Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Only start a new post here if you are uploading a free plugin or direct linking to a plugin or the page that the plugin can be downloaded from.

All other new posts will be deleted.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Splitting the List

Splitting the List 07 Aug 2012 14:34 #12738

• peteramwiggins
  • Administrator
  • The Administrator :)
  • Thank you received: 378
All,

As you can see this list has got longer and longer, maybe to the point where it is a bit unmanageable.

How about splitting it up into sections? Filters, Transitions, Generators and Titles or something more precise like colour correctors, lower thirds, etc?

What do you think?

And if anybody is up for the job then let us know!
Administrator
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Splitting the List 07 Aug 2012 15:59 #12739

• youngeddie
  • Expert Boarder
I think that's a really great idea Peter!

All these plugins are so helpful, but there are so many of them...

I'd love to see a list of all the plugins, with a short description of what they do. I think over time I've lost some, and it be would nice to go find a plugin when a particular issue comes up in a project.

Thanks again to all the kind, and very smart people that put these plugins together, and share them.

Re: Splitting the List 07 Aug 2012 19:10 #12741

• Don Rumsey
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Great idea! Actually I somehow went through a bunch of your posts last night Peter and found a few I had missed. Also a huge thank you to all of those involved in making them available. just an awesome community.

Re: Splitting the List 07 Aug 2012 19:43 #12742

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 250
Many people looking for a plugin are looking to solve a problem, they might not be thinking that they need to find a specific kind of Motion template. An extreme example is Adjustment layer-type effects. Few people would look in the Titles section for these.

How about having a sticky topic at the top of the list with each post having a list of effects from each uploader.

As well as each uploader adding a topic for their new effect they could also update their single post in the sticky topic with a single sentence description of what the effect does, with a link to the topic that has more information on the effect.

My entry would look like this:

Extrude - simulates 3D for titles and clips
Last Edit: 07 Aug 2012 21:18 by peteramwiggins. Reason: Don't really want a long list of plugins in the sticky thread

Re: Splitting the List 07 Aug 2012 21:10 #12745

• youngeddie
  • Expert Boarder
OMG! This is brilliant!!

Thanks Alex!!

Eddie

Re: Splitting the List 07 Aug 2012 21:21 #12746

• peteramwiggins
  • Administrator
I don't think it will be organised by author. If it was then it would have to be a repository arrangement & I'm sure that some of the writers of plugins wouldn't want that.

Might be wrong though

Peter
Administrator

Re: Splitting the List 07 Aug 2012 22:21 #12749

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1279
Or add a "Category" setting to each post for each type. And allow us to search by Category. It's always easier to search by Metadata, which I wish FCP X would do. :lol: Sometimes I really enjoy just scrolling through and window shopping.

Re: Splitting the List 07 Aug 2012 22:29 #12750

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
Ideally each author would create a single entry in a database with standard keywords which could be searched. Members of the forum could then report if an entry has too many irrelevant keywords (to make sure the database entry doesn't come up as a result on every search). The author and others could then add tutorials and examples of the effect in productions.

All it takes is investment in database plug-ins and a whole lot of UI design!

Perhaps it's best if getting better access to the variety of plug-ins was implemented and maintained using the minimum amount of moderation.

The advantage of a list of plug-ins per post in a sticky would be that to scan all the effects would be much quicker than now. If there were 20 different plugin authors, that would only be 20 posts in a thread. The only moderation needed would be to make sure each description was only a sentence (at least).

If sub-forums were created for effects (and effects implemented using titles), titles (primarily about working with text), generators and transitions, there would be a big imbalance between how many topics each would have. There would be few generators, a few more transitions, some titles and mostly effects. It seems that the effects sub-forum would start with over 6 pages. Not much of an improvement over the current situation.

I'm not proposing that any topics are deleted, moved or merged. Topics should still be added as normal. Just that there is a master list available that can be maintained by authors if they want people to find their work.

