roughly the same plot. I'll bet some of the people involved are angry that the other movie "ripped off their idea".

www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/the-4-most-i...nt-movie-plots-2013/

Maybe Hollywood should look into this and stop making covers and remakes of other films. :P

Editing For Trailers 04 Dec 2013 15:52 #35132

• soarininmotion
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Silent era films have been widely copied, especially those in the public domain. Did you know the 2002 Best Picture winner "Chicago" was actually a remake of the 1927 Cecil B. DeMille silent film of the same name that was itself based on a 1926 Broadway musical?
Chris O'Donnell made "The Bachelor" which took its inspiration from Buster Keaton's "Seven Chances". The one sheet image of Chris being chased down a street by hundreds of brides to be is an exact copy of the scene in Keaton's film.
Even Steven Spielberg's riverboat scene from "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was lifted from an early Herman Brix serial "The New Adventures of Tarzan" (filmed in Guatemala) in that the action is the same.
In the late 30's there was a Franchot Tone film called "Fast and the Furious" though the story differs from the present day series.

Editing For Trailers 05 Jan 2014 18:16 #38195

• paurray
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
This film nearly drove me mad but I am so glad that I made it to the end it was worth it! Also found the trailers pretty cool. Particularly the first one. It really leaves me wanting more…

Editing For Trailers 13 Feb 2014 08:08 #41066

• paurray
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
And another interesting approach to a trailer. Not quite sure if I get this but it seems to be a trailer for the poster!!!

Last edit: by paurray.

Editing For Trailers 28 Oct 2014 05:24 #54954

• TrixTrax9000
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Long time since we fired up this thread... let's get to it

That Stoker trailer is genius, so artistically beautiful, not just the incorporation of the art work, but the feel, music, mood, some of the transitions, the flaxen hair to wheat to grass. The overall mood, the whole thing is mesmerizing. Also we have a strange juxtaposition with the light lyrical almost whimsical song against some rather macabre subject matter. Yet, they go about as close to the edge as they can in a trailer, but we're never off the hook. Well done.

Here's one back at ya.

Do you think they made it dramatic enough?

Editing For Trailers 28 Oct 2014 20:27 #55031

• TrixTrax9000
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Here's a completely different style, for a film I'd never heard of, yet it's making quite a buzz at the moment. Kind of a surprise hit, little square frame foreign language indie film in black & white from Poland that's made over $10 Million so far. This Indiewire article says the distributors credit the trailer with much of the success, though it's only one aspect of their clever strategy.

An exploration of artistic minimalism? You be the judge.

Some nice touches, even moving the subtitles, or the splash of pink... enjoy

Last edit: by TrixTrax9000 .