Active Storage have come up with a Metadata controller that looks like the now defunct Xserve. They're very proud of their new baby especially its ''out of the box'' readiness.
This is what they've got to say about it:
"Designed to be the best Metadata Controller for Xsan and StorNext installations, ActiveSAN is much more than a generic server with StorNext software loaded on it. ActiveSAN is a fully integrated Metadata Controller solution consisting of a highly innovative Intel Xeon server-based appliance that features a straightforward design for easy installation and serviceability. It combines stunning Active Storage product design and the rock-solid performance and reliability of the Intel Nehalem platform in a 1U rack form factor. ActiveSAN utilizes an enterprise hardened Linux operating system and the Quantum StorNext SAN file system.
The installation and management of the appliance is designed for rapid deployment utilizing a single administration utility that provides setup for server and file system parameters. With Linux OS and Active Xsan-optimized StorNext shared file system, the ActiveSAN is a solid performer. The Active Storage designed native Mac OS X User Interface and Management Suite were designed for phenomenal ease of use in deployment and management of the Operating System and StorNext. If you are familiar with Xsan or Mac OS X, you will be ready to go in minutes!"
Here's all the spec:
- 1U rack-optimized enclosure
- Intel Quad-core Xeon processor
- 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 ECC memory
- 1 available 16 lane PCI-e slot
- Dual port 8Gb Fibre Channel Card with SFPs
- Mirrored hot swap 1TB Hitachi Enterprise Class SATA hard drives
- Redundant hot swap 600W auto-sensing power supplies
- Locking power cords
- 4x USB 2.0 ports (2 front, 2 rear)
- 2x GbE ports
- 1x Serial port (for UPS support)
- VGA graphics port
- Rack rail kit with hardware
- Lights Out Management via Active Viewer
- Active Viewer and ActiveSAN Admin Software suite
Go to Active Storage here to find out more.