You could also have a sticky that lists plug-ins as arbitrary categories with links to the existing topics that have the plug-in entries. Each post could be curated by a moderator or a trusted member of the forum. Post titles could be as you listed: colour correction, lower thirds and go to include lists such as wedding video, halloween, Final Cut Pro 7 workarounds, Avid etc.
Last Edit: 07 Aug 2012 22:30 by alex4D.

Re: Splitting the List 10 Aug 2012 06:11 #12831

• cazasnark
  • Fresh Boarder
Great idea, I guess an alphabetical list with a brief description sounds good, also tags to each effect so you can search by Tittles, Split screens, transitions, color effects, etc. Maybe you guys will find a better system, just my two cents.
And thanks to all the creators, you guys rock (hard) and got me excited about FCPX.

Re: Splitting the List 10 Aug 2012 12:35 #12837

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
Is that a roll of gaffers tape in your pocket, or are you just happy to see us? :P

Re: Splitting the List 10 Aug 2012 21:18 #12875

• cazasnark
  • Fresh Boarder
I said excited, not aroused, sorry to break your fantasy :)

Re: Splitting the List 10 Aug 2012 22:31 #12877

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
LMAO!!!!

Re: Splitting the List 14 Sep 2012 18:02 #14037

• Airwin
  • Fresh Boarder
YES! Please do. Great idea

Splitting the List 14 Nov 2012 18:01 #17251

• youngeddie
  • Expert Boarder
So... where's the list?

Is there a link I can use to find the most recent version of the list?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Eddie

Splitting the List 14 Nov 2012 20:08 #17261

• Simon Ubsdell
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 380
This seemed like a really good idea ...

Whatever happened to it?

Splitting the List 15 Nov 2012 11:42 #17283

• peteramwiggins
  • Administrator
Maybe it is a Thanksgiving day job :)

I'll try to work out some categories
Administrator

Splitting the List 15 Nov 2012 12:27 #17286

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
I think some categories could be task-based, some based on kind.

When people are looking to solve a problem or get something done, they sometimes know what kind of task a Motion template might help with, but not know which kind might offer the solution.

Some templates are implemented as titles and generators that fall into the task-based categories. For example, when looking to matte a clip or a project, many editors wouldn't know that this feature could be implemented as a title or generator as well as an effect, but might look in the Compositing category.

Stylize - Effects, generators and titles that modify the look of clip frames

Animate - Effects, generators and titles that move the contents of clips as a whole

Compositing - Effects, generators and titles that control how each clip layer interacts with other clip layers

In the case of Transitions, Titles and Generators, most users know they're looking for a title, transition or generator, so these fall into kind-based categories (apart from those that are in a task-based category).

@alex4d
Last Edit: 15 Nov 2012 12:28 by alex4D.

Splitting the List 15 Nov 2012 18:58 #17308

• cazasnark
  • Fresh Boarder
Maybe a good start, and the obvious choice, is to keep the same FCPX categories like effects, titles, transitions etc?

Splitting the List 15 Nov 2012 19:03 #17309

• youngeddie
  • Expert Boarder
I would just like to say one more time how much I appreciate the hard work of the kind and generous folks that create these plugins. You guys are amazing!!!

Thanks, Eddie

Splitting the List 15 Nov 2012 19:08 #17310

• Simon Ubsdell
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 380
cazasnark wrote:
Maybe a good start, and the obvious choice, is to keep the same FCPX categories like effects, titles, transitions etc?

For reasons that Alex has gone into, this wouldn't be the kind of organisation that would most help.

If you're looking for a "plug-in", "effect", "template", call it what you will, you're looking to solve a particular problem or find a particular design solution.

What you don't know is whether the solution that will work for you is an Effect, a Title or a Generator. Depending on the developer's thinking, it could be any one of these.

My feeling is that Alex's suggestion is the best so far - the categories make sense in terms of what you would go hunting for.
  • Page: