AJA video systems are celebrating their 20th appearance at NAB. We attended their press breakfast before the show started to see what new products they were announcing.
For press journalists on a Monday morning at NAB, there is one event that kicks it all off, the AJA Press Breakfast that starts at 8:00 AM. A cup of coffee in hand and low carb egg roll on a plate, we sat down to learn of the new products they had lined up for release.
We also snagged a copy of their NAB 2013 showreel.
For us editors, there wasn't any news of new products or updates to the Kona range, it was mainly about content acquisition and converters this year.
The first product mentioned was the KiPro Quad, which wasn't really news as we announced it exactly a year ago, but the unit is now shipping. With the expansion in 4K delivery and post production we can see this getting used more often, but as other manufacturers have shown, 4K can be recorded at high quality on internal media. Should you want one, it retails at $3995.
New at the show is the Hi5-4K Mini-Converter which converts 4 3G-SDI signals for consumer 4K displays equipped with 4K-capable 1.4a HDMI inputs. The unit will be available soon for $595 and will provide a great way to display 4K on a domestic 4K TV screen in an edit bay.
Hi5-4K features include:
- ·4x 3G-SDI inputs
- ·1x HDMI 1.4a (4K capable) output
- ·3G/HD-SDI to HDMI conversion for HD workflows
- ·Ability to connect KONA 3G SDI-based 4K output to 4K HDMI displays
- ·Audio embedded in the SDI input is passed as embedded audio in the 4K HDMI output
The Corvid Ultra is 4K I/O box which has been utilised by companies such as Quantel to provide the I/O for use with their Pablo Rio software. Steve Owen from Quantel gave us a quick run through on why they chose the Corvid, stereo work and high frame rates being two examples.
- Extensive I/O: 3G SDI, 4K HDMI output, embedded and AES audio (2-channel analog audio monitoring).
- Supports video formats from SD through to 4K at up to 60 frames per second.
- Color depth up to 16-bit half float RGBA with full color space conversion.
- Powerful, onboard Debayering for RAW workflows.
- High-quality AJA TruScale™ means perfect quality at any resolution.
- Two 4K-capable expansion slots for additional I/O or processing.
- Fast 8x PCIe 2.0 host connection provides 2500+ MB/s in each direction.
- Supports peer-to-peer transfers via DMA.
- 2RU form factor
Adobe Premiere Product Manager Al Mooney told us about how Premiere and Speedgrade now had full support from the Kona, Io XT, Io Express and T-Tap products.
And finally (bypassing a few other products that are more to do with repurposing 4K live content) AJA announced the Mini-Matrix which is an iPhone and iPad app that works out which product is right for you. Tell the app what input you have and what output you want and the app will do the rest! Clever.
It's free and in the app store now.
Finally, we found a customer testimonial video on the memory stick that AJA kindly gave out at the briefing. The video features Westwork Studios and how they utilise AJA Products.