Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27

Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 15 Jun 2012 12:52 #9851

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1279
http://www.lafcpug.org/user_schedule.html

Final Cut Pro X Update
Get an update from Apple on everything that has been going on with Final Cut Pro X:

- Significant new feature releases
- In action case studies of real life deployments
- Extensive third-party integration
- Demo of the latest features

Plus we welcome Steve Martin of Ripple Training who will show us what you don’t know about FCP X, and that's collaborative editing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 15 Jun 2012 16:41 #9859

• sidderke
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Very curious if Apple themselves are gonna be there. Can't wait to see the new updates. I hope it's going to be rather big, and maybe change some people's perspectives on FCP X.
And very curious if R3D support is going to be in there, and if so, how it will be implemented.

Hopefully this will be available online?

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 15 Jun 2012 17:41 #9860

Sounds very interesting.

I hope someone will post a video of the event so we can see it over here in the UK.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 15 Jun 2012 18:41 #9861

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
"Get an update from Apple..." Yes, it is Apple themselves.

Apple has posted on the FCP web site the following since the 10.0.4 update: "New Features Coming Later This Year: Multichannel audio editing tools, Dual viewers, MXF plug-in support, RED camera support" Not sure when anything will be coming, but they've been swift about things so far. Whatever doesn't come in next week's expected update, I'm sure they'll talk about.

Micheal Horton told me that they're not allowed to video the Apple presentation, but will video Steve Martin's presentation.

There won't be any single huge update. Apple has been pumping out as much as they can every three months. We're do this month for another one. 10.0.5 doesn't count, it wasn't an "FCP" update, it was an "Apple product family" update for retina display. They can only write code and debug is so fast, software coding is a slow process. FCP X is the fastest growing, most often updated NLE already.

I'm hoping, and been asking around, if anyone is going to attend, can they do a live blog post or anything during the presentation. I'll do what I can to assist anyone who will.
Last Edit: 15 Jun 2012 18:45 by BenB.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 15 Jun 2012 19:34 #9864

Assuming you and I are correct Ben, and 10.0.6 drops in the next week or two, Apple's presentation will be more interesting for what they say rather than what they show; since the update will have already been released by that point.

Steve Martin has in the past received beta builds of FCP updates. So who knows, maybe we'll even see him demoing some as-yet unreleased collaborative editing features.

Exciting.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 15 Jun 2012 20:17 #9868

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
If we don't get a "functionality update" next week, a lot of folks are going to be pissed off.

Steve is under NDA and will never be able to breath a word about unreleased features/functions. I've had them in the past, and Apple's are super strict. So don't hold your breath.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 15 Jun 2012 20:20 #9870

I'd never imagine Steve would, especially after how his training vids leaked before the lunch last year. I meant he might be demoing collaborative features we might see in 10.0.6, which would be released before the 27th.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 15 Jun 2012 20:20 #9871

• fcpguru
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
I'll be there and hopefully live tweet it (@fcpxguru), depending on whether a WiFi network is operational or not. Cell service in the theater is atrocious so this plan may all fall apart.

Excited to see what they'll demo - hopefully it's some new features!

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 15 Jun 2012 20:27 #9872

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
Disproportionate Pictures wrote:
I meant he might be demoing collaborative features we might see in 10.0.6, which would be released before the 27th.

Ah, yeah, right, that would be cool. At this point, he's got a MacBreak Studio podcast on this subject, and as he usually does, repeats that for LAFCPUG but with more detail or some new twist. A new collaboration function would be nice, though. I mean, FCP X does run on top of the old Final Cut Server engine, after all. A super babyfied version of it, but the potential is there.

I don't Tweet, but if someone did that, I'd have to get an account. Or if someone could take notes and post here after the presentation, that would be cool.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 15 Jun 2012 20:28 #9873

• pollux
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Looking forward to the news

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 16 Jun 2012 00:44 #9882

• Scrubelicious
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
fcpguru wrote:
I'll be there and hopefully live tweet it (@fcpxguru), depending on whether a WiFi network is operational or not. Cell service in the theater is atrocious so this plan may all fall apart.

Just for that I am going to follow you! ;)

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 16 Jun 2012 00:48 #9884

I think someone should record it for audio at least. Even if that person doesn't want to post the audio directly, a transcript would probably have enough info for a great fcp.co article!

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 16 Jun 2012 00:48 #9885

• mobiletaylor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
fcpguru wrote:

That would be GREAT!!!

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 00:51 #9968

• screendor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Reading the tea leaves, Larry Jordan has already worked with and developed training for the new update of FCPX.

From his webinars page:

JUNE 27: SNEEK PEAK: NEW SOFTWARE

DESCRIPTION
Shhh…. we can’t talk about this yet. The software hasn’t been announced. BUT, when it is, you’ll learn about it here, first. (And, you can be among the first to learn how it works….)

At least, I'm am assuming it's the FCPX update, since it is the launch date.

Apple maintains a direct line of contact with a few trusted industry thought leaders (or shills, depending on your perspective). So even if we can't attend the event in person, we can check out Larry's webinar.

Here's the link....

www.larryjordan.biz/webinars/

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 00:56 #9969

Exciting stuff. Can't wait to see what's next.

So for the betting men, will we see this update drop tomorrow (19th) or on the 26th.

At this point, seeing as the LAFCPUG meeting and this Larry Jordan webinar are aligning around the 27th, I'm thinking the update will drop on the 26th.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 01:02 #9970

• screendor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
My guess is the update launches on the 27th, at the same or shortly after the LA event.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 01:15 #9971

I'm not sure I'd think about the LAFCPUG appearance as a "launch" event. It's a great opportunity for Apple to update a lot of movers and shakers in one of the most prominent user groups- many of whom are probably still on the fence (or negative) about FCPX. Apple demoing newly released features sends the right message on 2 fronts. New pro features and "we're here to speak directly to you" (and hopefully listen too!).

The more clinical side of me must also point out that FCPX updates have almost exclusively been launched on Tuesdays.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 01:32 #9972

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
Use to be the Tuesday tradition, but Apple has broken out of that over the past year. Will it be on a Tuesday or not? Flip a coin.
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2012 23:12 by BenB.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 02:32 #9977

On the hardware side, I'd agree with you Ben- Apple has thrown the Tuesday tradition out the window.

But as far as FCPX is concerned, they've been remarkably consistent.

10.0.0 - Tuesday June 21st
10.0.1 - Tuesday September 20th
10.0.2 - Wednesday November 16th (this is the oddity)
10.0.3 - Tuesday January 31st
10.0.4 - Tuesday April 10th
10.0.5 - Monday June 11 (tied to Retina MacBook Pro launch)

I'd call that less than random. All things being equal FCPX updates happen on a Tuesday.

As to the fairness issue. Could they really release the update to all ACT and not expect features to leak out? Apple has their list of people people who they've developed relationships with, who they trust with this advanced info for whatever reason. Is it fair? Probably not. But is it fair to call them "Pets"?

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 02:45 #9978

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
Should be interesting. Hoping they're not going to tell us what we already know.
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2012 23:13 by BenB.