Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Mac Pro (2019)

New Mac Pro (2019) 03 Jun 2019 22:32 #100095

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 73
Apple finally released details for the upcoming mac Pro. You can check it out here:

www.apple.com/mac-pro/

Lots of good and bad. Here are both in MY OPINION:

THE GOOD:
-Back to the cheese grater design.
-Modular. Can actually update stuff now. Apple is kind of listening.
-Pretty darn good specs, nothing to sneeze at for sure.
-Up to 1.5 TB of RAM. Granted, 32GB will be fine.
-Designed by a guy with a British accent.

THE BAD:
-CPU is the same speed as my 2013 CPU.
-Not a ton of I/O ports. Would have preferred much more. No mention of USB-C? EDIT: USB-C is provided
-Xeon processors. Don't the i-processors have hardware h.264 encoding and decoding? Doesn't Metal need an i-processor? Same with whatever Adobe apps use? I may be misinformed on this aspect.
-Still looks like the graphics cards are proprietary. This is not good and will limit expansion.

What are YOUR opinions of the new hardware?
Last Edit: 03 Jun 2019 22:40 by Redifer.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Mac Pro (2019) 04 Jun 2019 01:59 #100096

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
My understanding is that you don't HAVE to use the MPX modules and can put any GPU in there.
Seems like the MPX modules allows for fanless GPUs though?

A wicked beast of a computer for sure, with all those PCI slots you can add any I/O you need.

Personally it's way TOO pro ;)
Wish they made just a Mac, with half the PCI slots, non-XEON CPUs, no ECC ram etc etc.
I want a modular consumer level Mac... so for now I will keep my Hackintosh, which is just that...

If I had the money and the need for what the Mac Pro offers, it looks like a great machine, though!

New Mac Pro (2019) 04 Jun 2019 04:46 #100099

• arc
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
You are correct The Xeons do not have Intel's Quick Sync like the i7 CPUs. As far as I/O options it think it takes generic PCIe cards so you can add your own I/O options. My computer's motherboard does have the option for the installation of a Thunderbolt 3 PCIe card just like the new Mac Pro. Having said that the new Mac Pro is about the size of my Micro ATX computer case but I don't think it has the room to RAID six hard drives.

New Mac Pro (2019) 04 Jun 2019 11:56 #100104

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 263
Redifer wrote:
...-Xeon processors. Don't the i-processors have hardware h.264 encoding and decoding? Doesn't Metal need an i-processor? Same with whatever Adobe apps use?...

It has a T2 chip which on the iMac Pro handles H264/HEVC encode/decode. FCPX, Resolve and Adobe apparently use this via existing macOS APIs. FCPX and Resolve use it for decode (ie playback) and encode, Adobe for encode (ie export) only.

If higher transcoding performance is needed, there is the "Afterburner" option, a custom reprogrammable FPGA. They were not specific about what codecs this handles, but mentioned 8k RAW. So at this point we don't know if H264/HEVC would be handled by the T2 chip or the Afterburner card.

New Mac Pro (2019) 04 Jun 2019 12:21 #100106

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 372
This is going to be great for science and engineering research, and high-end Holywood compositing and 6/8k work. But for the editors I work with daily, it's way overkill. Something between that and the iMac Pro would be nice, as someone has already stated. Too much pro, not enough real-world average editor guy.

Someone asked me if I had the cash on hand would I buy this today. Nope, way too much for what I do, most of that power would go to waste on me. Yes, I'd see better performance, but still, I'm happy with what I have, it works just fine. Faster export times are not worth it to me, I'm not suffering $6K worth of time waiting for exports.

When I get a contract that requires 2,000 tracks in Logic Pro X and more lanes in FCPX that is realistic, and more mO2 compositing and modeling than I can wrap my brain around, yeah, I'll charge enough to buy one.

Nice machine though, well thought out, just hate the cheese grater look, very outdated esthetics, IMHO. With metal prices going up and up and up with US tariffs and all, use something cheaper, lighter and more appealing. Not into the brute force look. It doesn't match my sofa...

New Mac Pro (2019) 05 Jun 2019 09:16 #100116

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 73
there is the "Afterburner" option, a custom reprogrammable FPGA.
Oh it's an FPGA? I wonder what class it is. If it's powerful enough, there's a lot that could be done with it if Apple allows developers to overwrite their core on the fly when needed (defaulting back to Apple's core when done). This could be amazing for a great many things. You could run 68K, Power PC, 32-bit, et al on it without having to worry about software emulation. Running Legacy apps could be a piece of cake. Not that this has any chance of happening, but it's fun to dream. It's 100% possible, just not probable.

I'm not sure what to do about my next Mac. I don't need to update now or anything, but I really hope they offer something with lots of I/O without an attached screen. This new Mac Pro probably won't sell incredibly well. I wonder how well the $1000 monitor stand will sell.
Last Edit: 05 Jun 2019 09:16 by Redifer.

New Mac Pro (2019) 12 Jun 2019 04:49 #100206

• arc
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I have a few thoughts of my own. I am not saying anyone cares : )